cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TELUS introduces unlimited (512Kb) Data Plans

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

I see that TELUS has just added an unlimited/no overages data option where once your full speed allotment is exhausted for the month you will still have much slower data at 512Kb to keep you going. This one-ups Bell & Rogers version of this plan that drops data speed to 256Kb. As far as I know this is the first time TELUS has offered endless data so I can’t help wondering if down the road PM may offer some plans with similar arrangement.

Terry

12 REPLIES 12

Andrea-N
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

It’s possible but I don’t think so. I have 4.5 G and I never use the entire thing but the main thing that keeps people here and brings others here is the amazing amount of data u get for the price and no hidden fees. I’m not sure if any other company has this and as cheap too. Who knows but if they did it wouldn’t b smart business 

Tammy3
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

That is correct my problems were at Freedom.

@Tammy3 wrote:

I wish them the best then. I am moved over from Freedom and my calls were constantly getting dropped and service was sketchy in popular areas.

@Tammy3  I am not 100% certain whether you are saying you moved to PM because of those problems at Freedom OR you moved to PM and are having those problems here. I think you mean those problems were at Freedom. 

Terry

@will13am wrote:

I am going to guess Public Mobile will not follow the same course.  This is a sub brand of Telus, intended for a different segment of the market.  Overlap would make little sense as those Telus plans are expensive.  This brand is for those wanting to spend a lot less every month on their cell bill.

Yes quite possibly they will not go that route. I am a little surprised that PM resists offering a plan larger than 8.5 Gb but that may have been to avoid getting too close to TELUS big $ Plans. Now that TELUS is offering unlimited data, rather than an unlimited data offer from PM maybe they might offer a larger data plan for a little higher cost. While 512Kb would likely be somewhat painful, 10 Gb of LTE and then unlimited 512 Kb data speed for $75 is getting closer to PM’s 8.5 Gb of ~3Mb data speed. At the moment though, the unlimited data plans from TELUS are “limited time offers” but time will tell.

Terry

@bridonca wrote:

That is over 165 GB for the month if you are leeching flat out!

What is the lowest priced plan though?

@bridonca  $75 for 10 Gb of LTE then 512 KB speed until the end of the month.

@srlawren wrote:

@AE_Collector a small step in the right direction but still far too slow for anything but simple email and instant messaging, IMHO.  This is 1/6th the speed of PM's throttled "3G" speed plans offered today.  Yikes.

Oh for sure, it’s just “emergency only data”, significantly slower than PMs “3G like” data speeds. I think it is after using 10 Gb of LTE data at Telus so in my mind that is just a nice insurance policy where 10 Gb is usually more than enough so you don’t bother to pay close attention and suddenly get a big data overage bill. Or on plans like PM’s, suddenly your data quits working when you burn it all up a couple of days too soon. Suddenly 512 Kb speed would be a whole lot better than 0 Kb!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@AE_Collector wrote:

I see that TELUS has just added an unlimited/no overages data option where once your full speed allotment is exhausted for the month you will still have much slower data at 512Kb to keep you going. This one-ups Bell & Rogers version of this plan that drops data speed to 256Kb. 

@AE_Collector a small step in the right direction but still far too slow for anything but simple email and instant messaging, IMHO.  This is 1/6th the speed of PM's throttled "3G" speed plans offered today.  Yikes.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

In case those who are interested here is Telus' page about the plan.

This conicides of the CRTC annoucement.

Tammy3
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I wish them the best then. I am moved over from Freedom and my calls were constantly getting dropped and service was sketchy in popular areas.

mojorising
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@AE_Collector wrote:

I see that TELUS has just added an unlimited/no overages data option where once your full speed allotment is exhausted for the month you will still have much slower data at 512Kb to keep you going. This one-ups Bell & Rogers version of this plan that drops data speed to 256Kb. As far as I know this is the first time TELUS has offered endless data so I can’t help wondering if down the road PM may offer some plans with similar arrangement.

Terry

Looks like the Big 3 are all going after Freedom Mobile.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I am going to guess Public Mobile will not follow the same course.  This is a sub brand of Telus, intended for a different segment of the market.  Overlap would make little sense as those Telus plans are expensive.  This brand is for those wanting to spend a lot less every month on their cell bill.

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

That is over 165 GB for the month if you are leeching flat out!

What is the lowest priced plan though?

Need Help? Let's chat.