cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shopping at costco without membership

mynewhome
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Contemplating cancelling my costco membership even though I love shopping at costco!

Since we are all thrifty and cost conscious here, did you know you can use costco cash cards to shop and also buy gas?

Also, you do not need to be member to eat a the foodcourt or use the pharmacy and they have the lowest dispensing fees.

Take that with your $1.50 hot dog and softdrink!

28 REPLIES 28

Kim1971kim

I thought you needed a card for everything. That is nice to know thanks 🙂

CJR
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I found that sharing a Costco card with friends is the best way to save.

mynewhome

or just go in the exit door!

Jenndew

You can definitely use the pharmacy for prescriptions without the Costco membership you have to tell them at the door you're dropping or picking up

lukevader
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@madhi19 wrote:

I never got the appeal of paying to do business with a store. If my money is not good enough for you the guy next door will gladly take it.

The guy next door sure will........... but, he will take more of it.

Ronny_Wong

I  think it depends on the location of costco you go to.. Theres one time a friend of mine went to a costco foodcourt to buy food. the cashier at that time asked if she had a costco card with her. She said no and she wasnt able to buy food. However, when she went with me to another costco location, she went to the foodcourt and she never had to show her costco membership.

The same with the pharmacy, I think its just good to have it on hand. 

GGPlayer
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I remember I read from somewhere that shopping at Costco is a symbol that you are a middle class family in North America.

daveopg

You don't need a membership to come into the store as they really dont enforce that part of it.   They only really check when you check out at the register so it is easy just to go in and look around but the issue is you cant buy anything. The food court is open to everyone it seems.

DL888

My sis and I share the membership (2 families) and the yearly fee is covered by the annual rebate we get back. Some stuffs are cheaper than your average grocery stores some are not. Some are cheaper because you buy in bulk but can be more expensive if you don't finish in time and they go bad...I guess it really depends wether Costco is a good deal or not differ base on circumstances.

@YVR wrote:

@kpantaleo wrote:

The Costco in Vancouver has the food court set up so that you don't have to enter to eat there! Everyone goes before hockey, soccer and football games as it's so much cheaper than stadium food! I think you probably need a card to use the pharmacy. 

My husband received a Costco giftcards before we were members and we were issued a day pass to use it. If you can get your hands on a few gift cards, you could just do that each time!

There are some limitations on the number of times that you can entering a guest using a gift card without a membership.  I did it for a friend and they were told they can only do it twice in a lifetime?  Can anyone confirm that?

Non-members may only be issued a one-day pass twice per calendar year and the one-day pass may not be used as a replacement for a Costco membership.

More details can be found here: https://www.costco.ca/Costco-Shop-Card.product.10284381.html

@mynewhome wrote:

why don't we organize a costco day where 1 member brings the entire public mobile community?

Why stop there?

Public Mobile could partner with Costco (and other businesses)... Let those Rewards be applied to or cashed into various kinds of discounts at each of them, let these partnered businesses all support (and Reward) customers buying into products/services from each other, even increase their brand visibility across each other's websites, etc.

I might be more inclined to buy a Costco membership if they give me a 10% discount on any PM vouchers/etc I buy in their store, or Reward Dollar Match, or whatever. 

I might be more inclined to join PM if I'm shopping at Costco and notice that they happen to be a PM retail vendor/partner/kiosk, especially if I see a Costco-exclusive PM promo in store.

I'd be cool with free pizza, discounted carwash, cheaper movie tickets, haircut coupons, whatever - things I would have to buy somewhere from someone anyways - if I could pool and synergize them all, be rewarded for loyalty in many small ways.

Yeah, of course freebies for customers cost businesses money. But some profit from cheapskate business is always better than no profit from no business, return business and customer loyalty (and word of mouth) pays for itself, "losses" like these are better categorized as "advertising expenses". 

YVR

@kpantaleo wrote:

The Costco in Vancouver has the food court set up so that you don't have to enter to eat there! Everyone goes before hockey, soccer and football games as it's so much cheaper than stadium food! I think you probably need a card to use the pharmacy. 

My husband received a Costco giftcards before we were members and we were issued a day pass to use it. If you can get your hands on a few gift cards, you could just do that each time!

There are some limitations on the number of times that you can entering a guest using a gift card without a membership.  I did it for a friend and they were told they can only do it twice in a lifetime?  Can anyone confirm that?

madhi19

I never got the appeal of paying to do business with a store. If my money is not good enough for you the guy next door will gladly take it.

mynewhome

yes, you also use the foodcourt and pharmacy without being a member as well as certain some items online!

the pharmacy has the lowest dispensing fees and waives them for seniors too

jrboodoosingh

We recently got a puppy and I was told Costco’s dog/puppy food is very good and cheap but we don’t have a membership. I was searching their site on my phone one evening and clicked “add to cart” and lo-and-behold I was able to get the dog food without a membership number and got free shipping!

Dogbert

@mynewhome wrote:

Contemplating cancelling my costco membership even though I love shopping at costco!

Since we are all thrifty and cost conscious here, did you know you can use costco cash cards to shop and also buy gas?

Also, you do not need to be member to eat a the foodcourt or use the pharmacy and they have the lowest dispensing fees.

If you shop there less than x2 annually, you could just do with the one day guest pass.

If you find yourself shopping there more often; you'll most likely make up the cost of their Executive Membership membership with the annual rebate cheque.  (Note: $120 @ 2% of $6,000 annual spend with Costco = Free Memembership.)

If you combine it with the CapitalOne Costco exclusive MasterCard, you could also take advantages of the cash back on purcheses too (cash back breakdown below).

• You earn 3% on restaurant purchases, 2% on gas purchases, 0.5% on the first $3,000 you spend annually on all other purchases, and 1% after that

Since they offer you 2 cards per membership; it's been "hinted" that one could split the membership with a friend.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kpantaleo wrote:

@kpantaleo this isn't limited to that Costco, most/all Costco locations have the food court area outside of the members only area. You access it by going in the exit door, which takes you over where customer service desk is and the prepared food.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

kpantaleo

Jdmom3

I was honestly contemplating quitting there too. Most of the time I find food cheaper at other grocery stores. So really I’m paying for a membership to pay more for food. Kind of irritating. And tell me who has fridges and freezers big enough for the quantity they give. Family of 5 here and my muffins still don’t last. 

CellGirl

I end up with a free membership anyway, once I get my yearly rebate cheque 😄

Colinh90

sometimes i can use the foodcourt without membership, other times they are picky. which sucks (i don't see why not) 

mynewhome

why don't we organize a costco day where 1 member brings the entire public mobile community?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Make friends with those who have a membership.  Go shopping together.  Problem solved.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@mynewhome wrote:

I shop there enough that my rebate pays for my membership so all good here

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@mynewhome wrote:

they dont even check to see your card at etobicoke store when you enter anymore... they should all do that anyway!

Have they ever? You show a membership card when entering and they don't even look.  Even so, all you'd have to say is that you're thinking about purchasing a membership but want to look around first.  I doubt they'd care.  The problems occur if you don't have a membership and try to make a purchase.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

Costco gift cards are good only for occasional use if you're not a member.

Such is written under Gift Card product details:

* Non-member use
"You do not have to be a Costco member to use a Costco Cash Card, but non-members must register for a one-day shopping pass at the Membership Counter to access the warehouse. Non-members may only be issued a one-day pass twice per calendar year and the one-day pass may not be used as a replacement for a Costco membership. Non-members may not carry a balance on the card. If they do not spend the full amount of the card, the balance will be refunded at the cash register. If the value of a non-member purchase exceeds the value of the cash card, the excess can only be paid by cash, debit or MasterCard."

Costco is catching on to non-members using gift cards instead of paying for a membership.

If you want buy warehouse items or gas at Costco on a regular basis, you need a membership or you will need to go with someone who has a membership card.

Of course family members can share a Costco membership at no additional cost.

mynewhome

they dont even check to see your card at etobicoke store when you enter anymore... they should all do that anyway!

Yes, I've went in before just for lunch. No one is going to ask to see your membership card if you go in through the exit.

Need Help? Let's chat.