cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect WIFI to my iphone

moirawesterby
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am trying to connect my iphone to the wifi on my internet. I have gone into Settings - WI-FI  - connected to my internet provider - input correct password and it still says Public Mobile. I had a problem last night where my internet went down for over 2 hours. That's when my phone went to public mobile for WI-FI . The internet on the TV came back on but it didn't switch back over to my tv internet provider. I called my tv provider and they strengthened my password as it said the password/security was weak.

Frustrated as hell. Please help if you can.

Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7

hughdyment9
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This is so weird!! I had a similar problem too… but I waited for about 48 hours and everything was back to normal. I tryed re-setting my phone too, just like you. I’m so sorry to hear you are having these difficulties and hopefully it will resolve its self soon.

moirawesterby

I don’t know how to turn off cellular data but I turned off WIFi. When WIFI I could open internet. So I think WIFI is working but it just won’t say my provider. Going to see what my bill says when I get it. Thank you all for your help. 😁

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

All kinds of confused terms used here.

Yes, turn off cellular data. While you're at it, turn off wifi assist if you like to have control of your data usage. Turn on wifi. Find your local wifi, which might be hidden so you would need to know the name, and use the password to connect. Then you should have your local wifi back.

How many boxes do you have for your local service? Do you have a router box? A tv pvr/dvr box? A streaming box? All in one? Are they all the same provider? Do you see any antennas sticking out of any?

moirawesterby

Yes and also reset it.

CathMacK

I hate to ask, but have you completely shut down your phone?

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@moirawesterby wrote:

I am trying to connect my iphone to the wifi on my internet. I have gone into Settings - WI-FI  - connected to my internet provider - input correct password and it still says Public Mobile. I had a problem last night where my internet went down for over 2 hours.

If you leave both wifi and data turned on, on a iPhone, when your are in range of wifi that you auto log on to you should NOT be using data. Once out of range your phone WILL use data.  

Your internet provider provides internet access and usually has wi fi. 

Your cell phone problem may provide you with data that allows internet access.

That's when my phone went to public mobile for WI-FI .

For data

The internet on the TV came back on but it didn't switch back over to my tv internet provider.

Learn to manage your Data by turning it on and off. 

I called my tv provider and they strengthened my password as it said the password/security was weak.

Know that makes absolutely no sense. 

Frustrated as hell.

Please help if you can.

Thank you.

Outdoorsman
Mayor / Maire

@moirawesterby hi what type of phone do you have? note;public has nothing to do with your wifi thats between your phone and your internet service provider 

Need Help? Let's chat.