cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I cut the cord...drawbacks?

Lar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I'm having a sheeet time with my Bell home phone. They are coming out for a third time tomorrow to try and fix things but I'm not holding out hope. Right now I have no dial tone for two days. They have suggested to let them come in and rewire the whole house for hundreds of $$ and buy all new phones. So I'm considering if they can't find the problem this time to just cut the cord and go straight mobile. That will mean no upstairs/downstairs phones so a little less convient if I forget the cell.   Are there any drawbacks to cutting the cord and just having PM mobile?   Thanks for your input in this decision.  Cheers

32 REPLIES 32

Lar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Thank you srlawren for the extensive reply.  I feel better hearing about your experience.  The "eggs in one backet" does spook me a bit but there is always wifi calls on an app if PM fails me for awhile. I did look at the $$$ advantage of dropping the landline and upping my PM plan, turns out to be enough to buy a new cell phone each year. Thanks again

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Lar this applies to calling only*:  I have been mobile-only for my own personal use since 2010, and since 2016 that phone is also my only work phone (changed employers, these guys are mobile-only).  

Drawbacks?  I guess:

- like you said, only one device and you have to cart it around with you throughout the home

- exposure to cellular transmissions while on the phone - can mitigate using speakerphone and holding the phone away from you or placing in a nearby table, or use a headset

- if your battery dies you can't make/receive calls

- if there's a service disruption all your eggs are now in one basket

- with PM, you're limited to the 18 countries available via the 400 min LD add-on, so if you need to call elsehwere you'll need calling cards or use a data-based service

- that's about all I can think of but there are probably more.

Pros?:

- one bill (even if you have to crank your plan up a little to compensate--may or may not apply)

- one number for people to reach you at instead of guessing or trying one after the other

- less clutter of phones/base stations around your home

- your phone number follows you wherever you go (this may be a con if you're not a fan of being available all the time)

- home phones are so 20th century!!

I don't think I would go back personally, but everyone's needs are different.

* I still use Shaw for my TV and home inernet, with no plans to cut that cord in the foreseable future but would love to drop the TV part eventually and do all streaming all the time.  😉

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Need Help? Let's chat.