cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pronunciation

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok. Is this regional? Is this country? Is this right? Is this wrong?

Assume standard (assume much? 🙂 ) English Canadian tv news presenter speech.

Is it mobile as like noble?

Or is it mobile as like profile?

Or who says it what way and what is your linguistic background. (if you're willing to share)

I say mobile like profile. English Canadian from the west.

19 REPLIES 19

mikeklemak
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Fermiliar (familiar)

"Could care less."

"For all intensive purposes."

Irregardless

The list goes on...

Anonymous
Not applicable

And fillum (film)

helmacken (helmcken)

New Westminister (New Westminster)

Korth
Mayor / Maire

Nucular bothers me, too.

It seems to be a sure indicator of dismissive ignorance. Or of trolling. Obnoxious either way.

hyT
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I say mobile, as in profile.

I also accept mo-bul. It's kind of oily and play-ful.

But in Mo-bill, Alabama, do they really like paying bill-s?

My ears can adapt. My brain will switch on a dime.

But time after time, it kills me to hear, weapons that are nucle-lar.

When the spelling dictates, clear as a bell, it is nu-clear.

Pardon my bad rhymes. 😉

mikeklemak

English Canadian from West:

Depends on what I'm referring to. I say mobile home (noble), but Public Mobile (profile).

Autocorrect keeps on "helpfully" inserting the word Mobike while I'm still typing the second or third letters. I don't even know what a Mobike is, let alone how to pronounce it. Mo-Bike? Mobick? Mawbuck?

All because of one typo I made far far away a long time ago. Stupid autocorrect.

Perhaps variant English works the same way - one person says it wrong then everybody always says it wrong and it becomes left.

Anonymous
Not applicable

So I was reading some text somewhere and read mobile phone. I realized after, that I read it as mobil. So it occurred to me that maybe in adjective form it did seem to flow to say mobil phone. Like mobil home. But to say that the home is mobile seems to work better. Or Public Mobile.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dabr wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@dabr 

I was joking about srlawren saying it's just easier to say mobil like the oil company suggesting he could lessen his quantity of keystrokes by dropping the U since he would tend towards the easier to say method.

It's why I suggested the standard tv news reader speech pronunciations as a starting point.

@Anonymous   Ahh yes, just reread your post and see you were just joking, but I was mostly wondering how mobile gets pronounced with "u" sound...not important though 😊

@dabr 

Sorry...just connecting a joke to another joke. If it's just so much effort to say mo-bile then also otherwise save some effort by dropping the U in many words. Just goofin' around that's all.

@Anonymous wrote:

@dabr 

I was joking about srlawren saying it's just easier to say mobil like the oil company suggesting he could lessen his quantity of keystrokes by dropping the U since he would tend towards the easier to say method.

It's why I suggested the standard tv news reader speech pronunciations as a starting point.

@Anonymous   Ahh yes, just reread your post and see you were just joking, but I was mostly wondering how mobile gets pronounced with "u" sound...not important though 😊

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dabr 

@srlawren wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

"Mo-bile" is just a bit more cumbersome to speak vs. "Mo-bull" so I tend to go with Mobul.  But yes it might well be an Americanized pronunciation.  One of my favourite YouTubers is Michael Fisher, aka. "Mr Mobile", (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSOpcUkE-is7u7c4AkLgqTw) and he tends to say it as bull.

I think the British tend to say "Mo-bile", at least based on a sample of a few I work with.  

@srlawren 

Oh but think of all the keystrokes you could save if you dropped the u in favourite (and all the others). Won't somebody please think of the letter u?!

🙂

Although I must admit that tyre looks odd.

@Anonymous Do me a favour and paint my home to match the colour of my neighbourhood?  I have catch some Zeds as I'm very sleepy.

Long live the U!  And the Zed.  And sure--why not, @Witcher --the Queen.

@srlawren& @Anonymous    The English language and it's pronunciation can be quite curious from region to region, let alone country to country.  But I'm not sure how you get to pronounce mobile with a "u" sound, I could understand just "mobil" (ill) perhaps?  But then I don't understand why many people (mostly Americans, I think) say "holloween" instead of halloween, or "ruf" instead of roof.  Probably not really important but can be quite irritating 😊

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

"Mo-bile" is just a bit more cumbersome to speak vs. "Mo-bull" so I tend to go with Mobul.  But yes it might well be an Americanized pronunciation.  One of my favourite YouTubers is Michael Fisher, aka. "Mr Mobile", (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSOpcUkE-is7u7c4AkLgqTw) and he tends to say it as bull.

I think the British tend to say "Mo-bile", at least based on a sample of a few I work with.  

@srlawren 

Oh but think of all the keystrokes you could save if you dropped the u in favourite (and all the others). Won't somebody please think of the letter u?!

🙂

@Anonymous Do me a favour and paint my home to match the colour of my neighbourhood?  I have catch some Zeds as I'm very sleepy.

Long live the U!  And the Zed.  And sure--why not, @Witcher --the Queen.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@srlawren wrote:

@srlawren 

🙂

Witcher

Being originally from the UK I speak the queens English 😂

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Mobul

"Resistance is FUT-ULL" or "Resistance is FU-TILE"?

Even Star Trek's Borg - a cybernetically-enslaved hive mind - can't agree on this basic pronunciation.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Mobile mostly rhymes with docile profile camomile to me.

Mobil noble Constantinople sounds too American to my ear and tastes bad in my sentences.

I speaking my Englishes very goodly in the lower mainland, BC.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok. Is this regional? Is this country? Is this right? Is this wrong?

Assume standard (assume much? 🙂 ) English Canadian tv news presenter speech.

Is it mobile as like noble?

Or is it mobile as like profile?

Or who says it what way and what is your linguistic background. (if you're willing to share)

I say mobile like profile. English Canadian from the west.

I say it like noble, English Canadian from the west. lol

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.