cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed test results WIFI vs PM data

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Just performed a Speed test comparison My Bell 500 Mbps home WIFI compared to my PM Data add-0n.  Used the Speed Test app by Ookla with my iPhone 6s.

Results:

By WIFI 3 test results -

(1) Download 155 Mbps - Upload 365 Mbps. 

(2) Download 149 Mbps - Upload 297 Mbps.

(3) Download 164 Mbps - Upload 268 Mbps.

By PM Data 3 test results -

(1) Download 8.34 Mbps - Upload 1.82 Mbps.

(2) Download 3.91 Mbps - Upload 2.12 Mbps

(3) Download 10.7 Mbps - Upload 2.39 Mbps

8 REPLIES 8

@darlicious wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

Sadly I just preformed a speed test on my telus home internet (wifi) download 1.9mps upload 2.1mps. Supposed to be 50mps. How can the cheapest mobile tier of telus have faster data speed than my recently upgraded internet connection? Any suggestions?

Bad WiFi signal is often the culprit.  If you are getting your home internet via well aged copper line, that could be the problem.  Do a speed test with hard wired connection to your router and see what speeds are achievable.  If it falls short of the advertised 50 mbps, then it is a problem with the line into the house.  Any difference in result compared to WiFi is a problem with the WiFi network.  

@will13am  Thanks I will definetly do that but I have a feeling it's the WiFi as they upgraded us last year with fibre optic? Well whatever it was it bumped us up to the ability to have 1 standard tv and 5 hdtv boxes (not that we need that) and bump the price up. Everyone noticed a drop in internet speed after that....but the last few months it even buffers a YouTube video. I'll do the test and spend a couple of hours *sigh* on the phone with telus's tech department. Too bad they don't have a community to help me fix it.....but thanks I guess I kind of do!

Router hardware supplied by the ISP is also notorious for being poor quality.  I use my own router.  

@will13am wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

Sadly I just preformed a speed test on my telus home internet (wifi) download 1.9mps upload 2.1mps. Supposed to be 50mps. How can the cheapest mobile tier of telus have faster data speed than my recently upgraded internet connection? Any suggestions?

Bad WiFi signal is often the culprit.  If you are getting your home internet via well aged copper line, that could be the problem.  Do a speed test with hard wired connection to your router and see what speeds are achievable.  If it falls short of the advertised 50 mbps, then it is a problem with the line into the house.  Any difference in result compared to WiFi is a problem with the WiFi network.  

@will13am  Thanks I will definetly do that but I have a feeling it's the WiFi as they upgraded us last year with fibre optic? Well whatever it was it bumped us up to the ability to have 1 standard tv and 5 hdtv boxes (not that we need that) and bump the price up. Everyone noticed a drop in internet speed after that....but the last few months it even buffers a YouTube video. I'll do the test and spend a couple of hours *sigh* on the phone with telus's tech department. Too bad they don't have a community to help me fix it.....but thanks I guess I kind of do!

@darlicious wrote:

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

BEER

Yes of course over WIFI speeds are much faster but with the PM data download speed tests result of 10 Mbps or less is snail pace and explains why my iPad always cuts out after a few seconds. Are my results normal or is it because the  iphone 6s I used for the testing is too old.

With my personal iPhone 7 with Bell I get the same slow reading after my 6gb plan data runs out and I'm on the free as much as I need throttled down data. 

****And by the way when I install the Bell Sim in my iPad 2 the data connection works fine but not so with the PM Sim as mention in a few of my previous posts. I'n not sure but just perhaps my Bell prepaid plan's data may be at 4G speeds and my PM add-on only at 3G.

Duplicate posts merged into one thread

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@BEER  whats the point of this thread.  We all know wifi is faster than data especilly on the 3g network which i am assuming you are on.

moved post to lounge.

BEER

@SD08 wrote:

@BEER wrote:

Cut and pasting part of advise by another Oracle ---

"If you switch to the $10 plan, you'll be able to get the data add-on at 4G/Lte speed temporarily, but when you switch back, the data add-on will become throttled to 3G speed (after a delay of a couple of days)."

The above advise is reasonable and most likely accurate but since I'm a bit sceptical because I think an add-on is an add-on until it used up ----For example if one purchases a Canada/US long distance add on with one plan the switches to a plan that only includes Canada  long distance ----- the LD add-on doesn't revert to only Canada LD.- I will try the switcha roo thing considering the worst that can happen is that I will get 1GB of free data at 3G instead of 4G speeds.

@BEER 

Everything I've read about the 3G plans since they've been introduced leads me to believe the add-on would be throttled when you switch back to the $15 plan.  While the following scenario isn't proof of anything, it's worth considering: Since your $15 plan comes with 250MB of 3G speed data, any data usage would consume your plan data first before the add-on data.  You're in the middle of downloading a large file at 3G speed (3 Mbps) when your 250MB plan data runs out, then it starts using your 1GB add-on, so suddenly you're downloading the rest at full LTE speed.  That would be unusual, to go from a slower speed to a faster speed once you hit a consumption threshold, but I guess stranger things can happen.  Usually, transfer speed goes from unthrottled to throttled, not the other way around.

Having said that, it would be great if I were to be proven wrong on this, as it would be a way to get LTE speed add-ons for 3G plans.  The self-serve accounts indicate whether a subscriber's plan has 3G speed (labeled as 3G) or full LTE speed (no 3G label), but I don't believe there is any indicator for add-ons -- perhaps another clue that it would depend on the current plan.  Unfortunately, in order to know for sure, you may have to do a speedtest at the cost of a significant portion of your 1GB add-on (especially if it remains at full LTE speed) and that's after burning through your 250 MB plan data first.  Of course, I'm not advising to do a speedtest, but if you intend to anyway, be aware that when you make a plan change that results in a switch between LTE and 3G speeds, there is usually a delay of up to 48 hours before the new speed takes effect.  In order to be sure any speedtest is accurate, at least hold off on any testing until after that transition period.  Either way, doing a speedtest while your data is unthrottled would use up a large amount of data, if it turns out you're right.  You'll have to decide if it's worth testing just to find out if your experiment is successful, which is a bit of a conundrum.

Just started a new thread with the following Speed -Test results that I am cut and pasting for you --

Just performed a Speed test comparison My Bell 500 Mbps home WIFI compared to my PM Data add-0n.  Used the Speed Test app by Ookla with my iPhone 6s.

Results:

By WIFI 3 test results -

(1) Download 155 Mbps - Upload 365 Mbps. 

(2) Download 149 Mbps - Upload 297 Mbps.

(3) Download 164 Mbps - Upload 268 Mbps.

By PM Data 3 test results -

(1) Download 8.34 Mbps - Upload 1.82 Mbps.

(2) Download 3.91 Mbps - Upload 2.12 Mbps

(3) Download 10.7 Mbps - Upload 2.39 Mbps

Need Help? Let's chat.