cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
barrascuk
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

September 17 2021 Voip.ms down for second day

Any one in same situation? Any thoughts for compensation for loss of phone and vulnerability of not having access to 911?

Re: September 17 2021 Voip.ms down for second day

@barrascuk wrote:

Any one in same situation? Any thoughts for compensation for loss of phone and vulnerability of not having access to 911?

Anyone with a cell phone that is compatible with any of the networks in your area can call 911 even if your service is down and even if you have no SIM card in the phone.  You could use also use your Pubiic Mobile service to call 911, or as I said, before, make 911 calls even if you're not a customer of any of the cell phone companies.  If one particular mobile network is down, the call gets routed through one of the other available networks.

z10user4
Mayor / Maire

@barrascuk : I came across a mention somewhere that it's a sustained DDoS attack.

It does give more weight to keeping an old copper landline around. Although now so rare to have a need for it but sometimes you just never know. It's a lot money to pay every month for that rare possibility. It takes a lot to bring down a cell system.

barrascuk

Thanks and down for day 3. 

Not sure of what DDOS is really but if they left the door open somewhere I have no pity for them. 

I pay $13 on average and if I went back to Telus I could pay $5 for a copper or optic line. 

Once I research the Panasonic Home Phone with link2cell I may just get a 3rd PM account and work it that way. 

I will have to wind done my balance at Voip.ms though and will look at my stats since day one for average outbound calls. 

While there are some advantages for having Voip.ms, I think we could get used to not having their service. 

z10user4
Mayor / Maire

barrascuk

And there is no preventive steps?

In computing, a denial-of-service attack (DoS attack) is a cyber-attack in which the perpetrator seeks to make a machine or network resource unavailable to its intended users by temporarily or indefinitely disrupting services of a host connected to the Internet. Denial of service is typically accomplished by flooding the targeted machine or resource with superfluous requests in an attempt to overload systems and prevent some or all legitimate requests from being fulfilled.[1]

z10user4
Mayor / Maire

@barrascuk wrote:

And there is no preventive steps?

@barrascuk : No. How can there be? The servers are open to the internet. A bunch of computers on the internet, whether by an army or bots, make their attempt to connect to that (those) server(s) hammering them with a constant stream of packets. The server can't reasonably serve all those connections and so the packets back up thereby denying service to legitimate connections. The servers have only so many virtual connections in too. So they all get jammed.

It's the same thing that happens when real people are really trying to legitimately connect to a server for something all at once ie. vaccine passport and you hear about how the servers get overloaded and people have to wait. Same thing.

barrascuk

@z10user4 I can’t believe that DDOS is not preventable. 

Never the less 3 days with no phone is not acceptable. 

Thanks for your input. 

And thanks to others for great ideas. 

I like the Koodo option. And $5 a month would give me a $6 savings that would offset half the cost of the box. 

When the Koodo goes up to $30 then use a PM Sim on a $25 or $15 plan and work the rewards to reduce cost. 

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

Their vancouver3 server is still down... finally got it going by manually reconfiguring devices to toronto1...

I setup my parents home phone on voip.ms. Family trying to reach them on Friday for potential emergency situation and couldn't get through. Now my parent want a real POTS line again at any price. Sucks to be the one the fingers are pointed at.

barrascuk

Me too, I am looking for an alternative. I believe they will have a slow but steady exodus over this one.  I pay $13 a month and can easily get a Telus land line for $5. But have some other ideas based on cellular. 

Need Help? Let's chat.