cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone deal

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Anyone in need of a good value phone should give this deal a look.  The A models are the budget phones in the Umidigi lineup.  I bought the A5 pro model for about the same price.  Since then, they have released the A7 and now the A9.  These overseas purchases do not involve any sales tax.  There is no duty on electronics.  The price you see is the price you pay. 

https://www.banggood.com/UMIDIGI-A9-Global-Bands-6_53-inch-HD+-Infrared-Thermometer-Android-11-5150m...

22 REPLIES 22

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@will13am, did you order this phone?  Thinking about ordering it now still $128

No I did not get one.  I am swimming in phones at the moment.  

@will13am what kind of towel does one use after doing that? #askingforafriend

Wet-nap towelette?  If I get more phones, I would have to change swimming in phones to drowning in phones.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@srlawren 

Why wireless contactless of course 🙂

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@will13am wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@ShawnC13 wrote:

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@dabr 

FYI....when it comes to points offers generally you will generate new offers in the following week(s) based on what you purchased the week before and where. I used to get only SDM offers but once I used the card at No Frills I started to get ones geared towards groceries. Once I discovered that tidbit I shopped at RCSS and tada I started to get offers for items offered at RCSS. Thus once I bought the firesticks it generated the electronics offer. SDM is generally not somewhere I would buy electronics as they have a terrible return policy (You basically have to deal with the manufacturer) and you have to hunt down the item you are looking for.....but their recent launch of online electronics sales has made this a much more viable possibility. So the original purchase from RCSS enabled me to use the offer generated at SDM rather than RCSS since they do offer a very small selection of  cellphones, tablets and laptops whereas RCSS has tvs, sound systems and gaming consoles....but no phones because TMS handles those....but they dont seem to sell "unlocked" non contractual phones.

If I do decide to purchase the A11 I will be using my avion card rather than my pcmc to take advantage of the device insurance  that for me as I stated before is more important than the warranty. The purchase of a lemon from an established mobile phone manufacturer ( with the exception of LG) is a low probability vs the probability of a lost/stolen/damaged phone and of course in the case of the bf its a matter of when not if......

Edit: @CFPartDeux  It is points days right now so yes I have been calculating the free cereal ( $5 kelloggs visa gift cards start Feb 18th) along with free johnsonville sausages, hellmans dressing, nature valley granola bars, dove soap and cheez itz crackers to name a few.....

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@dabr wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@dabr 

Are you a pc optimum member? I'm not 100% sure how I generated this offer but I think it was from buying amazon firesticks at RCSS on black friday but it gave me a 1k/$5 spend on electronics the following week which I combined with a spend $200 get 60k when you shop online at SDM. Points-wise it reduced the price of my samsung tablet from $200+tax$=$224-$100(100k points)=$124

They have the new samsung A11 for the $210 but i got that 1K/$5 offer again and a spend $150 get 50K so I'm tempted .....$210+tax=$235.20-$91(91k)=$144.20 

@darlicious   Sounds like you lucked out on some great bonus points offer. [snip]

OMG, NOW YOU'VE DONE IT - she's gonna try & educate you on how to get a ROOMFUL of cereal for FREE!!! 😬 🤣

Unfortunately, while I've received some offers for bonus points for shopping at SDM, it's not where I regularly shop.  I can see that's a very tempting price for a new Samsung A11.   Maybe I should have paid more attention to SDM points offers...hmm.

We're in the same boat - points from groceries, but don't shop at SDM very often, and also don't pay attention to those offers.

As for getting a budget phone, with a Canadian warranty, after I posted here yesterday, I did a little looking, and you can get the same phone( except with 3GB RAM, instead of 2 ) as I have for about the same price, from Amazon, and the model #( XT1952-4 ) is listed as the same, BUT the blurb says, "International Model, May not have Canadian Warranty." Whether or not it's covered by Motorola, well, who knows....... 🤔

@darlicious wrote:

@dabr 

Are you a pc optimum member? I'm not 100% sure how I generated this offer but I think it was from buying amazon firesticks at RCSS on black friday but it gave me a 1k/$5 spend on electronics the following week which I combined with a spend $200 get 60k when you shop online at SDM. Points-wise it reduced the price of my samsung tablet from $200+tax$=$224-$100(100k points)=$124

They have the new samsung A11 for the $210 but i got that 1K/$5 offer again and a spend $150 get 50K so I'm tempted .....$210+tax=$235.20-$91(91k)=$144.20 

@darlicious   Sounds like you lucked out on some great bonus points offer.  I am an Optimum member, but so far my points accumulation have only been when buying groceries, although I did get a really good offer (a few months back) of $100 worth of points for signing up with the PC MC (no fees), which I, obviously, saw no reason to decline and after my first purchase (groceries) on the card, the points reduced that bill down by $100.

Unfortunately, while I've received some offers for bonus points for shopping at SDM, it's not where I regularly shop.  I can see that's a very tempting price for a new Samsung A11.   Maybe I should have paid more attention to SDM points offers...hmm.

@dabr 

@will13am wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@CFPartDeux wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@CFPartDeux wrote:

@dabr wrote:

That's a really good price...almost tempted to purchase it as I need a replacement for my kinda old S5, but not really comfortable with the fact that the warranty only covers for purchases in the US.

Well, if 3GB RAM, and 32GB of storage would still suffice for your usage, you could always get this, which is only a few bucks more, and would have a Canadian warranty: Costco Moto G Fast 

@CFPartDeux   Well that definitely looks very interesting and price is pretty much the same after taking into account the exchange rates and yes will have valid warranty!   Too bad it looks like the sale will be over in couple of days though.    I know I could always order it online to lock in the price since I'm not planning on going to Costco in the next little while. 

I've kind of been looking for several months now knowing I need to eventually replace mine as it's having a few issues for quite a while but still does the job.  The biggest sticking point for me right now is that I much prefer my current screen size (approx. 5") and these newer phones just seem so big, although I do like the extra storage. 

Will mull it over and thanks for the link... 😊

Oh, one other thing, about the "approx. 5" screen size" issue - if your thinking on the topic is similar to mine, about the size of the screen equating to a significant increase in the overall size of the phone, when you're shopping, you should probably pay attention to the listed device dimensions, because my G7 Play is listed as having a 5.7" screen, and the phone is barely larger than my wife's Samsung S5 Neo(5.1" screen). Some of those phones with >6" screens MIGHT not be THAT much larger than your S5...... 🤔

@CFPartDeux   Actually that's really useful info about screen size comparisens.  While I'm unlikely to get this phone during this sale, I will take another look at it next time I go to Costco.  The last time it was on sale (that I'm aware of) was around black Friday promos and I have wondered over to take a look at it a couple of times before and it did look noticeably physically larger than my current phone, but I'll keep your suggestions in mind the next time.

BTW  I take your point about the SD card, I actually have a spare one and I might just need to use that if I want to buy a smaller phone, which, from my casual observation, all seem to have less storage capacity.  So definitely that maybe what I might end up doing eventually...

@darlicious   Thanks for your feedback on your experience with the G7 Plus.  It's always useful to get first hand user knowledge on things before purchasing and it certainly sounds like a very good phone, especially a much improved camera vs my old phone and I'm really interested for my next phone to have a better camera, especially when taking photos in low light.

However, as I mentioned earlier, the lack of warranty for Canadian purchasers is bit of a deal breaker for me.   I'm sure most new phones will most likely have few issues during the first year, but there are always exceptions to the rule so it's quite unlikely I'll be purchasing this one from a retailer outside of Canada.  But I'll keep my options open if I see similar pricing domestically for it.   Also while I'd still prefer the screen size to be a little smaller maybe, after hearing from you and @CFPartDeux, that might be something else I should keep an open mind about.

Motorola would be the one covering the warranty.  Within the return period it would be B&H that is on the hook.  It would be best to check with the oem on what kind of international warranty is available.  I checked with OnePlus and they were okay with covering a phone purchased in the US.  Honestly, I don't recall the last time I purchased a phone for personal use that was directly sourced through a Canadian supplier.  So far, no issues.   

@will13am   On your link to the G7 Plus, I could only find references to the warranty being applicable for purchasers in the US only.   Perhaps I'll try do a bit more research on how the warranty is treated outside of US from Motorola instead.   Also good to know you've had no problems with your phone purchases, guess I'm being a tad paranoid about ending up the the rare lemon purchase...

@dabr wrote:

@CFPartDeux wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@CFPartDeux wrote:

@dabr wrote:

That's a really good price...almost tempted to purchase it as I need a replacement for my kinda old S5, but not really comfortable with the fact that the warranty only covers for purchases in the US.

Well, if 3GB RAM, and 32GB of storage would still suffice for your usage, you could always get this, which is only a few bucks more, and would have a Canadian warranty: Costco Moto G Fast 

@CFPartDeux   Well that definitely looks very interesting and price is pretty much the same after taking into account the exchange rates and yes will have valid warranty!   Too bad it looks like the sale will be over in couple of days though.    I know I could always order it online to lock in the price since I'm not planning on going to Costco in the next little while. 

I've kind of been looking for several months now knowing I need to eventually replace mine as it's having a few issues for quite a while but still does the job.  The biggest sticking point for me right now is that I much prefer my current screen size (approx. 5") and these newer phones just seem so big, although I do like the extra storage. 

Oh, one other thing, about the "approx. 5" screen size" issue - if your thinking on the topic is similar to mine, about the size of the screen equating to a significant increase in the overall size of the phone, when you're shopping, you should probably pay attention to the listed device dimensions, because my G7 Play is listed as having a 5.7" screen, and the phone is barely larger than my wife's Samsung S5 Neo(5.1" screen). Some of those phones with >6" screens MIGHT not be THAT much larger than your S5...... 🤔

@CFPartDeux   Actually that's really useful info about screen size comparisens.  While I'm unlikely to get this phone during this sale, I will take another look at it next time I go to Costco.  The last time it was on sale (that I'm aware of) was around black Friday promos and I have wondered over to take a look at it a couple of times before and it did look noticeably physically larger than my current phone, but I'll keep your suggestions in mind the next time.

BTW  I take your point about the SD card, I actually have a spare one and I might just need to use that if I want to buy a smaller phone, which, from my casual observation, all seem to have less storage capacity.  So definitely that maybe what I might end up doing eventually...

@darlicious   Thanks for your feedback on your experience with the G7 Plus.  It's always useful to get first hand user knowledge on things before purchasing and it certainly sounds like a very good phone, especially a much improved camera vs my old phone and I'm really interested for my next phone to have a better camera, especially when taking photos in low light.

However, as I mentioned earlier, the lack of warranty for Canadian purchasers is bit of a deal breaker for me.   I'm sure most new phones will most likely have few issues during the first year, but there are always exceptions to the rule so it's quite unlikely I'll be purchasing this one from a retailer outside of Canada.  But I'll keep my options open if I see similar pricing domestically for it.   Also while I'd still prefer the screen size to be a little smaller maybe, after hearing from you and @CFPartDeux, that might be something else I should keep an open mind about.

Motorola would be the one covering the warranty.  Within the return period it would be B&H that is on the hook.  It would be best to check with the oem on what kind of international warranty is available.  I checked with OnePlus and they were okay with covering a phone purchased in the US.  Honestly, I don't recall the last time I purchased a phone for personal use that was directly sourced through a Canadian supplier.  So far, no issues.   

@CFPartDeux wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@CFPartDeux wrote:

@dabr wrote:

CFPartDeux

@dabr wrote:

@CFPartDeux wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@dabr 

On a bit of a whim I bought the moto g7+ from BH in December. I didn't really take into consideration the lack of valid warranty but hopefully there wont be an issue....I haven't ever had one with a cell phone. I covered the bigger worry by purchasing it with my avion card that has device insurance in case its ever lost, stolen or damaged.

All in it was $180 cdn and I am exceptionally pleased with it and especially so with the camera.  Granted the g8 has a triple lens so that may be a consideration for you since you're still shopping around. Unlike @will13am  description of it being aged....its North American version release date was mid-November 2020 and came with an updated Android 10 OS. It seemed awfully big at first but now my galaxy A3 just looks tiny in comparison and I have quickly been taken with the larger screen. My only complaint is its single sim but I suspect that the dual sim hardware still exists and the more adventuresome tinkerer could revert it back to its original design.

CFPartDeux

@dabr wrote:

@CFPartDeux wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@CFPartDeux   Well that definitely looks very interesting and price is pretty much the same after taking into account the exchange rates and yes will have valid warranty!

Exactly! 👍

Too bad it looks like the sale will be over in couple of days though.    I know I could always order it online to lock in the price since I'm not planning on going to Costco in the next little while. 

Yeah, back when I got my G7 Play, its' regular price was $205, but on sale for $155, and at that point in time, the lineups at Costco were NUTS, so I ordered it online, and IIRC, it took about a week to show up.

I've kind of been looking for several months now knowing I need to eventually replace mine as it's having a few issues for quite a while but still does the job.  The biggest sticking point for me right now is that I much prefer my current screen size (approx. 5") and these newer phones just seem so big,

THAT was one of the reasons I went for this G7 Play - I too like a phone that's <6" of screen size, so it fits a pocket better than the current trend with most phone makers going for the "bigger is better" way of thinking. Bigger is better for desktop computer screens, laptops, or even tablets, but so long as my phone's screen is big enough to "get the job done", and still fits in my pocket, that's all I need.

although I do like the extra storage. 

Well, MicroSD cards are cheap......

No problemo! 😁If you're looking for a smaller screen, at a "budget" price, you might want to look around a wee bit before pulling the trigger on either of the phones mentioned in this thread..... some places may still have some stock of smaller phones.

@CFPartDeux wrote:

@dabr wrote:

CFPartDeux

@dabr wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@Hoserdave wrote:

Costco has a few of the Motorola phones for under $300 as well.  Not flagships, but can still do the job. 

For Motorola option, I think this is a good budget buy.  This phone is aged, but for about $150, it still a pretty good buy.  The camera specs are good.  

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1595563-REG/moto_pafv0001us_moto_g7_plus_64gb.html/specs

@Hoserdave wrote:

Costco has a few of the Motorola phones for under $300 as well.  Not flagships, but can still do the job. 

For Motorola option, I think this is a good budget buy.  This phone is aged, but for about $150, it still a pretty good buy.  The camera specs are good.  

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1595563-REG/moto_pafv0001us_moto_g7_plus_64gb.html/specs

Hoserdave
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

The UMIDIGI A9 has only 3GB RAM.  A9 Pro have 4GB RAM.

I am using my UMIDIGI A5 Pro with 4GB RAM. 

From the Android settings  --> System  --> Developer Options, I am using 2.6GB RAM out of 4GB RAM.  3GB RAM is getting to my usage limit.  I will buy the UMIDIGI A9 Pro for better user experience with 4GB RAM if I need a new phone.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@will13am thanks for the tip, this looks like a great phone for the price.  Might pick one up for my kids or just even a spare phone at that price

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.