cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: Cable or IPTV?

@z10user4 wrote:

I might subscribe to try out some other services like CBS All Access or Amazon Prime Video.

I suggest you try Amazon's free 30 day trial. I did that, and was quite underwhelmed - the movies are generally crappy, i.e. there's a bunch of older stuff, a bunch of stuff that I'd never heard of, a bunch with actors I've never heard of, along with a smattering of semi-recent movies that I've already seen. During my 30 day trial, I'd guess I probably watched about 10 - 12 movies, and maybe 2 or 3 of 'em were actually entertaining. Some of 'em I actually watched 10 - 15 mins., and turned them off because they were so bad.

The Amazon original series, OTOH, may be worth watching, although I never did.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Netflix has the largest library of shows and movies.

But each provider has some exclusive things. Unfortunately these are all scattershot across the whole array of genres and interests, so if you like something particular (like sci-fi?) then each provider has something for you but none have a lot for you.

I just rent and rip DVDs/BRDs from the public library to watch later, lol. Streaming is vastly inferior to playback, especially with the obnoxious ad pollution (and the extortions to reduce exposure to obnoxious ad pollution) the providers all constantly spew into your face.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Well since everyone else is writing about "grey area/piracy" I guess I'll join in🤣

Get a good vpn and do some Google searches for stream sites where all tv shows uploaded a few hours after it airs with commercials cut, Netflix , prime, new movie releases, in theatres are free and don't pay a dime.

Legal one that is also free that you can add to smart tv, watch through computer/laptop/phone, on fire stick or add to Roku box and others is TUBITV

Tubitv is legal and free their library I believe is over 20,000 titles. It will play ads during the tv or movie you watch. Mostly older movies and shows but there are some newer movies and a few gems to be found.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@CFPartDeux wrote:

@Bullet77 wrote:

I switched over to Tek Savvy, I am still on Shaw's backbone at 35% of the price of Shaw for the same internet only. I went from $149.95 on Shaw  to $49.95 on Tek Savvy for the Same speed 75 mb down and 7.5 up. Shaw is now offering way faster speeds and I can go to 150mb with Tek Savvy for $10.00 a month more . I don't need it. IPTV works fine even on a 30mb account.

That's what I'd like to do, but with Lightspeed, instead of TekSavvy, since it's even cheaper(at least when I last looked).

There are so many places to see reviews on 3rd party providers it can still leave you in an inconclusive decision. At one  thought these guys would be ok. https://www.can-com.com/Bundles/Internet-TV-Phone-Bundles

But there is is no way I am going to sign up for a year or two, buy my own and equipment and have less than 24/7 support. Internet has become something we can’t do without. It replaced Canada Post, a trip to bank, access to utilities etc.  

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@CFPartDeux wrote:

@LurganIeUk wrote:

I have never bought 3 rd party internet.....as it appears none have good reviews except one out of Kamloops BC. Cheap resellers product is usually Shaw.

TekSavvy is pretty well regarded. Personally, I would go with Lightspeed, since they're a bit cheaper, and they're located in the Lower Mainland. TBH, I don't know how good their operation is now, but back in dialup days, they were excellent, but once Shaw FINALLY got broadband in this neighbourhood, I jumped on that. Both TekSavvy & Lightspeed offer various packages that use either Shaw's or Telus' infrastructure.

I did a stint with Shaw for TV, internet and phone......bad product and horrible customer service as is Bell ExpressVu. I have sold all but one android box and need to drop price to see the last one gone!

Yeah, we have an Android box, and at first it was ok, but once the main add-on we used was no longer supported, I had to update the thing(more than once), and unfortunately it was underpowered, and was SOOOO slow that I cobbled together a real computer instead...... much better, but still somewhat of a P.I.T.A.

Edit.  Was I fined...no. I had a friend that was fined $500 for watching a movie. I believe Warner Bros obtained his name and address from his internet provider. 

Unless something has changed in the last couple of years, which I'm unaware of, ISTR that the ISP were only obligated to pass along emails(in Canada) from companies like WB, rather than providing their customers' names & addresses. Was that friend in Canada, or the U.S.? 🤔

Chilliwack 

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@CFPartDeux wrote:

@LurganIeUk wrote:

Edit.  Was I fined...no. I had a friend that was fined $500 for watching a movie. I believe Warner Bros obtained his name and address from his internet provider. 

Unless something has changed in the last couple of years, which I'm unaware of, ISTR that the ISP were only obligated to pass along emails(in Canada) from companies like WB, rather than providing their customers' names & addresses. Was that friend in Canada, or the U.S.? 🤔

Chilliwack 

I guess it all must've gone down as @Korth  mentioned then, i.e. "Your friend evidently had his IP observed while streaming content from a pirated source - intentionally or not (because who knows how his client device was set up for him). Then got "notice with notice" from his ISP. Then unwisely acknowledged it. Then the gavel slammed down, guilty, pay the penalty."???

The prevailing wisdom, under those circumstances, is to simply ignore that email from the ISP(at least when I last read anything on this topic), because Canadian ISPs aren't legally obligated to provide names & addresses to companies from another country.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@CFPartDeux 

"Notice with notice" is basically just an accusation. The content owner hired someone to observe and log torrent and streaming activity. They find out which internet provider issued the IP at the time of the activity, they send legal notice to that internet provider, the internet provider then forwards that legal notice to the customer/account which was using it.

Responding to the notice is basically validating the accusation, admitting guilt to a crime which is otherwise hearsay. The internet provider is interested in legal compliance but is disinterested in prosecution or enforcement - they will submit information as required by court order but they will not accept the onus of proving a crime occurred or of assessing/claiming any damages caused by the alleged crime (the burden of proof and burden of production are nominally supposed to be the legal duty of the accuser, not the accused, not the non-complicit internet provider).

(And it turns out that the internet providers already know all about each of their customers. They make a whole lot of money collecting and tracking and predicting user data points. They don't want legal orders forcing them to submit information they'd prefer to sell. There's conflict of interest.)

Even if it does escalate into court any plausible claim to innocence is enough to dismiss this sort of circumstantial proof. You can claim somebody's been leeching off your unsecure wifi. You can claim a guest downloaded stuff on your network without your knowledge. You can claim you don't have access to whatever machine was used to download a copy of the pirated content. They can't carry the prosecution forward (and authorize a search through your computers, etc) unless it's part of a package of far more solid and serious charges being leveraged against you.

It's Canada's version of minimal compliance with international (American) DMCA law.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Link below to read about recent IPTV busts going on, people in/out of courts. Mostly USA though but Nagrastar is Bell encryption also.

https://www.satscams.com

If you do use IPTV less is more. VPN, fake email, one time use visa top-up cards and do checks where the providers servers are located.

Need Help? Let's chat.