cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One Plus 7T pro GSMA smartphone of the year

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

It seems that @ShawnC13 's model phone has won the 2019 smartphone of the year . Beating out Huawei, Apple and Samsung phones for the honour.

10 REPLIES 10

The only downside with flash storage is longevity.

Sooner or later an nvram write/rewrite cycle fails on a file system block and all data is lost. Data recovery/repair software might work, but usually doesn't. Data recovery experts/hardwares/services are often successful, but also costly.

Phone electronics cut corners and it seems like every major phone ODM can't resist implementing some sort of nonstandard enhancements to their SD slot controllers. While mobile flash media itself is a cut-throat corner-cutting industry, longevity is always prioritized last (after capacity/density, price, performance, and reliability) - and it's not binned - and tiny controller chips in tiny cards run only the most rudimentary wear-levelling. End result is lots of dead SD cards full of dead data.

Karnbot13
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I ripped all my cd's to FLAC and only got it down to 150 GB. I'm too cheap to pay the premium on built in storage for all that. Haha

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Karnbot13 wrote:

SD card is a must for me. I don't stream my music, it goes with me regardless of the device I'm using. I consider it a waste to use data for the quality you get from streaming and I'm not paying for a Tidal subscription

@Karnbot13 I hear you!  I have my entire 85GB music library loaded on my 256GB phone with plenty of space to spare.  No music streaming for me either, other than to audition potential new music to buy. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Karnbot13
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

SD card is a must for me. I don't stream my music, it goes with me regardless of the device I'm using. I consider it a waste to use data for the quality you get from streaming and I'm not paying for a Tidal subscription

srlawren

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm thinking I'm still old school and would like the sd card slot and a 3.5mm jack.

Anybody care to comment on the LG dual screen?

Or the Samsung Note?

Honestly both are great devices, and it really depends on your needs.  If you could benefit from the stylus and integrated S-pen integration, then the Note is probably your better bet.  Myself, I would gravitate to the LG V60 among those two options.  The optonal (removable) second display would give a ton of versatility.  Also, since you specifically wanted a headphone jack, the LG are known for awesome wired sound quality due to their high-quality Quad-DAC setup.  I don't care for either company's take on Android, but both have gotten much better in recent history mind you.  Either is worth exploring for sure.

As for SD card slots, I can see the appeal for some.  Personally, I'd rather just buy a 256 GB (or higher, in the future maybe) device that has all the room I need.  Being able to move files on and off the device on a card is nice, but I do most of that through cloud services now which is less hassle IMHO.  But if an SD card is integral to your usual workflow then that's totally cool too.  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm thinking I'm still old school and would like the sd card slot and a 3.5mm jack.

Anybody care to comment on the LG dual screen?

Or the Samsung Note?

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I will buy a one plus next time need a new phone. 

I just got an Umidigi F1.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@gblackma wrote:

It seems that @ShawnC13 's model phone has won the 2019 smartphone of the year . Beating out Huawei, Apple and Samsung phones for the honour.

I also have the OnePlus 7 not the T Pro on the recommendation from @srlawren .  It is an amazing phone and so happy with my choice.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

srlawren

@gblackma wrote:

@gblackma it's a great phone, and an awesome bang-for-the-buck.  I have the 6-month-older OnePlus 7, and absolutely love it!  It's my 3rd and definitely not my last OnePlus device.  

Need Help? Let's chat.