cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Were we Robbed By Apple of Downloading free Ring Tones on an iPhone? NOPE!!

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

iPhone iPad Make Your Own Ring Tones From an .MP3 File on a iMac or MacBook!!!

Have the file in your iTunes on your MacBook or iMac. 

The .MP3 file should be no longer than 30 seconds. 

Highlight the .MP3 file in iTunes. 

Then go to File=>Convert=>Create AAC Version

……this will create a second file in iTunes with the extension of .M4A

……to find out what file is the AAC (.M4A) highlight the file and go to Song Info=>File=>AAC audio file

……it has to say “AAC audio file”

Minimize your iTunes screen and slide that file to your Desktop

……at this point you can delete the “AAC audio file” (.M4A) from iTunes. 

Rename the file on the Desktop from xxxxxx.M4A to xxxxxx.MR4

Keep iTunes up and running and attach iPhone or iPad 

Wait for iTunes to see the device at the left top and further down on the left column

……In the left column you will see something like Mary’s iPhone then Music, Movies TV Shows, etc. Plus you will see TONES

Slide the xxxxxx.MR4 file into the area of Mary’s iPhone or open the TONES and slide into TONES. 

That Ring Tone is NOW on your phone!!!

Delete the file on your Desktop. 

Here are some sites for downloading free Ring Tones in MP3 format. I like the first one the best. Download at your own risk. 

https://www.zedge.net/ringtones

http://www.tvadsongs.com

If your mp3 file is longer than 30 seconds I will add to this posting to explain how to shorten the file or take an extract from the mp3 file. 

Both processes can be all done on iTunes. 

edit moved to lounge by mimmo 

6 REPLIES 6

AndreaThomas
New in Town / Nouveau en Ville

So how do I download EDM Remix songs to make ringtones for my iPhone?

Maybe the latest iOS incarnations make it difficult, I don't know. 

In the past I used software (like iCopyBot and iCopyTrans) to copy/move any files I chose to and from whatever folders I chose. Completely circumented iOS and iTunes and Apple Store, used whatever audio files I liked. I recall that "ringtone" was a distinct checkbox in the software's user data choices (an audio file in a system directory), and I that had to convert my pretty OGGs into yucky AACs. 

I've basically been using all the same "custom" ringtones and notification sounds for over a decade, lol. I was willing to try an iPhone for a month, I wasn't willing to let it assert Apple's preferences over my own.

Other than end-users being expected (or forced) to play the Apple's games I don't really see how "free" can be a rip off. 

Karnbot13

Well, if there's one thing Public Mobile members are good at, it's workarounds

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@88cranston I never have to look; when I'm outside of my home, my phone is on silent, and my smartwatch is on vibrate.  I know the call is for me when my wrist starts buzzing.  But I digress.

Apple makes it tough eh?  Sounds like it's time to switch to Android.  Quite straightforward to upload any music file you like and choose it as your ringtone.  Bam.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

88cranston

@srlawren wrote:

@88cranston  (like that annoying iPhone ringtone virtually everyone with an iPhone uses). 

Right. And when one rings....every looks to see if it is theirs.  I have a unique Coca Cola ringtone that distinquishes me. 

My other points are:

1. Apple has made it hard to even download a ring tone online and then upload it via iTunes. They have removed that option in iTunes. I guess they want you to "buy" everything.

2. Just pointing out that there is a work around. Hoping to help others. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@88cranston does anyone even bother with custom ringtones any more?  I know I was big into making my own, maybe 10-15 years ago.  Lately it seems everyone has their phone on silent or vibrate, or uses the default ringtones (like that annoying iPhone ringtone virtually everyone with an iPhone uses). 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Need Help? Let's chat.