cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Streaming music

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

It is really convenient when you are working out in the the gym or running on the treadmill.  Only major downside with free version of Spotify are the ads.  Has anyone tried any of the other streaming services like Pandora, Apple music, or YouTube music ?

14 REPLIES 14

zork1984
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@srlawren wrote:

@zork1984 wrote:

For free music streaming, I use Google music (not youtube music),

@zork1984 unfortunately, not for long you don't; Play Music is being retiring in favour of YouTube Music.

I will use it for as long as it is available...  with their push for the smart speakers where people would just stream music for free now, their may be some push back.  They may even introduce a free tier from Youtube music, which in my option is not too far fetched, as you can actually get it for free on Lenovo's smart speaker (when I installed that for my in-laws, the google home assitant app indicated that youtube music is available for those google home assistant device with a display, so it is possible they may extend to all speakers, perhaps with some limitations.)

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Amazon rumored to be offering free music streaming on echo speakers.

https://m.gsmarena.com/amazon_to_introduce_free_music_service_-news-36561.php

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@zork1984 wrote:

For free music streaming, I use Google music (not youtube music),

@zork1984 unfortunately, not for long you don't; Play Music is being retiring in favour of YouTube Music.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Chanah
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hey, my Moto G5S also has that newfangled FM radio!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey I know. There's this really new tech where you don't pay for the content. Sure you gotta listen to some ads on occasion. You can even get scores and weather forecasts and current events.

It's so new, not all devices have the tech in them.

It's called FM radio. My BB Z30 OS10 has it built right in to the phone itself. All I need are headphones. I got those.

(tongue firmly in cheek 🙂 ...mostly...'cause it *does* work )

zork1984

For free music streaming, I use Google music (not youtube music), it works ok as it just randomly plays songs from my selected music station.  Asking for a specific artist will get you songs from that artist plus other similar artists.

If you library has it, you can "borrow" albums from Hoopla which you can either stream or download for offline playback.  I am with Ottawa Public Library and I can borrow up to 4 items per month.  (used to be 8 I think) so check your local library.

kelvarnsen

I mostly use Amazon music unlimited. It is pretty good plus we have a fire stick which has amazon music built in making it easy to use. The only negative is no explicit music filter so we have to be careful listening to music with the kids around.

I have also used the free version of Slacker Radio. It is pretty good as well. Has a nice variety of stations and specials. But the commercials are really annoying and repetive.

Jbanks1989

I have Tidal, really like it. There’s a lot available... but still some songs that you won’t find 

BITTERBATISTA
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have the Spotify family plan split between friends, it makes it very cheap. I did have Google Music and Tidal in the past, both can be limited with selection occasionally. I appreciate that they all have a 'download' function so you don't burn through data. 

@wickedgx wrote:

I would also like to stream music. Just not sure how much data i'll use up.

Most of the big players have the ability to download for offline use in the premium packages.  While streaming over data, us normal or low quality setting to keep the size down.  On WiFi, if you have unlimited, stream at the best quality.

I used Spotify Premium.  Loved it, and not much data was used on the lowest quality settings. I don’t know the total amounts, as I’ve never used all 12 G on my 90-day plan.

CellGirl

@wickedgx 

as long as you're on wifi, no worries 😉

wickedgx
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I would also like to stream music. Just not sure how much data i'll use up.

CellGirl

@Triguy 

I like TuneIn Radio Pro

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Triguy wrote:

It is really convenient when you are working out in the the gym or running on the treadmill.  Only major downside with free version of Spotify are the ads.  Has anyone tried any of the other streaming services like Pandora, Apple music, or YouTube music ?

Get a phone that has a microsd slot and play your music from there. No data, no wifi, no ads. 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.