Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shaw Mobile ?

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

What.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2020/07/27/shaw-mobile-wireless-brand-july-30th/

Soo.. R they just gonna forget about Freedom.

24 REPLIES 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Korth wrote:

@Anonymous 

I was just asking "what if" questions, as well. But the answers I found would make me exceedingly leery of ever logging into things like online banks through this (or any other) wifi network which doesn't run on hardware I control.

But once you're past your router, you're out into the wilds. How vulnerable is the ISP? How vulnerable are the routers after that? How vulnerable are the bank routers? How vulnerable are the bank servers? How well do they all keep your private data private?

My one credit card problem was a shifty retailer who apparently used or sold my card info from an in-person purchase.

@Anonymous 

I was just asking "what if" questions, as well. But the answers I found would make me exceedingly leery of ever logging into things like online banks through this (or any other) wifi network which doesn't run on hardware I control.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Korth 

I've never knowingly been a victim. I've only once had a call from the bank asking if some transactions were me. But nothing online...knowingly.

I was just goofin' around. Not accusing or anything.

Cheers

Evidently susceptible to man-in-the-middle attacks then. 😳

I doubt Shaw has any special CRTC licenses for this particular service, they are likely just a "consumer" using consumer-grade equipment ... so no special requirements, but also no special protections. Anyone could imitate a Shaw SSID, collect logins from Shaw customers, etc.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Korth wrote:

@ShawnC13 lol maybe I should try "Shaw Go WiFi" as the SSID on my public wifi "hotspot", just to see what happens.

Sure, and snoop the packets looking for open credentials and break into peoples accounts and jack their SIM's and extract their cash. Sounds like a good decent thing to do 🙂

Not.

Oh wait...am I counseling a crime? No, I said "not". Is that good enough? 🙂

@ShawnC13 lol maybe I should try "Shaw Go WiFi" as the SSID on my public wifi "hotspot", just to see what happens.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Shaw Mobile will stay in BC and AB until Shaw tower sharing with Rogers similar with Bell/Telus sharing.

@CFPartDeux Freedom Mobile has roaming agreements in place with Rogers, Bell, and Telus.  Originally, Wind's roaming in Canada was only Rogers, but the others were added later.

@Korth wrote:

"Access to 450,000+ Shaw Go WiFi Hotspots"

I'm sure we've all seen these pop up on our WiFi lists. But what are they for, exactly?

Do Shaw customers get to login to their local Shaw Go WiFi Hotspot to access internet and data beyond their plan/add-on mobile data provisions? This would be great.

Or do Shaw customers get to login to their local Shaw Go WiFi Hotspot to access internet and data which counts towards their plan/add-on mobile data provisions? This would basically just be extended coverage (which is not needed in the areas where Shaw operates, and is still inferior coverage vs Big Three networks anywhere else).

Shaw go wifi is for all shaw customers.  I can register up to 10 devices with my home internet plan and whenever they are in the range of a shaw go wifi spot they automatically connect.  So for the mobile service, you could be out downtown and your phone would automatically connect to the wifi and you wouldn't be using any data

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

"Access to 450,000+ Shaw Go WiFi Hotspots"

I'm sure we've all seen these pop up on our WiFi lists. But what are they for, exactly?

Do Shaw customers get to login to their local Shaw Go WiFi Hotspot to access internet and data beyond their plan/add-on mobile data provisions? This would be great.

Or do Shaw customers get to login to their local Shaw Go WiFi Hotspot to access internet and data which counts towards their plan/add-on mobile data provisions? This would basically just be extended coverage (which is not needed in the areas where Shaw operates, and is still inferior coverage vs Big Three networks anywhere else).

BearFBI

@Korth wrote:

I doubt any private company able to buy Freedom would be able to improve it. The obvious purchasers would be the Big Three, they might be keenly interested in some of Freedom's components but entirely disinterest in establishing yet another "competing" slave brand. They might be prohibited (by CRTC regulations) from owning it anyhow.

I can see Eastlink Wireless buying Freedom. Eastlink has its network in PEI and Nova Scotia. We happen to be the only city in Ontario with Eastlink coverage. I have no idea why a city in Northern Ontario has Eastlink Wireless. I know a friend who used to have it. He said the coverage was great in our city and when switching between Eastlink and Nationwide there was no disruption in service. Their network quality was the total opposite of Freedom's.

Eastlink could buy Freedom mobile and take advantage of their network and expand into other parts of Canada than just the East. 

Shaw/Freedom could also buy Eastlink. I hope this happens because i would be able to get Freedom coverage here. Shaw/Freedom can also aquire Videotron. Their coverage would increase dramatically. I dont think Freedom has the money for this but if they could do what Telus/Bell did Eastlink, Freedom and Videotron can all share towers.

I am going to get the talk and text for $0 tomorrow and test out the service!!

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Does anybody here KNOW who Shaw's/Freedom's "national partner" is..... you know the one you supposedly connect to when you wander out of their own coverage area? Got to thinkin' that since Bell and Telus have a sweetheart/sharing deal, just MAYBE Shaw is partnered with Rogers..... anybody? In the meantime, I guess I'll do a little poking around, and see what I can find.

@CFPartDeux wrote:

That article was kind of lacking details.....

Mobile Syrup is always lacking on details, lol, all about parroting sensationalism after things have already been announced online.

It's always better to follow or confirm at the actual source(s). In this instance here and here (and even here). But I guess mobilesyrup remains endlessly popular because it's Canada-centric content which always scores high on Canada-region search engines, even if it is one-click all-in-one casually summarized laziness.

Shaw seems to have some sort of complex thing going on with subsidiaries and subdivisions, they've been trying to package internet and mobile and apps and streaming media, broadcast and narrowcast content for years - which is why they purchased Wind Freedom, they wanted to get a tasty piece of the big (three-sliced) pie. But in recent months they've been trying to buy and sell and create and dismantle and re-license various combinations of all these assets. They've publically filed CRTC requests and applications galore (to split, merge, change, extend, reassign their license specifics in various ways).

I doubt any private company able to buy Freedom would be able to improve it. The obvious purchasers would be the Big Three, they might be keenly interested in some of Freedom's components but entirely disinterest in establishing yet another "competing" slave brand. They might be prohibited (by CRTC regulations) from owning it anyhow.

Apparently Shaw considers itself one of the big boys now - Shaw Mobile vs Telus Mobile, Bell Mobile, Rogers Mobile. But it doesn't mean Freedom Mobile is going to disappear, indeed it just suggests (to me) that Shaw feels ready to offer multi-tier branding like everyone else. There's not really much public info at this time, we can only speculate (or let mobilesyrup speculate for us).

CFPartDeux

Now that is VERY interesting!!! Seems to good to be true, though, and I'm betting there's SOMETHING that puts a sour taste on it. 🤔

Aaaaand, I believe I found that sour taste - when looking over the Shaw site, it seems you have to be subscribed to a certain level of their internet/TV plans, to get that $0 mobile offering(rather than simply being a Shaw internet subscriber), AND, although I didn't look REAL close, it APPEARS that the coverage map looks an awful lot like Freedom Mobile's coverage map(not a surprise there), so the reception will probably resemble the current reception on the Freedom network. 😞

public1125
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Shaw mobile will be in BC and Alberta.

The lower rates are introductory and will go up eventually.  Still a great deal if you are a Shaw internet customer to get unlimited talk and text for $0 and pay for data

BearFBI

@mimmo Insane ! Too bad I'm not a Shaw customer and in their Mobile service area. I dont get any bit of shaw where I am in Northern Ontario.

"customers can buy 1GB of data for $10 if they need it — that data rolls over for up to 90 days if they don’t use it all in one billing cycle."

It seems like the data addons last 90 days.

"One home account can add up to six $0 lines."

Seems too good to be true.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Interesting, only two plans unlimited $15 talk and text with data adddons by the gig $10/GB valid 30 days. Price reduced to $0 for for internet customers.  

$85 for 25gb shaw +2gb nationwide data. Reduced to 45$ for internet customers.

It's an interesting concept, might be in for one of the free talk plans.  Darn public's rewards, else might have moved over a couple other lines

BearFBI

@CFPartDeux This explains a bit more.

"Shaw Mobile is a new wireless provider for residents of British Columbia and Alberta. The new company is a division of Shaw Communications that also owns Freedom Mobile, another regional wireless carrier brand. Shaw Mobile is expected to provide premium cell phone service and enable existing Shaw customers to bundle services to save money.

Shaw Communications started as a cable TV company, but has since expanded consumer services to include satellite TV, home internet, landline telephone as well as broadcasting. Shaw is also closely associated with Corus Entertainment, owners of the Global television and radio network. Shaw and Corus together are a dominant influence in Canadian media. As such, Shaw Mobile is positioned to challenge industry leaders Telus, Rogers and Bell."

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

It's just a brand, aka fake competition.  

CFPartDeux

@BearFBI wrote:

@CFPartDeux There are other articles. Apparently Shaw has planned this for a while.

Will have to check around, and see what they have to say..... you'd think that they SURELY must be planning on something better than Freedom, since, from what a lot of people say about it, it seems to be lacking in a few areas. 🤔

BearFBI

@CFPartDeux There are other articles. Apparently Shaw has planned this for a while.

CFPartDeux

That article was kind of lacking details.....

I believe that they'll keep both running, with Freedom turning into more of a discount brand. I would imagine that bundle discount would be offered at Shaw.

Need Help? Let's chat.