cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On the lookout for a tablet

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Never owned an iPad and I don't know where to start looking. New devices seem pretty expensive. Are refurbished iPads any good? Can someone recommend some pages where I can start and go from there?

I thought about the Tablet Flex Data Plan from Bell as my usage is different every month. This way I would only pay for what I pay on data.

12 REPLIES 12

Effort
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Repairing a device doesn't equal replacing a weak battery. The weak battery is still working. Maybe it only lasts 2 hours on full charge but it still works 100%. A refurbisher is not going to replace that battery unless it's dead and your warranty is not going to cover "battery is not lasting long enough to my liking".

There is a huge difference between second hand, and refurbished.  Refurbished replaces parts that need to be replaced or repaired.  The device is essentially, like new.

If you’re looking at iPads, look at the Apple Store online.  Refurbished units for many different devices are available.  AppleCare available also.

ute1978

@Effort wrote:

Also you don't know how shot the battery is because it could have been lightly used or heavily used.

That's what I am afraid of.

Effort
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Well, you never know what the condition of the device looks like unless you see it in person. Also you don't know how shot the battery is because it could have been lightly used or heavily used.

I personally have a previously owned iPad 2 Air. It was lightly used because when I got it, it was still on IOS 9. The screen has scratches on the bezel so I made sure to buy a tempered glass screen protector ASAP. Overall it just comes down to luck.

I would.  Refurbished means cleaned up, parts replaced, and usually a short warranty period.

Should also come with replacement accessories originally included in the original packaging.

ute1978

So, would any of you recommend buying a refurbished tablet? What are the disadvantages?

@ute1978 I agree with @Anonymous & @stonechucker, hotspotting of you phone works great. I watch hockey games this way with no lag and I use a Gen 3 ipad. Also as mentioned the cellular models are more expensive.

@ute1978 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

Try the dog brand.  Great price for data and hardware.  Puts to shame any other carrier brand. 

https://www.fido.ca/consumer/tablets

"You must be an existing, postpaid, mobile customer."

I am a PM customer 😉

I am a PM customer also.  Go to a retail partner, find a commission hungry rep.  They will assist with bypassing these kinds of hoops.  If you are lucky, they will give you a gift card to go with the purchase. 

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@ute1978, you can find refurbished iPads all over the place.  As mentioned, tethering your iPad via wifi with your cellular phone (make it a metered connection) or WiFi hotspots, is very simple.  The WiFi-only models are significantly cheaper than cellular enabled.

I started with a 2nd hand Motorola tablet, before purchasing a brand new iPadAir (1st Gen) in 2013.  Huge difference in quality (at the time) with iPadAir being for me, a better device than any of the then-current Android tablets.

For as much as I dislike the iOS ecosystem, the displays are fantastic.  I'm an Android lover, and where I can, I use Android/Google-based applications on my tablet.   I generally use cross-platform apps also (Google plays with most platforms better than the others).

ute1978

@will13am wrote:

Try the dog brand.  Great price for data and hardware.  Puts to shame any other carrier brand. 

"You must be an existing, postpaid, mobile customer."

I am a PM customer 😉

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ute1978 wrote:

Never owned an iPad and I don't know where to start looking. New devices seem pretty expensive. Are refurbished iPads any good? Can someone recommend some pages where I can start and go from there?

I thought about the Tablet Flex Data Plan from Bell as my usage is different every month. This way I would only pay for what I pay on data.

Just do wifi to any wifi or hotspot off your phone. Cell connectivity is optional on tablets. But they'll have wifi.

Need Help? Let's chat.