cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roam Mobility Says Goodbye

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

Got this in my email yesterday. Covid is taking it's toll on small travel related companies, and I guess the writing was on the table for Roam Mobility... I've been a happy client with the same SIM since 2013, and their data buckets were still way larger than most roaming options so it was nice for worry free data... Sad to see them go, but I guess there was a lot more competition nowadays anyway, so there are other options to look into - they do actually recommend Ting.  I also just saw a topic was started on RFD about it.

Lightly debating porting my Portland # with a 503 area code to voip.ms to keep it since they also say porting your number out is no problem... 503 area code numberss are hard to get nowadays, but it's still $12/year for something not really necessary... 😀

Dear Valued Customer,

To call COVID-19's impact on travel “severe” would be an understatement. As a business built on enabling communication for travellers, Roam Mobility has, unsurprisingly, been significantly affected.

As a result, we regret to inform you that Roam Mobility will cease operations on June 30, 2020.

We apologize to everyone who has relied on our service for US travel. Our mission has always been to help travellers stay connected and productive without the burden of expensive roaming fees or contracts.

We are incredibly proud of everything we’ve built and every customer we’ve helped. It has been an honour to be a part of your journeys.

The decision to discontinue our service was not one we came to lightly. Having made that difficult choice, our focus is now on supporting our customers and team members through the transition.

We would like to thank every customer and partner who worked with us or used our services over the years. We are truly grateful for all of your support.

We wish you all the best and happy travels in the future.

Sincerely,
The Roam Mobility Team

7 REPLIES 7

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Korth wrote:

Big corporations are known to amputate "unprofitable" assets, lol.

Public Is pretty profitable. These promos give them more money because in the increase of activations. Telus's whole network and towers are being mostly payed by the higher end Koodo and Telus customers. We are just extra income for Telus. Its highly unlikley Public Mobile will close. And if we do we will all be transferd to koodo with a promo plan and the same phone #.

Lets say there are 600,000 PM customers. The 25$ plan is a popular plan. 600,000 × 25 = 15 000 000. Thats a rough estimate. Minus the Moderator wages. Lets say thats 1M a month. 15 000 000 - 1 000 000 = 14 000 000. Then lets minus another million for extra costs. 14M - 1M = 13M. Plus there is the cost of the SIM card that they make income off of. Its a super rough estimate because i don't know how many people are on what plan. But its an idea. Why would they shutdown and move everyone to koodo just to make less money. Public is here to stay.

Big corporations are known to amputate "unprofitable" assets, lol.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Korth wrote:

Public Mobile is also a "niche company" compared against the Big Three.

Something to think about before continuing to clamour for more plans, more promos, lower prices, more data, unlimited data, etc.

But PM has a big corporation behind it.  At least our phone number will be safe and port it to another provider with similar plans. 

Public Mobile is also a "niche company" compared against the Big Three.

Something to think about before continuing to clamour for more plans, more promos, lower prices, more data, unlimited data, etc.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Sadly this is what can happen to niche companies when the niche is gone.  

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

too bad.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Nezgar wrote:

Got this in my email yesterday. Covid is taking it's toll on small travel related companies, and I guess the writing was on the table for Roam Mobility... I've been a happy client with the same SIM since 2013, and their data buckets were still way larger than most roaming options so it was nice for worry free data... Sad to see them go, but I guess there was a lot more competition nowadays anyway, so there are other options to look into - they do actually recommend Ting.  I also just saw a topic was started on RFD about it.

Lightly debating porting my Portland # with a 503 area code to voip.ms to keep it since they also say porting your number out is no problem... 503 area code numberss are hard to get nowadays, but it's still $12/year for something not really necessary... 😀

Dear Valued Customer,

To call COVID-19's impact on travel “severe” would be an understatement. As a business built on enabling communication for travellers, Roam Mobility has, unsurprisingly, been significantly affected.

As a result, we regret to inform you that Roam Mobility will cease operations on June 30, 2020.

We apologize to everyone who has relied on our service for US travel. Our mission has always been to help travellers stay connected and productive without the burden of expensive roaming fees or contracts.

We are incredibly proud of everything we’ve built and every customer we’ve helped. It has been an honour to be a part of your journeys.

The decision to discontinue our service was not one we came to lightly. Having made that difficult choice, our focus is now on supporting our customers and team members through the transition.

We would like to thank every customer and partner who worked with us or used our services over the years. We are truly grateful for all of your support.

We wish you all the best and happy travels in the future.

Sincerely,
The Roam Mobility Team

Probably gonna see many small/medium businesses close their doors...casualty of covid. Gonna take years to get back to those care free days of 2019.

Need Help? Let's chat.