cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: Shaw Mobile ?

@Korth wrote:

@ShawnC13 lol maybe I should try "Shaw Go WiFi" as the SSID on my public wifi "hotspot", just to see what happens.

Sure, and snoop the packets looking for open credentials and break into peoples accounts and jack their SIM's and extract their cash. Sounds like a good decent thing to do 🙂

Not.

Oh wait...am I counseling a crime? No, I said "not". Is that good enough? 🙂

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Evidently susceptible to man-in-the-middle attacks then. 😳

I doubt Shaw has any special CRTC licenses for this particular service, they are likely just a "consumer" using consumer-grade equipment ... so no special requirements, but also no special protections. Anyone could imitate a Shaw SSID, collect logins from Shaw customers, etc.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Korth 

I've never knowingly been a victim. I've only once had a call from the bank asking if some transactions were me. But nothing online...knowingly.

I was just goofin' around. Not accusing or anything.

Cheers

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@z10user4 

I was just asking "what if" questions, as well. But the answers I found would make me exceedingly leery of ever logging into things like online banks through this (or any other) wifi network which doesn't run on hardware I control.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Korth wrote:

@z10user4 

I was just asking "what if" questions, as well. But the answers I found would make me exceedingly leery of ever logging into things like online banks through this (or any other) wifi network which doesn't run on hardware I control.

But once you're past your router, you're out into the wilds. How vulnerable is the ISP? How vulnerable are the routers after that? How vulnerable are the bank routers? How vulnerable are the bank servers? How well do they all keep your private data private?

My one credit card problem was a shifty retailer who apparently used or sold my card info from an in-person purchase.