cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Took a break from the Community....

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

....because, well, I'm in the Hospital 😩

This has not been a good day. After spending the last two weeks isolated inside the house, I decided to go horseback riding, something I haven't done in many, many years.
It turned out to be a horrible big mistake!

I got on the horse and started out slowly, but then we went a little faster; before I knew it, we were going as fast as the horse could go. I couldn't take the pace and fell off and caught my foot in the saddle stirrup, the horse was then dragging me. The horse just would not stop.

I thought I was going to die...

Thankfully the manager at SuperStore came out and unplugged the machine.

He actually had the nerve to take the rest of my coins so I wouldn't try to ride the Elephant...

How many of you actually read what I wrote? 

31 REPLIES 31

@JoyLuck wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@JoyLuck 

Geez where did you dig that one out from? From 1980/81?

I just googled images. We had 3 record stores (A&B, Millers, Kelly’s) within blocks of each other in the 70’s. A&B was the best of them. People would line up after Christmas dinner to get the best Boxing Day deals.

Wow, there's a "blast from the past" - had TOTALLY forgotten about both Millers & Kelly's!

@JoyLuck wrote:

I do miss A&B Sound when they had LP’s. Boxing Day was crazy.

HOLY CRAP, look at those SSSSSSMOKIN' deals - $860 for a Sanyo VCR, and $540 for a 14" RCA Colortrak TV!!! 😲

@ShawnC13  Ah.....you were too quick for my edit!

Anonymous
Not applicable

A&B was the best...and local. I would go there to avoid the big american chains. Alas.

@darlicious wrote:

@JoyLuck 

I just googled images. We had 3 record stores (A&B, Millers, Kelly’s) within blocks of each other in the 70’s. A&B was the best of them. People would line up after Christmas dinner to get the best Boxing Day deals. 

@darlicious wrote:

@ShawnC13 

@darlicious wrote:

@ShawnC13 

I only quoted it was JoyLuck's photo

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@JoyLuck 

@JoyLuck wrote:

@mpcdesign wrote:

@dabr, wholly molly, totally forgot about Eatons.  I think when I grew up, it was Eatons, Sears, HBC and Woodwards. Now, what's left? 

86B3399C-43AF-4B95-8DA8-3D43EB5EC103.jpeg

I was in there at least once every two weeks (payday) getting cd's or DVD's  so much money wasted on what I don't have anymore as it is all digital now lol

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@mpcdesign wrote:

@dabr, wholly molly, totally forgot about Eatons.  I think when I grew up, it was Eatons, Sears, HBC and Woodwards. Now, what's left? 

86B3399C-43AF-4B95-8DA8-3D43EB5EC103.jpeg

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@mpcdesign haha amazing! 

@Korth wrote:

Staples and Best Buy call them "prepaid merch cards". I learned the hard way that they're not accepted for online purchases, lol, would've just used credit card but at time of purchase they were both intended as gifts for someone else.

I haven't tried with Staples, but Best Buy Canada does accept gift cards for online orders, the only real condition that I know being that a maximum of two gift cards can be used per order.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

Staples and Best Buy call them "prepaid merch cards". I learned the hard way that they're not accepted for online purchases, lol, would've just used credit card but at time of purchase they were both intended as gifts for someone else.

@darlicious wrote:

@dabr   You can redeem your HBC points online for a gift card (which don't expire.)

@darlicious  Thanks, that's a good idea.   I might just have to do that, although technically  they really should be called "paper gift cards", because IIRC from purchasing online gift cards before, HBC just emails you the gift card/voucher. 

@dabr   You can redeem your HBC points online for a gift card (which don't expire.)

@mpcdesign wrote:

@dabr, my BC points expired awhile ago. They used to have no expiry dates, and now after a year of inactivity, poof, goes the dragon!

I even had gift cards that went poof too!

Oh well!

Bench Canada retail stores are no longer in malls either! I recently saw the news on that, and I quickly used up $160 of gift cards that night. Being superstitious, I bought something red for the next five years for Chinese New Year (supposedly its for good luck)  

Are you saying the points expire now if not used within 12 months on the HBC card?  I definitely better find something to purchse there soon then!  OTH I don't want to go into stores unneccessarily either right now...hmmm.  Dilemma 🙂

@dabr, my BC points expired awhile ago. They used to have no expiry dates, and now after a year of inactivity, poof, goes the dragon!

I even had gift cards that went poof too!

Oh well!

Bench Canada retail stores are no longer in malls either! I recently saw the news on that, and I quickly used up $160 of gift cards that night. Being superstitious, I bought something red for the next five years for Chinese New Year (supposedly its for good luck)  

@mpcdesign wrote:

@mpcdesign  Kind of sad that only one retailer is left...I guess the question is for how long though, especially given the current circumstances.  I'm thinking not too long...I better spend my $10 HBC rewards points before they also become extinct!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Eatons...

@mpcdesign 

When I moved to Vancouver in the early nineties Woodward was still running down the street from army & navy which is still going strong serving the surrounding neighborhoods. I shopped a few times at fields at what is still my local....kingsgate mall. It's now anchored by buy low foods (buy high.) One the best little malls left in Vancouver. Everything you need : the liquor store, shoppers drug mart, an okay grocery store and various merchants, florist, hair salon, tailor, jewelry store, dentist, the source and a credit union.

There's still be supervalue at commercial and 1st, there's at least one stongs on the west side in kerrisdale I think. I picked up a couple good deals at the close out sale of zellers in the oak ridge mall around 2011. It was around that time the Woodward building was transformed and London drugs along with nesters took over the main floor of that iconic landmark. Nesters still honours the $1.49 Tuesday's with a grocery special priced at you guessed it....$1.49.

@ShawnC13, No way, HBC bought out K-Mart? That explains why I had visited a K-Mart, it eerily reminded me of Zellers? I thought it was a mere coincidence! BTW, ShawnC, You know, I was kidding about you being old. 😀

@JoyLuck.....Can you say $1.49 Tuesday!  Did you know, I didn't know after reading the comments, Quality Foods is using the jingle now?

I remember shopping as a kid with my mom down in Hastings street aka Skid Row. Woodwards was by Army & Navy I think, because I remember going from building to another building, or was that the same store? My mom would bring my siblings and I along to get sale items. There were a few times, my mom would give us money and ask us to buy it too, I wouldn't know if there were limits back in the day because I wouldn't know nor cared, but it kinda makes sense too! Does anyone remember or know if $1.49 day had limits for items? @darlicious or @JoyLuck you know this (since you maybe born and raised in BC)?

@Anonymous, Fields is still around? I had to look that one up, there are 68 stores still in Canada!

It's kinda sad seeing all these Canadian companies, and with online stores and now COVID-19, I shutter what to think about what will happen to these businesses, especially the small shops! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JoyLuck wrote:

.....and Woolworth, Woodwards, Fields, Woolco.....

Fields is still around. I know two in BC: Clearwater and 100 Mile House.

@mpcdesign wrote:

@ShawnC13, K-Mart? Wow, you must be old!? That's okay, I remember them, I think we still have a couple of them around in BC still.

Does anyone here remember Super-Valu? Stongs? Zellers?

.....and Woolworth, Woodwards, Fields, Woolco.....

@mpcdesign wrote:

@ShawnC13, K-Mart? Wow, you must be old!? That's okay, I remember them, I think we still have a couple of them around in BC still.

@mpcdesign Zellers well HBC bought out Kmart in Canada and made them Zellers and closed some stores then Zellers is gone as well.

@mpcdesign wrote:

I don't THINK K-Mart still exists in Canada.... I'm pretty sure they're still down south.... ISTR seeing one in Bellingham. Super Valu.... I THINK there might still be 1 or 2 somewhere in Vancouver. Stongs.... I've heard of them.... didn't know they were gone, though. As for Zellers, well, while it's been a few years for sure, they haven't been gone THAT long.

I knew it was a joke as soon as he leads off with took a break from the Community.

I have a story that is true.  While in high school I worked Kmart when they had them in Canada.  On this particular day, we had a visit from our District Manager.  It was lunchtime so I was walking around the store with my Assitant manager and the front end manager.  We came up to the coin-operated horse ride.  The Assitant manager dared me to ride this so I put in the quarter and start the ride, all of  a sudden the two managers I am with are gone and I look up and see my store manager walking down the aisle with the District Manager.  Thinking I am totally done here as I can see my assistant managers bald heading bobbing up and down through e racks as he is running away, the store manager asks what I am doing.  So I say "Just enjoying a little ride on my lunch break but my feet keep slipping off as the footpeg is loose".  District manager looks at me and says "Well we can't have that happening in the store"  Totally picturing myself being fired the DM gets down on his knees and starts to hand tighten the bolt to tighten up the footpegs.  He then tells the store manager to make sure he gets a wrench to tighten it up the rest of the way!.

As I walk to the back of the store after leaving the ride the Assitant manager asks what happens and he can't believe it.  The best part is the Manager told the Assistant manager to make sure the bolt was tight and to always check it every couple of days. lol

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@mpcdesign wrote:

How many of you actually read what I wrote

NDesai_0-1587346332111.png

@dabr wrote:

Lol!!    Alright I'll confess, you had me sympathizing and I was going to wish you a speedy recovery up until the last few lines...good one 🤣🤣

Ditto! 🤣

Need Help? Let's chat.