cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vaccine Discussion

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Note this thread was broken off of this topic Re: Unofficial announcement of the monthly community reward

@Anonymous 

It's frustrating when others put your life on hold or restrict it because they only care about them themselves!  Average mean wait times for THR surgery 19 weeks. Currently finishing my 49th week on the waitlist. Previous wait times....12 weeks, 4 weeks and 6 weeks cancelled the day before surgery on the first day of the pandemic shutdown in March 2020 rescheduled wait time 12 weeks.

Get your shot bc hinterland dwellers! So I can walk again it will be miraculous!!😁

15 REPLIES 15

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@stevenanto wrote:

@CFPartDeux 

When I wrote not at risk I meant that even though I would get covid I would have really good chances of beating as have all my peers within my age group who have gotten it. My brother included. 

Well, there's several counters to that argument of "risk".....

1.) It doesn't affect everyone in the same way, or to the same extent,

2.) When did all those people you know get it..... a while ago, perhaps? In which case it may have been the original version, and not the current Delta variant, which is more transmissable, and apparently affects younger people(read: <50yrs. old) harder than the original.

3.) Almost the entire Vancouver Canucks roster got it, and IIRC it was the variant from Brazil, and although they all recovered, and are in your same age group, or younger than you, AND you KNOW they're all extremely fit, and eat properly, so therefore SHOULD have good immune systems, SOME of those guys apparently got QUITE ill.

as for the needles. It is a combination of everything, there something about the smell of the hospital that gets me started

LOL, I hear ya - I'm pretty sure NOBODY likes that smell..... not even those that work there..... maybe ESPECIALLY those that work there. 👎  OTOH, I don't know what it's like where you are, but around here(Fraser Valley, in BC), the vaccinations aren't being given in hospitals, and that smell isn't even present. Personally, I had my 2 shots in a large room that's essentially a vacant retail space in a local mall. Our neighbour got his 2 shots at the local hospital, BUT it was in a covered(pop-up canopies) area of the hospital parking lot, with zero chance of that smell being around.

and also the day and morning leading up to it. looking away or blowing my birthday candles just dont work for me lol. 

LOL, I've HEARD about people like you, but never actually known one! 😁

Im sorry but I dont know how to do a reply like you have done, it looks much more organized. 

Depends on what sort of device you're using..... the ability to access all the editing functions of the forum software doesn't work for mobile devices, or at least it didn't use to work(MAYBE PM has fixed it, and I just didn't notice any posts on the topic, but I doubt it)...... I'm using a desktop computer to do this.

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@CFPartDeux 

When I wrote not at risk I meant that even though I would get covid I would have really good chances of beating as have all my peers within my age group who have gotten it. My brother included. 

as for the needles. It is a combination of everything, there something about the smell of the hospital that gets me started and also the day and morning leading up to it. looking away or blowing my birthday candles just dont work for me lol. 

Im sorry but I dont know how to do a reply like you have done, it looks much more organized. 

CFPartDeux

@Anonymous wrote:

@CFPartDeux : I was barely aware it happened on the second shot to the point that I wonder if I was faked out. It's a conspiracy!! I remember the slight sting on the first. But it's all over so fast.

I know EXACTLY what you mean. My wife is a nurse, and with all the COVID coverage we've watched on TV, showing people(mostly nurses) giving the needles, she's commented LOTS of times about the lousy technique so many of them have, i.e. apparently you should "dart" the needle in for the least amount of patient discomfort, but LOTS of the TV coverage shows the needles being administered via "pushing" it in, which gives the most discomfort. Well, due to her comments, when I went for my 1st shot, I was intending to pay close attention to whether I got a "darter" or a "pusher", but before I'd even turned my head to check, the nurse doing the deed had already done it, and I barely felt anything, so I'm assuming she successfully used the "dart" technique. 👍  I don't really recall seeing what the nurse did on the 2nd shot either, but given that it was only slightly more noticeable, I'd say it must've been a "dart" as well. 😁

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CFPartDeux : I was barely aware it happened on the second shot to the point that I wonder if I was faked out. It's a conspiracy!! I remember the slight sting on the first. But it's all over so fast.

CFPartDeux

@stevenanto wrote:

people all have their opinion on this matter, it can get very heated when two people or groups have very different opinions and you are there watching them argue over this subject. 

Feels like this will be like one of those subjects that you should not bring up like politics religion, etc

It sure seems to be that way, ESPECIALLY south of the border! 🙄 👎

There is evidence on both side about  vaccine efficacy and covid.

What evidence is there against it? The Astra Zeneca and J&J has produced blood clots(some fatal) in an extremely small number of people, and the Pfizer(and I believe the Moderna as well) has produced some swelling around the heart, in young men, in a very small number of cases, and apparently clears up within a few days. Anything I'm missing, other than the wingnut conspiracy crap floating around the internet? 🤔

I don't know what to believe as I am a numbers guy and I the odds of getting it covid and it actually taking my life are very low.

Well, depending on where you're located, that may be somewhat true. Clearly, down south that's not the case, given that approx. 620,000 people & their surviving family members, would say otherwise. That, and the "numbers" currently say that out of all the new cases lately, which are going up pretty much everywhere, due in large part to the Delta variant, 95%+ are among the unvaccinated, or those that have had only 1 shot, AND it's largely in YOUR age group.

I am not at risk

Uhm.... while you're certainly not required to answer, I'm rather curious why you'd say that.... do you never leave home? 😮

but that is not the reason why I will not take the vaccine. It is because I have a huge phobia of needles, I would rather swim with sharks. I get the sweats and pass out every time. Yes I was that kid in school where 3 nurses had to hold me down. The last needle I got was 10 years ago and yes even at 20 years old I passed out. My wife, girlfriend at the time, couldnt believe it when she saw it first hand, she always laughs about it. 

Ok, so I just have to ask..... does that happen before you've even been jabbed, i.e. does just being in the setting where you're going to get a shot make you pass out, or is it while seeing the needle gettin' jabbed in that sets you off? I'm guessing simply looking away wouldn't do the trick for you? 🤔

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@stevenanto 

I hope that they will come out with the oral vaccine for people like you and the children.  But at the mean time, wear masks when you go out.

Stay positive, test negative, have better and better days.

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

people all have their opinion on this matter, it can get very heated when two people or groups have very different opinions and you are there watching them argue over this subject. 

Feels like this will be like one of those subjects that you should not bring up like politics religion, etc

There is evidence on both side about  vaccine efficacy and covid. I don't know what to believe as I am a numbers guy and I the odds of getting it covid and it actually taking my life are very low. I am not at risk but that is not the reason why I will not take the vaccine. It is because I have a huge phobia of needles, I would rather swim with sharks. I get the sweats and pass out every time. Yes I was that kid in school where 3 nurses had to hold me down. The last needle I got was 10 years ago and yes even at 20 years old I passed out. My wife, girlfriend at the time, couldnt believe it when she saw it first hand, she always laughs about it. 

CFPartDeux

@darlicious wrote:

@CFPartDeux 

Anyone needing their first shot in arm can get one at any walk in clinic. Walk in, get jabbed, wzlk out. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.....

Fixed that for you. 😜

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I got my second shot over 2 months ago.  I still wear mask inside a building as I don't know who is a carrier.  I don't want to catch anything. 

BTW, Influenza shot is about to start in 2 - 3 months.

I am 2 weeks clear as of today and my kids get their second dose on Friday!!!

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@CFPartDeux 

Anyone needing their first shot in arm can get one at any walk in clinic. Walk in, get jabbed, wzlk out. Easy peasy.....

CFPartDeux

@AE_Collector wrote:

BC had to put the mask requirement back for indoors in the Interior areas but numbers are still climbing so bars there just got shut down yet again. Overall around the greater Vancouver area I see people wearing masks in most indoor locations (not including restaurants) but in my limited amount of “out and about” time it looks to me as though mask use is slowly dropping. Right as the threat is climbing. On a similar note I love seeing the State governors of states like Texas and Florida on TV proudly proclaiming that their citizens know what’s best and will do the right thing. Surprise … you’re Dead Wrong about that.

Literally! 

I hear ya - that DeSantis idiot in Florida clearly demonstrates, just like Trump, how much he really cares about the people that elected him! I honestly don't know how these idiots can look at themselves in the mirror, without being ashamed that they're politicizing something that can literally kill the very people that voted for them. 🙄

CFPartDeux

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey here's an incentive to get the shot...I'll SHUT UP about it. 🙂

This thread seems rather quiet since I started my monthly admonishments a while back. I'm so sick and tired of all these people that just can't be friggin bothered to help themselves and their fellow travelers and so find any stupid excuse to not bother.

And then I read stories on CNN, about people that text their spouse from their bed in the hospital, saying, "I should've gotten the vaccine!", and then they die some time later, or the doctor in a COVID ward hearing NUMEROUS people pleading for the vaccine, AFTER they've already caught COVID 🙄, and are just about to be intubated, and many of those people dying later on! 😞

It astounds me that so many people are freaking MAGA hat wearers IN CANADA too!.

Yeah, that one makes ZERO sense, other than they want to advertise their intelligence, or lack thereof..... 🙄

BC had to put the mask requirement back for indoors in the Interior areas but numbers are still climbing so bars there just got shut down yet again. Overall around the greater Vancouver area I see people wearing masks in most indoor locations (not including restaurants) but in my limited amount of “out and about” time it looks to me as though mask use is slowly dropping. Right as the threat is climbing. On a similar note I love seeing the State governors of states like Texas and Florida on TV proudly proclaiming that their citizens know what’s best and will do the right thing. Surprise … you’re Dead Wrong about that.

AE_Collector

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey here's an incentive to get the shot...I'll SHUT UP about it. 🙂

This thread seems rather quiet since I started my monthly admonishments a while back. I'm so sick and tired of all these people that just can't be friggin bothered to help themselves and their fellow travelers and so find any stupid excuse to not bother. It astounds me that so many people are freaking MAGA hat wearers IN CANADA too!.

Argh

Need Help? Let's chat.