cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Oracle

Re: The Air Frying Thread

@ecowen wrote:

What's a good brand of Air Fryer to buy?  Is the Ninja any good?  I think it' about $100 at Costco.

I would recommend this unit.  The reason is that it is biggest square basket unit that I have been able to find.  The volume number is very deceptive.  The more thinly spread out the food, the more crispy the texture.  If the stack is too thick, it will end up being mushy.  If the unit is small, you will end up cooking individual portions at a time.  So, go big or go home.  

As far as the buttons go, don't be fooled by more is better.  At the end of the day, this thing works pretty much like an oven.  Time and temperature are the only parameters that matter.  Presets are meaningless because portion size determines cooking time.  

https://www.kitchenstuffplus.com/chefman-digital-low-fat-air-fryer-black-stainless-steel

Highlighted
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ecowen wrote:

What's a good brand of Air Fryer to buy?  Is the Ninja any good?  I think it' about $100 at Costco.

Ninja is a one model. It's a brand name and has an entire line of products. Some will have advantages and disadvantages over other models. Which are you thinking of purcahsing?  I'm not so sure about the Ninja Foodi units.  All-on-one units are great for saving space and psosibly some money over buying multipel appliances, but they tend not to be the best for doing any one thing. I see the pictures of the Foodi models and to me, needing to use oven mits to remove your fries from the unit seems to be a bit of hassle. You also have to spend a minute converting the unit into the different modes and store the extra parts.

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Which one to Buy?

I'm thinking of the Chiefman Turbo Fry.  Sold at Best Buy. 

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
Highlighted

Re: Which one to Buy?

@ecowen wrote:

I'm thinking of the Chiefman Turbo Fry.  Sold at Best Buy. 

I searched the Best Buy Canada website and Best Buy doesn't sell any Chefman products. The product that you're looking at is sold by a third party (which could be anyone). Either way, $99.97 for a 3.5L air fryer with a manual knob isn't a good price.

Highlighted

@ecowen wrote:

Or this one,    https://www.kitchenstuffplus.com/chefman-digital-low-fat-air-fryer-black-stainless-steel?eid=f9f1164...

8L is quite large for an air fryer. Do you have enough counter space? 

Amazon has this one for $115.  5.8 quarts is still enough to cook a whole chicken in (maybe even a small turkey).  The reviews are pretty good too. I know that there are fake reviews for some products, but those that make fake reviews can't take away bad 1 star reviews.  It's sold by a third party seller but is shipped by Amazon. That means that you would be covered by Amazon's return policies.   https://www.amazon.ca/Innsky-Electric-Stainless-Touchscreen-Nonstick/dp/B07MR3KWSL/ref=sr_1_31_sspa?...

Highlighted
Good Neighbour / Bon Voisin

I think the Chefman would be great.  The basket is larger than most air fryers.  Although I do like the 2 I have - Black and Decker and Kalorik, I at times do wish that they were bigger.   As someone else here mentioned, I also love french fries.  When first using an air fryer, I wasn’t too pleased with the results of my air fryer fries.  But, I guess I’ve learned how to do them so that they taste almost as good as deep fried.  I use a large plastic bag, add about a tablespoon of oil to the bag, and I put the raw fries in and shake the fries around so that a little oil gets onto each fry, and I kind of massage the oil and fries.  It takes about 25 minutes to fry them, and I take the basket out and shake them often.  Anyway,, it works for me.

Tags (1)
Highlighted
Good Neighbour / Bon Voisin

I have made beans in the slow cooker, and in the oven, and really do prefer them done in the Instant Pot.  I don’t know what the reason is behind soaking the beans over night - I thought it was so that they would cook better, but what you are saying does make sense.  Whenever I would do them in the oven or slow cooker, the beans would never get soft enough.  They turn out perfect in the Instant Pot.  My significant other thinks that the Instant Pot beans are better than any of the others that I’ve made.

Tags (1)
Highlighted
Oracle

The insignia air fryer sale is on sale for $69.99 this week until November 12.  The price is pretty compelling.  

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/insignia-digital-air-fryer-5l-5-3qt-black-only-at-best-buy/1378...

Highlighted

@will13am wrote:

The insignia air fryer sale is on sale for $69.99 this week until November 12.  The price is pretty compelling.  

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/insignia-digital-air-fryer-5l-5-3qt-black-only-at-best-buy/1378...

That is a very good price, but I don't expect the quality to be any different than any of the other generic units out there. With inexpensive air fryers, I would expect the non-stick coating to quickly peel off. You can still use the air fryer after that happens, but food will stick more often to the cooking surface.

Need Help? Let's chat.