cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Lounge

Korth
Mayor / Maire

"Want to talk about your interests, hobbies, or anything that’s not related to phone-stuff? It’s all here."

Alright.

Books. Who reads books? What are some good books?

I'm becoming convinced that literature just ain't what it used to be. It's becoming as vapid and mediocre (and sometimes obnoxious) as film and television have become over the last couple decades. As pop music became during the decades before that.

Is it just me and my uncool uncorrect antiquated dinosaur sensibilities? Or is this last bastion of entertainment and information finally becoming worthless trash along with the other media?

21 REPLIES 21

This is, sort of, lounging but may be off topic.

Screenshot 2019-06-04 at 9.32.17 PM.png

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

No limits in my experience but I will find out if STARTING a topic in Off Topic (Lounge) limits the number of moves.

@AE_Collector wrote:

Anything posted here that is “Off Topic” will likely be moved to “Plans and Add-Ons”.

Is there any limit to how many times an off topic can be moved off topic?

(Not necessarily implying anything in particular by addressing this question to you, sir.)

Caution:

Anything posted here that is “Off Topic” will likely be moved to “Plans and Add-Ons”.

(Couldn’t resist)

AE_Collector

Korth
Mayor / Maire

On my journey I've discovered the absolutely best music in the world ... Polish disco.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

After three days and 3800 calories of Beat Saber and I finally, finally beat "Coffin Dance" on Normal. Without injury, although my poor little IKEA lamp in the corner was savagely murdered before I learned this game needs a lot of empty floor space.

But I was feeling pretty good about besting Normal. Booya!

Then I looked up how others performed on YouTube. 🙄 🤔 😒

@darlicious wrote:

anything by Kurt Vonnegut

I've read all the Vonnegut I could obtain, years ago, lol. Just finished the trilogy I started a week ago. Kind of a weak (predictable) ending but lots of good ideas throughout all three books.

I might not be reading for a while. Just bought Beat Saber and it's addictive ...

@Korth 

The Diceman   by Luke Rhinehart (sic?)

Perfume  by Patrick Suskind

anything by Kurt Vonnegut

Korth
Mayor / Maire

I've just finished the first book of the Golden Oecumene trilogy by John C Wright.

It's kinda space opera. So, lol, it embraces all the usual action/adventure/sci-fi tropes. (Cheesy but I like that kind of cheese.)

But it's also deep-future eschatology kinda stuff, and the author is evidently an educated philosopher. Well, an educated lawyer and technical writer, actually, but still enough of an esoteric weirdo to be astute towards philosphical topics. So the book explores some interesting answers to interesting questions. It was a bit incomprehensible until I got partway through the story.

I put down my novelizations of the Blade Runner movies. The movies were very awesome. The books were very not awesome. I can already tell they're gonna pick up a lot of dust before I get around to finishing them.

Turns out I have a friend who'll loan me her copy of The Cuckoo's Calling. No promises, but I'll give it a shot.

Lorca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

😋

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@Lorca wrote:

I also didn’t want to mention [something] because it was fun for me not knowing when I read them.

Oh. I ruined it. I'm a ruiner. Sorry for the spoiler, lol.

@JoyLuck wrote:

@dabr 

I had not seen the movie, but did enjoy the book. After reading Into Thin Air, I read the  following which was from another point of view of the tragedy that took place:

The Climb: Tragic Ambitions on Everest 

Author: Anatoli Boukreev (RIP)

@JoyLuck   I think I might just re-watch the movie again as I've seen several of these types of disaster movies and I know two or three or them were based upon true events and I've usually enjoyed watching most of them.  But I'm quite interested in reading the original book about this particular tragedy.

@dabr 

I had not seen the movie, but did enjoy the book. After reading Into Thin Air, I read the  following which was from another point of view of the tragedy that took place:

The Climb: Tragic Ambitions on Everest 

Author: Anatoli Boukreev (RIP)

Lorca

lol well if it’s a thread about books for all then I recommend the Cormorant Strike books! Not made for tv btw, that was done later. I also listened to them on audiobook and the narrator was exceptional. I also didn’t want to mention Rowling because it was fun for me not knowing when I read them.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@dabr wrote:

... no disrespect to @Korth's preferences of course! 😊

Hey, this is a thread about books for all. Not a thread about books for Korth.

Re: Into Thin Air

@JoyLuck   I do remember watching the movie based upon the events of that book but whilst I thought it was a pretty decent movie (although I maybe mixing it up with other similar movies as it was quite a few years), I believe the reviews suggested that it wasn't really an accurate depiction of the actual events.  Certainly sounds like an interesting book to read, although have to admit I don't read as much as I should or used in the past but just might look into that one.

@Lorca  That sounds like an interesting series of books to read with no disrespect to @Korth's preferences of course! 😊

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@Korth 

I also enjoyed Into Thin Air

3E966CF2-949F-425A-A11F-96103F80F113.jpeg

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@Lorca wrote:

Korth, try reading Robert Galbraith’s Cormoran Strike series. It starts with The Cuckoo’s Calling.

A saga of 5 to 15 (or more) "made for television" books ... written (under pseudonym) by J. K. Rowling ... about a private-detective /slash/ ex-royal-military-police-special-investigation-branch-officer.

I do thank you for this recommendation, but this is very much not my preferred kind of genre. I tend to like my fiction more edgy, contemplative, and provocative than what BBC has traditionally provided.

Lorca

Korth, try reading Robert Galbraith’s Cormoran Strike series. It starts with The Cuckoo’s Calling.

@JoyLuck 

I remember following the Theranos story quite avidly for a while. I have a little bias.

Very interesting that Carreyrou should be the author of this "biography". Because he also has a little bias, lol.

I'll see if my local bookstores or libraries have this one.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@Korth 

I enjoyed the following book recently:

Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup

Author: John Carreyrou

You can also see lots of videos regarding Elizabeth Holmes on youtube.

Need Help? Let's chat.