Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Please Delete My Posting

Please Delete My Posting

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: Cable or IPTV?

Care to elaborate on which was your previous cable provider, and which IPTV service you're now subscribed to, which gives you access to, "so much more for a fraction of the price"? 🤔

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

The little Android boxes (or homebuilt HTPCs) running Kodi or Plex are the best way to go.

I'm a believer in buying and owning all the hardware up front. Doing whatever I want to make it better. Avoiding (even circumventing) lock-ins. Having the freedom to subscribe to (or unsubscribe from) content providers as I choose.

@krazykatlady 

What "IPTV" do you mean? There are so many IPTV providers, many of them are even the same networks which provide broadcast/cable TV. I'm guessing you just cut the cord with Shaw or Rogers (or maybe even Telus) - total ripoffs compared vs streaming content options. Especially when you consider options like Netflix - basically the biggest video rental store in the world, watch anything/everything they have as many times as you want for a flat ten bucks per month.

Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I cut my cable in 2006

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

People still pay for tv? Lol my bill has been 0 since the 90s

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Jb456 

People still pay for TV.

I think the Kodi/Plex devices have a bad rep because the cable providers (and the usual DMCA villains) used to campaign aggressively against them. They worked hard to perpetuate some dirty accusations and uncertainties in the minds of consumers.

"Too good to be true. Why would anyone pay $$/month for something they can get free?"

"Must be illegal. Or must be stealing. Somehow."

"Works for now. But they'll get shutdown within a year or two."

"These boxes steal your data and make their money by invading your privacy."

All these things are wrong. Have been wrong for over a decade. But you'll still hear them. And you'll still find people refusing to move away from paid TV subscriptions.

(That being said ... I'm assuming default/generic region-specific consumer setups. There are plenty of hacks and plug-ins which are indeed legal grey-areas or which are absolutely illegal content theft. There are also plenty of hacks and plug-ins which are fully legal and freely provided in public domain by the content producers/publishers.)

Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

IPTV all the way. Never going back to cable. Cable is a ripoff. 

Highlighted

@Jb456 wrote:

People still pay for tv?

We do. 😐

I don't mind the TV, but I've been tryin' to talk the wife into moving to a TPIA provider, so we could get more speed, for considerably less $$$, all while using the same cable, but she's all hung up on the annoyance of having to change her email address for all the sites/companies that she accesses using her current email. 🙄

Highlighted

@Korth wrote:

@Jb456 

People still pay for TV.

I think the Kodi/Plex devices have a bad rep because the cable providers (and the usual DMCA villains) used to campaign aggressively against them.

All of what you posted is true, but in our place, Kodi has a bad rep, mainly because it's a P.I.T.A. to try and watch something, and find no streams available. That, and having something set up and working just fine, and a couple months later, now it doesn't, so you have to find the new "latest & greatest" add-on that actually works(mostly), and/or have to uninstall, re-install, and/or constantly have to tweak something to get crap to work again.

OTOH, I suppose, based on other posts here, several of you folks are subscribed to one, or more, IPTV services, which is likely the difference? That, and maybe some of you should elaborate on what IPTV you're using, and why you like it.....

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Please Remove My Posting

Please Remove My Posting

Need Help? Let's chat.