Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Texting not working in USA but phone is

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:

@srlawren 

Sorry...it was Alan_K

@Anonymous thanks.  PS I still dislike that way of linking where you use the user's name as the link title.  Oh well!  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@srlawren 

This is all being way overblown. I sent you a pm.

@ShawnC13 

Sorry...just saw your post. To me the entire difference is that I did not use the @. Just the name. Making it a link underlines it. Using the @ and choosing the name that pops up makes it a link on its own indeed to the profile. And of course I could do the same using it all as link text.  I could of course make a very long completely clear underlined link that would end up looking just a.... Edit: and it truncates it. But notice the drooping letters. They get hard to read. So I just minimize my link text to a word or two.

Edit: and thank you whoever for hauling this threadjack down here.

On this site whenever I see a name underlined to me it is a link to their profile page @ShawnC13 and never considered it to be a link to an acutal post @ShawnC13 so I will have to look closer now I guess lol.  Both links above look the same but are totally different.  One is my profile page and one refers to a post in a thread.  Some may ask why I added the @ sign in one link?  Why not I am there typing a title for the link anyway.  I think that was what @srlawren was asking for just something a bit more clear.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

srlawren

@Anonymous Egad, man.... I'm not suggesting you change the Internet, just to use more descriptive text for the link if you're going to bother setting custom link text to begin with!  EDIT: my lack of planning?!  I have to plan for how to read your replies from now on?  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@srlawren wrote:

@Anonymous alright we've totally threadjacked now and are fully into Pedanticville, but....

My complaint is that it's easy to miss the missing @ sign but notice the underline and think this is a tag of Alan_K or a link to his profile.  This is the root of my complaint is that it's a misleading link text.  NOT a big deal, but one of those little things that drives me a bit batty LOL Robot LOL

What's that saying...your lack of planning should not be my emergency. Your misinterpreting an underlined piece of text on a web page that is a completely standardized way of indicating a link should not require me to change the internet. 🙂

And one should always practice safe interneting. Hover over a link to see where it goes. No that's the profile...I was looking for the permalink...no that's a naughty site...still looking for the permalink...oh there that's the one with the permalink...I'll click that.

srlawren

@Anonymous alright we've totally threadjacked now and are fully into Pedanticville, but....

Fake_AlanK_Link.png

My complaint is that it's easy to miss the missing @ sign but notice the underline and think this is a tag of Alan_K or a link to his profile.  This is the root of my complaint is that it's a misleading link text.  NOT a big deal, but one of those little things that drives me a bit batty LOL Robot LOL

Anonymous
Not applicable

@srlawren wrote:

@Anonymous odd, I see all tagged names as underlines (Chrome browser on multiple Windows 10 machines as well as my Android phone).  

Yellow highlighted are underlined links. Red circled is just the typed name. You're right..."tagged" names are underlined - thus links. I was distinguishing the non-tagged but otherwise linked name in my post. The one you dislike. 🙂

Of course one can underline text all one wants too...they just wouldn't be clickable links. I made the text of my link without the tag. Still a link.

links.JPG

srlawren

@Anonymous odd, I see all tagged names as underlines (Chrome browser on multiple Windows 10 machines as well as my Android phone).  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@srlawren wrote:

@Jb456 wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@Anonymous I've skimmed the four pages in the expiry bug announcement posting as well as another thread that @Jb456 linked from the top of page 3 of that thread, and all I see is anecdotal posts from yourself and other people stating that it works in 24 hour chunks without (as far as I can see) first-hand experience.  I've still yet to see the confirmation from Tiana_V you mentioned.  Can you please find it and link it for me?

@srlawren 

It's on this link.

Click here 

@Jb456 thanks, but actually @Anonymous already gave me the link.  The thing is, you may not have noticed that because he made it look like a link to @Alan_K's profile page rather than a link to a specific posting!  @Anonymous, this is why I don't like that style of link masking.  If you don't like the ugly page, then stick it behind some nicer text like @Jb456 did here, or like "here's alan's post", or "Alan_K mentioned it over on this thread", or something like that?  Anywho, I'm just picking nits, but my obsessive-compulstive pendanticism drives me to such quips.  Cheers to you both.

But as is standard with the dub dub dub and links...they're underlined. Notice your typing of his name...no underline. Notice the tagged name...underlined. It's a link.

Cheers 🙂

srlawren

@Jb456 wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@Anonymous I've skimmed the four pages in the expiry bug announcement posting as well as another thread that @Jb456 linked from the top of page 3 of that thread, and all I see is anecdotal posts from yourself and other people stating that it works in 24 hour chunks without (as far as I can see) first-hand experience.  I've still yet to see the confirmation from Tiana_V you mentioned.  Can you please find it and link it for me?

@srlawren 

It's on this link.

Click here 

@Jb456 thanks, but actually @Anonymous already gave me the link.  The thing is, you may not have noticed that because he made it look like a link to @Alan_K's profile page rather than a link to a specific posting!  @Anonymous, this is why I don't like that style of link masking.  If you don't like the ugly link, then stick it behind some nicer text like @Jb456 did here, or like "here's alan's post", or "Alan_K mentioned it over on this thread", or something like that?  Anywho, I'm just picking nits, but my obsessive-compulstive pendanticism drives me to such quips.  Cheers to you both.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@srlawren wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@srlawren 

Sorry...it was Alan_K

@Anonymous thanks.  PS I still dislike that way of linking where you use the user's name as the link title.  Oh well!  

And I still dislike the clutter of a great bl@@dy long url. 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.