cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile shutting down rumour

Patrick_R
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hello

I was in a Best Buy Mobile Store today the Best Buy employee advised that the Kudo Mgr Rep advised the Public Mobile will be getting shut down in the future and Kudo will send promo texts to Public Mobile Customers with offers to get them to port their numbers to Kudo.

I advised seems hard to believe if Public Mobile info still at retailers ans sim cards still being sold. He even advised Kudo offering free sim cards and most want the customer support.

As a brand new customer hard to believe that Public Mobile would be phased out by Kudo or Telus when Public Mobile still running promotions to get clients.

Thoughts?

18 REPLIES 18

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@DonaldB There were other reporting the same thing about the 1800 number. Something mustve happened there whether it was an issue with the number on their side or the lines were tied up from everyone calling, who knows. 

There is another thread talking about this situation in the forum. If you scroll down you will see a solution from Public that may clarify things. 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Text-From-PM-About-Changes-To-Mani...

DonaldB
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

That is good to know, but the ambiguity of the msg., and the lack of immediate response from the 1-800 number certainly could leave a customer skeptical. My daughter who I had referred for her fiancé check into this poorly written message. She tweeted Public. Here is their response - https://twitter.com/publicmobile/status/1357461680460947460?s=21

It is a tower upgrade being done in the areas indicated in the original message. If they had simply indicated this it would have avoided confusion for some of us. 

BearFBI

@DonaldB Public Mobile is not getting shut down. That rep was misinformed or said that to scare you so you can move to one of Telus's and Koodo's higher priced plans. 

As for the reduced voice coverage. A few of the 3G network bands are being decommissioned. Public Mobile uses 3G for voice. Data and texting will still work as it used to, just talk might be impacted quality wise. 

DonaldB
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So I get a message on Tuesday, Feb. 2nd. 2021, telling me that coverage for customers is changing for selected areas of Winnipeg and Brandon and they may experience reduced voice coverage - (whatever that means?). They also indicate that one must speak to  someone to have changes made to your account. I called that number and was put on hold soon after speaking to a Koodoo rep. . Left on hold with no reply for at least 15 minutes, I gave up as I had business elsewhere to attend to.   Since I was near a Telus service centre on my trip I decided to stop in to see if they could explain what was going with Public since it is a subsidiary of Telus. I was told that Public network is in indeed being discontinued . I asked if one could keep their service agreement . They said no and I would have to start a new account with Telus or Koodoo without grandfathered terms. Thanks a lot ! I referred four different people to the Public Mobile service and while I appreciate the loyalty credits I did get, I do not appreciate being dumped without proper notice in the form of a veiled and purposely ambiguous message.     

image.jpeg

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

When talking to sales reps, one must always process the information given for any ulterior motives.

Most likely, the person is trying to put you into a state of mind that will be more susceptible to being convinced into switching to another carrier. He will be the one that benefits from this.

wickedgx

Probably lying. Though time will tell. Let's check back 1 year later everyone!

ApatheticFloW

He was just trying to get you to switch to Koodoo ha. 

CellGirl
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Pizzaeh 

hahahahahaha

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Patrick_R 

TwainDeath.png

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Pizzaeh

@Patrick_R, it's a good thing that you're a savvy consumer who makes an attempt to verify what you hear.  Imagine if you took that story at face value and told your friends and family the same thing.  This is how misinformation continues.

sunflowershine

Rumor is rumor. Will see...

mh1983

@Alex888 wrote:
@Patrick_RProbably a miscommunication, there was a Public Mobile call center for legacy plan users that shut down a few days ago. And some retailers try to get people to sign up for plans with other companies because they get more money to.

I could definitely see that getting misconstrued and wouldn't give such claims of shutting down any credence. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Patrick_R wrote:

Thats just crappy, shame on any retailer who lie to get business not worth doing business with them.

He did say Kudo had the best deal for free phones.

And Public Mobile doesn't sell phones. Walmart is terrible for this.

I think Alex888 has a reasonable interpretation in this instance. But we have heard these rumours mentioned before. Lies.

Patrick_R

Thats just crappy, shame on any retailer who lie to get business not worth doing business with them.

He did say Kudo had the best deal for free phones.

Pizzaeh

@Patrick_R wrote:

Hello

I was in a Best Buy Mobile Store today the Best Buy employee advised that the Kudo Mgr Rep advised the Public Mobile will be getting shut down in the future and Kudo will send promo texts to Public Mobile Customers with offers to get them to port their numbers to Kudo.

I advised seems hard to believe if Public Mobile info still at retailers ans sim cards still being sold. He even advised Kudo offering free sim cards and most want the customer support.

As a brand new customer hard to believe that Public Mobile would be phased out by Kudo or Telus when Public Mobile still running promotions to get clients.

Thoughts?

@Patrick_R , Trump is the POTUS, so even the impossible is possible.   You should ask for that Best Buy Mobile reps name and contact information and tell them you're going to verify whether that's true.  If he hesitates, he's FOS.  

Curtis131
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

They are no shutting down they have moved to an automated pay system to try and simplify the system for the user 

These Public Mobile shutting down rumors have been going on for years, and there has been no truth to any of them. I am sure that Telus has discussed the possiblity, but anyone who has that type of information isn't going to be posting about it here, or telling a Best Buy employee.

In addition, Public Mobile just recently announced that they were going to be opening their own mall kiosks locations.

Alex888
Mayor / Maire
@Patrick_R Probably a miscommunication, there was a Public Mobile call center for legacy plan users that shut down a few days ago. And some retailers try to get people to sign up for plans with other companies because they get more money to.
Need Help? Let's chat.