cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus Optik TV and an external Alexa

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Has anyone done this? 

Any cost from Amazon other than the Alexa?

Does it work well?

Any comments would be appreciated, about an Alexa box and Optik TV. 

23 REPLIES 23

@Anonymous 

I do have usb adapters for my sd cards but not immediate access to windows.... but maybe grumpy neighbour will allow me to borrow his laptop after I activate his credit card for him and update it in his pm account on the weekend.

@BearFBI wrote:

Android is Android. You can sideload anything on it no matter what... 

I have a suggestion, buy a Google certified Android TV box, an android box that runs AOSP may not work well with certain apps.  

To be fair, the proprietary setups from Apple/Google/etc do "just work" straight out of the box - they "just work" quite fine, they're surprisingly clever and useful, they're simple and functional, and they're always fashionable. Specs are usually pretty good (though also usually not particularly awesome, when you look beyond marketing hype). Compatibility is completely assured within the proprietary ecosystem (though also completely frustrating when you try to connect to products from outside the proprietary ecosystem). I've often agreed with this suggestion when advising people in the past - Macs and iPhones and Googles are popular for good reasons and they're the right choice for many people.

But I disagree with the suggestion in this instance. Google TV would be my last choice for the reasons I've stated above, plus it receives too many poor reviews (so do the Alexa devices, btw). I wouldn't even get it for my dinosaur parents, unless they stubbornly insisted.

If you want something that works (and works with best specs!) then buy or build an HTPC with a linux. Hardware will eventually die or become obsolete but it's basically a one-time setup (and one-time cost) which stays good for many years of use.

If you want something fashionable then buy the latest-and-greatest branded box. Expect to replace it after a couple years because it's semi-disposable, only designed to sate the consumer until the next latest-and-greatest box hits the market.

I wouldn't even go with Android at all. Put a linux onto your machine, whether it's an HTPC or not. Cut out all giant OEMs (particularly Google, Apple, and Microsoft). None of their business what you watch (even if they try to make it their business). And none of their control or censorship or "updates" (or new devices) will be invited to interfere with what you're "allowed" to watch.

A Telus Pik TV box is android and is very selective on what apps can be loaded, downloaded or loaded from a USB stick. 

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Korth said "I would expect any decent Android unit to be fully unlocked, to allow end-user configuration and installation of anything. If you can't install things like Kodi/XBMC, Plex, VLC, MPV, WinAmp, opensource codecs, and some kind of browser (to play streaming content from YouTube/Netflix/etc) then you'll find it restricts what you can watch."

Android is Android. You can sideload anything on it no matter what... 

I know quite a bit about Android boxes. 

I have a suggestion, buy a Google certified Android TV box, an android box that runs AOSP may not work well with certain apps.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

My Optik has Google Assistant on 9097. I've never tinkered with it. Can't be bothered.

I was with Shaw Direct for many years and they often have radio remotes that also do IR.

@darlicious wrote:

@LurganIeUk 

Is the telus PVR IR? From the shaw support forum....

I don't know. Telus has a few brands of TV boxes. I have one of each in the house....long story on that. 

I also have a Logitech Harmony hub, Google Home and now Amazon Show(Alexa)  and unfortunately the Bluecurve remote/PVR  is not supported because this device is NOT IR.  The Telus PVR I had previously worked well with Harmony because this was IR but unfortunately I had to leave Telus but thats another story.  Alexa is no different and will also not work with Bluecurve.  The only thing I can do is command my Google Home and Amazon show to turn on the TV and other activities involving turning the TV on or Off but I also still need to use my Bluecurve Remote to switch channels.  First world problem but You would think that Shaw would have thought of this BEFORE launching their PVR.  

Shaw, you can also use me as a beta if you want to try out Harmony/Bluecurve integration. 

DVR PVR they are all recorders that are in one only of your TV boxes and the remote that Telus gives are one of two models. IR? Have no idea...but their web site says Alexa works....and no mention of Google Home. If it does not work.....that's it....I will leave it rest. Too bad that they all protect there products. The thing is...both of the chats I had did not mention Pic Tv that has a voice command option. Chances are we will move to Shaw but only if I can confirm it is real real good or not. 

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/tv-discussions/google-home-alexa/m-p/895

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : Do you have any access to Windows? Are you using one of those USB adapters that you insert the sd card into?

@Korth 

Did you have a corrupted sd card awhile back? I just discovered none of my devices will read my camera's sd card the contains a crap tonne of photos from our last trip to Europe. It's been sitting in my camera this whole time....so not damaged per se.....

What type of computer and program do I need to recover the photos from this micro sd card? thx

@darlicious 

That's another advantage with an HTPC. You buy your remote controller along with whatever adapter/hardware makes it compatible with your TV and your computer. It will continue working indefinitely - unless maybe Microsoft decides to be greedy and break your Windows again - so there's no need to buy new devices and new hardwares every time a big OEM releases their newest shiny toys.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@LurganIeUk 

Is the telus PVR IR? From the shaw support forum....

I also have a Logitech Harmony hub, Google Home and now Amazon Show(Alexa)  and unfortunately the Bluecurve remote/PVR  is not supported because this device is NOT IR.  The Telus PVR I had previously worked well with Harmony because this was IR but unfortunately I had to leave Telus but thats another story.  Alexa is no different and will also not work with Bluecurve.  The only thing I can do is command my Google Home and Amazon show to turn on the TV and other activities involving turning the TV on or Off but I also still need to use my Bluecurve Remote to switch channels.  First world problem but You would think that Shaw would have thought of this BEFORE launching their PVR.  

Shaw, you can also use me as a beta if you want to try out Harmony/Bluecurve integration. 

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/tv-discussions/google-home-alexa/m-p/895

@LurganIeUk 

Android boxes have become a big market in recent years, there are offerings which cover the whole spectrum from cheap garbage to luxury awesomeness. There's now enough market saturation that the products basically price themselves and whether you spend a little or you spend a lot you get exactly what you pay for. A bad experience with a bad Android product (especially an older and/or cheaper one) doesn't mean all Androids are bad, just as a bad experience with a bad car (especially an older and/or cheaper one) doesn't mean all cars are bad.

https://www.techradar.com/best/android-boxes

https://www.androidcentral.com/best-android-tv-boxes

I would personally avoid anything with big branding - Google, Apple, Amazon, Disney, etc - because I expect it will be configured with the usual heavyhanded vendor lock-ins which limit consumer options. Plus all the related "privacy" issues - even if you're unconcerned with "privacy" invasions you will still be annoyed whenever the content-controller decides to censor or delete "your" data. Take a look at all the shows you've saved or collected on your device for later viewing, notice how they sometimes disappear from your archives. (Most people do not notice because if the items aren't listed anymore then they're forgotten, lol.)

I would expect any decent Android unit to be fully unlocked, to allow end-user configuration and installation of anything. If you can't install things like Kodi/XBMC, Plex, VLC, MPV, WinAmp, opensource codecs, and some kind of browser (to play streaming content from YouTube/Netflix/etc) then you'll find it restricts what you can watch.

An HTPC is a "home theater PC" - basically any small cheap computer which is dedicated towards storing and playing your movie/music library. Any gutless little Celeron/Ryzen box with a big hard drive and compatible output ports is easily overkill for this task at the mightiest video/audio resolution and quality. You can even buy prebuilt machines these days, small form factors, cheap, cool, efficient, quiet - nice little designer cases, a powerhouse media computer about the size of a paperback novel.

You can run an Android, a Windows, or a linux. And you don't even have to be particularly tech savvy to build your own these days, you can download all sorts of one-click-install premade packages from countless websites, the enthusiasts and hackers and coders tend to actually deliver a better product with better support than the OEM giants, lol, and all for free. (And, yes, there are many dubious packages, especially the ones relating to digital piracy, but there are also many reputable high-quality offerings. You'd be surprised at how much good stuff is free, and at how much good stuff is already being denied to you on Telus Optik. You're probably already paying a monthly cost to watch stuff which is already free to watch in Canada. Or free to watch in USA or some other country if you install a VPN.)

@Korth wrote:

@LurganIeUk wrote:

Has anyone done this? 

Does it work well?

I'm guessing you have some sort of PVR/DVR, set box, cable box, or smart TV which came from the internet/cable service provider and you want to cut your bill by migrating over to a little Android box or HTPC?

Yes Telus has what is called Optik TV. I runs off of the internet and can used on Optic or Copper cable. They are strong competition to Shaw. So they provide a box that can run off of wifi or can be ethernet hard wired. Mine is the latter. And maybe that is why Alexa did not work. They advertise that you can add Alexa into the mix so voice control will work with the TV box. So I tried at my location and if worked would do for 94 year old MIL. It, Alexa interface, does NOT work!!

I have done the android box thing with Kodi and some other Apps. I had no VPN and may have slipped onto the wrong side of legal. I then purchased legal TV that was cheap from Surf Internet. They provide TV and internet and some other stuff.  Basically they re-sell Shaw. It was up and down -- up and down and never got better and then they expanded to Ontario. A horrible little company with crappy customer service. So was went back to Telus for TV. I always had Telus internet for stability and had unlimited downland and a nice low price. So I won't go that way again. 

HPTC is???

If so, then yes it can be done, it works well, it's perfectly legal and legit. You have to buy your own hardware (around $100+) instead of renting provided hardware (around $10/month).

Not today.....bad experiences. 

There are a couple little caveats:

1) You still have to pay for your internet. So you may not save a whole lot, in fact they often bundle costs in a way which make the DVR/PVR "rental" an attractive option.

Actually Surf Internet TV had a very awkward PVR. 

2) Each content provider or channel has certain content and doesn't have certain content. They typically offer some sort of exclusive content. If you switch away from Optik then you'll probably lose certain shows or channels you liked watching.

Well let's not get into packages or programming!!

Won't buy a package of 5 with one good channel and 4 crappy ones...rip off.

Programming itself is getting worse more advertising per hour and how many CSI, SWAT shows do you want to watch....me none....no wonder why Americans are gun crazy. Then the nurse, doctor and firemen shows....nah!!

I stick to basics plus Netflix and if I could get the news somehow online free over my Apple TV I could consider dropping TV from Telus all together. 

Never the less my MIL might have an option with Shaw TV as they have a remote that accepts voice command. Maybe she could try at her sons house to try before she commits. 

If I could've worked with Telus TV I could have got a better package for her as she had Telus land line and Internet. Right now her Shaw TV is included in her rent. 

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@LurganIeUk wrote:

Has anyone done this? 

Does it work well?

I'm guessing you have some sort of PVR/DVR, set box, cable box, or smart TV which came from the internet/cable service provider and you want to cut your bill by migrating over to a little Android box or HTPC?

If so, then yes it can be done, it works well, it's perfectly legal and legit. You have to buy your own hardware (around $100+) instead of renting provided hardware (around $10/month).

There are a couple little caveats:

1) You still have to pay for your internet. So you may not save a whole lot, in fact they often bundle costs in a way which make the DVR/PVR "rental" an attractive option.

2) Each content provider or channel has certain content and doesn't have certain content. They typically offer some sort of exclusive content. If you switch away from Optik then you'll probably lose certain shows or channels you liked watching.

@darlicious wrote:

@LurganIeUk 

I should say a terrible return policy on electronics. Basically if you break the seal of the package they will not refund you exchange only within 30 days. Even the exchange policy is very limited.

London Drugs used to be good on returns. But I think they have tightened up too. That was a good thing about them and because they were good about returns was a reason why I shopped there. I never abused the policy but I know others may have. My experiences at my place of employment....I saw a lot of abuse.

@LurganIeUk 

I should say a terrible return policy on electronics. Basically if you break the seal of the package they will not refund you exchange only within 30 days. Even the exchange policy is very limited.

@darlicious wrote:

@LurganIeUk 

You can only cast optik tv from your mobile device.....so weird you can get amazon prime on optik tv but you can't get optik tv on amazon tv. The best deal is shopper's drug mart either with their bonus redemption if you have 50k in points=65k or look for your points offer hopefully spend $60 get 20k. If you can find it buy the amazon fire stick lite $49.99 and some milk, eggs, bananas etc... to spend $60 and essentially you are getting $20 off the firestick =$29.99.

Shoppers has a terrible return policy when it comes to electronics so you have to be commited to your purchase.

We don't shop at Shoppers. They are totally over priced and they have those annoying flyers that fall apart. So being over priced...why is a return a hassle? Because of the new owner???

@LurganIeUk 

Otherwise the bf just talks to alexa thru the remote and she does everything.....well almost everything!😃 So in regards to your mil you would want to order the 4k $69.99 one with tv controls.

The whole idea being you order this from amazon.ca and they then offer you amazon prime for free for a month so you take them up on that so you can also see how all their music, books on tape, movies etc.....work but there is plenty there without needing amazon prime.

Here's their list of free apps....

https://www.amazon.ca/b?ie=UTF8&node=15696547011

@LurganIeUk 

You can only cast optik tv from your mobile device.....so weird you can get amazon prime on optik tv but you can't get optik tv on amazon tv. The best deal is shopper's drug mart either with their bonus redemption if you have 50k in points=65k or look for your points offer hopefully spend $60 get 20k. If you can find it buy the amazon fire stick lite $49.99 and some milk, eggs, bananas etc... to spend $60 and essentially you are getting $20 off the firestick =$29.99.

Shoppers has a terrible return policy when it comes to electronics so you have to be commited to your purchase.

@darlicious wrote:

@LurganIeUk 

Oh I get it now....you have alexa and you have optik tv. I don't know how well they play together as separate entities.

They don't I can reassure you! Telus does have it and doing the set up you go to channel 9098. And there are instructions for set up on the Telus website. You are supposed to be able to change channels, look for specific movies etc. I talking to Telus they say neither Google Assistant nor Alexa worked. See here for Telus Link.

I bet the part for checking your account and data usage works though!!

Where as we have the fire stik with alexa built in so you can just ask her to taie you to whatever channel (app) you want....which could include optik tv thru their app.

Have you tried that? My MIL as a newer Samsung TV and the newer new ones also have Alexa built in..but that would not control the TV box. 

You could order the regular firetv stick which also comes with tv control and test it out with the month of free amazon prime and if it doesn't suit your needs after a couple of weeks return it hassle free in 30 days.

We don't have prime but have access through grand daugther. But I would like to know what works..and works for sure. 

There was a deal for the premium firetv stik for around $50 on amazon.ca.

@LurganIeUk 

Oh I get it now....you have alexa and you have optik tv. I don't know how well they play together as separate entities. Where as we have the fire stik with alexa built in so you can just ask her to taie you to whatever channel (app) you want....which could include optik tv thru their app.

You could order the regular firetv stick which also comes with tv control and test it out with the month of free amazon prime and if it doesn't suit your needs after a couple of weeks return it hassle free in 30 days. There was a deal for the premium firetv stik for around $50 on amazon.ca.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LurganIeUk wrote:

You don't realize what seniors have to lose in day to day life until you actually see it. 

Aging is not for wusses. Hearing, smell, taste, sleep, joint pain, arthritis. You're not 23 anymore.

What about those external streaming boxes like Shield etc? Some of those have voice control. Optik also has Google.

I borrowed my daughters Alex and it does NOT work. The APP has a customer rating of .5 out of 5. And comments saying it does not work on optik TV. It is not that hard to set up. Once again I am trying to take care of my Mother In Law whose sight is getting poorer by the day. So we thought voice command would be good.  She is now using SIRI, hit and miss, to check weather and the time of day. Telus web site also lists all the issues with Alexa voice command. So that tells me they are not going to develop it to its' potential, as likely they are coming up there their own version to compete with Shaw BlueCurve.....voice remote. I had 2 chats with Telus and told them why I was looking for voice command and neither of them mentioned PIK Tv which apparently has voice command. That might be ok but she wants music too. So not sure if the TV subscription has Stingray and appears unlikely. But since Pik TV is on an android box we could download the Stingray App and pay $3.99/mo for no commercial music. But not sure if the voice command would work for an App. You don't realize what seniors have to lose in day to day life until you actually see it. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@LurganIeUk 

The bf set it up....I haven't gotten far enough to get it set up on my tv. It took a while for him to figure it out but he has most of the app versions of channels and subscription channels like hayu etc... for free. He has also set up the optik tv on it as well....I will glean some more info out of him. I have to learn how it works eventually.

I got a deal on the fire stik lite at xmas $29.95 no tax event.

Need Help? Let's chat.