cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off Topic Portion- Top Contributors – October 2018

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@mpcdesign wrote:

Congratulations to all rewarded, and thanks for your contributions. Keep up the great work! What a great community we have here! Happy to be part of the helping team. Thanks also to the moderators for their efforts especially lately as they deal with the higher than usual volume of support requests from system glitches.

@mpcdesignI see you have mastered the art of copy + paste lol

@RobertQc wrote:

Congratulations to all rewarded, and thanks for your contributions. Keep up the great work! What a great community we have here! Happy to be part of the helping team. Thanks also to the moderators for their efforts especially lately as they deal with the higher than usual volume of support requests from system glitches.

EDIT

I did not create this thread. Someone moved my post and created an entire new topic. I did not want my response in the middle of a thread to start an entire new thread. I don't like being the OP here and I did not want to call this much attention to this.

23 REPLIES 23

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am not really.  Granted we all reuse and recycle and of course the same questions and themes come up over and over but I still don't think it's right to just copy someone's entire post and not attribute it to them via a tag or including a link to the original post or something. I know I routinely post what Martin used to say on these monthly threads but I always say that I'm borrowing the sentiment from him.  I don't know--I know this isn't PMU (Public Mobile University) and we're not publishing dissertations on quantum mechanics or gene splicing or profitiing from plagiarized content here--but it's a matter of basic respect, no?  Anyway, I've said my piece so I'll drop it now.  

Absolutely!  Different people draw the line in different places when it comes to this stuff.  There's no absolute right or wrong.  All I am saying is that we don't have to be so judgemental each and every step of the way considering this is just a help forum.  We are seeing individual posts being surgically moved because it's more correct here than over there.  It just seems totally excessive.  Social justice will never be perfectly served anyway.  I love referring to your illustration of the two step add-on purchase.  For that effort my post is marked as the solution from time to time but yet we all know who did all the heavy lifting.  When I remember I ask people to acknowledge the original source.  I have acknowledged your decency in other ways as well.  What goes around does come around.  Do not judge and you will not be judged.  Let's live and let live.  Smiley Happy

@RobertQc wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@RobertQc wrote:

@mpcdesign wrote:

Congratulations to all rewarded, and thanks for your contributions. Keep up the great work! What a great community we have here! Happy to be part of the helping team. Thanks also to the moderators for their efforts especially lately as they deal with the higher than usual volume of support requests from system glitches.

@mpcdesignI see you have mastered the art of copy + paste

@RobertQc wrote:

Congratulations to all rewarded, and thanks for your contributions. Keep up the great work! What a great community we have here! Happy to be part of the helping team. Thanks also to the moderators for their efforts especially lately as they deal with the higher than usual volume of support requests from system glitches.

@computergeek541Bring your pitchfork. Sorry... but I might be outing myself here as I used to do a lot of searching on this forum when I try to solve an issue someone is having. Either to learn or get more info then I have. From time to time during that search I come across an exceptional amount of knowledge or things I did not know and piece together various word documents for common issues to help new comers and have felt their added knowledge are too good to be buried away on page 613 of the forum. Sometimes just a couple words, sometimes entire sentences, sometimes entire paragraphs.

But maybe mimmo_L is right, maybe this thread should be in the lounge.

(Which I only agree with because of the ones who only post here in the announcements for bravo's)

Pitchforks? hahaha.  Nah, maybe just a mild flogging, but I think that you might have done a double-take when you saw that copied message.

Yes, everyone is right in the sense that copying someone's post here isn't going to harm anyone.  That doesn't mean that it should be practiced or condoned.  When someone has taken the time to think and type something out in a meaningful way, that time taken by that person should be respected.

I do agree with you that the Annoucement forum should be bravoless.  There's nothing wrong in saying congratulations to evveryone in that monthly reward thread, but in the end, it doesn't help anyone solve issues with the service or answer any customer quetsions.  For the regular users, the 5 or 10 bravos that are received from posting in that thread aren't going to make that much a difference, as a couple of posts in other threads will get you that.  But if you don't post in that thread, users are at a slight disadvantage for the next month's rewards. 

We do see some users who we've never heard from before who somehow magically appear when that reward annoucement is made, and the bravos from a post there might be enough to earn a reward when that community user really hasn't done anything to help out.

Love you all, regardless of whos words came from where.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@will13am not really.  Granted we all reuse and recycle and of course the same questions and themes come up over and over but I still don't think it's right to just copy someone's entire post and not attribute it to them via a tag or including a link to the original post or something. I know I routinely post what Martin used to say on these monthly threads but I always say that I'm borrowing the sentiment from him.  I don't know--I know this isn't PMU (Public Mobile University) and we're not publishing dissertations on quantum mechanics or gene splicing or profitiing from plagiarized content here--but it's a matter of basic respect, no?  Anyway, I've said my piece so I'll drop it now.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren wrote:

[hint: my above reply was a passive-aggresive sarcastic statement] [further hint: I guess it's okay to copy anyone's words verbatim with no attempt at crediting the original poster?]

Sure if you believe in those words.

srlawren

[hint: my above reply was a passive-aggresive sarcastic statement] [further hint: I guess it's okay to copy anyone's words verbatim with no attempt at crediting the original poster?]

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren

This community forum has taken on a third purpose.  It's the place to come to get help, offer help AND TO BE JUDGED EVERY STEP OF THE WAY.  Now we have members criticizing other members for plagiarism.  Come on people, where is this going to end?  Think George Bush's speech on being kindler and gentler.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This community forum has taken on a third purpose.  It's the place to come to get help, offer help AND TO BE JUDGED EVERY STEP OF THE WAY.  Now we have members criticizing other members for plagiarism.  Come on people, where is this going to end?  Think George Bush's speech on being kindler and gentler.

@srlawren wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

As for this thread going into the lounge, no way!  This is an official Public Mobile announcement.  It is definitely a part of conducting business for Public Mobile.  

This portion of the thread is so far off the original topic of the Official Public Mobile announcement there is no way it is linked to the business of Public Mobile.

@ShawnC13 no.  But, you could argue it's on-topic for the community.  It might be a bit meta but can we not discuss topics relevant to the community but not directly related to PM?

Well i thought this fits perfectly in the lounge; "Want to talk about your interests, hobbies, or anything that’s not related to phone-stuff? It’s all here." and not in the disscussion; "A general forum for phone related posts that don’t fit anywhere else."

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@RobertQc wrote:

@mpcdesign wrote:

@mpcdesignI see you have mastered the art of copy + paste lol

@RobertQc wrote:

EDIT

I did not create this thread. Someone moved my post and created an entire new topic. I did not want my response in the middle of a thread to start an entire new thread. I don't like being the OP here and I did not want to call this much attention to this.

I created this thread as this was the post that started the off topic discussion from the Official Announcement and this is a good topic for discussion and should have it's own thread so the announcement thread doesn't get clogged up with the discussion.

If you didn't want such a topic discussed the best method would have to been private message the member about your concern rather than quote and draw attention to it.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@srlawren wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

As for this thread going into the lounge, no way!  This is an official Public Mobile announcement.  It is definitely a part of conducting business for Public Mobile.  

This portion of the thread is so far off the original topic of the Official Public Mobile announcement there is no way it is linked to the business of Public Mobile.

@ShawnC13 no.  But, you could argue it's on-topic for the community.  It might be a bit meta but can we not discuss topics relevant to the community but not directly related to PM?

Good point I will move it to discussion and not Lounge

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

srlawren

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@will13am wrote:

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@RobertQc wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@RobertQc wrote:

@mpcdesign wrote:

@RobertQc wrote:

@RobertQc , this user also copied a sentence or 2 that I wrote about Wi-Fi not being part of the SMS specification word for word and I think used it in a macro. This really isn't cool.  I know this may just be a community forum, but a shout out to everyone in community and that a reminder that if you're a student and you're writing a term paper, or if you're an author/reporter writing a book or article, copying peoples' sentences and words can get you in range of trouble including possibly be kicked out of school, losing a job, or even possible legal trouble.  This is something that shouldn't be done.

@computergeek541Bring your pitchfork. Sorry... but I might be outing myself here as I used to do a lot of searching on this forum when I try to solve an issue someone is having. Either to learn or get more info then I have. From time to time during that search I come across an exceptional amount of knowledge or things I did not know and piece together various word documents for common issues to help new comers and have felt their added knowledge are too good to be buried away on page 613 of the forum. Sometimes just a couple words, sometimes entire sentences, sometimes entire paragraphs. Let's be honest the people asking for help almost never search if they did their own research as they should they would have already found the answer to 999/1000 problems buried on an old thread regardless of who the author is.

Almost everything on this forum is someone else’s words- even if you didn't "copy" it you still read it last week and learned about it and reposted it. With how many times I edit, change and piece together information in my documents it would be ridiculous to breakdown my answers of which words came from me and which words came from others and which words were inspired by who. With many thanks I have a lot of really good info I have learned from (just to name a few) @will13am @Luddite @mimmo @srlawren @Martin @Anonymous @popping @ShawnC13 @Dunkman @SD08 @LEGO @stonechucker @NDesai @Anonymous and you, and many others.

@(Too many users mentioned. You can @mention only 15 user(s) in a post.)

The help that is originally mine I am more than happy if someone copies my words even without my knowing. Since the goal is to help. If I find out someone uses my solution well that’s just props to me and makes me smile I could help someone and my words were organized so well they would repost it.

Not only that in order to keep a tag working it needs to be selected each time from the drop down, not just copied from a word document or used with the quote feature. If I started tagging everyone from everything I have learned I would literally be tagging 1000's of times each month. will13am would log in, in the morning and see I quoted him 23 times last night.

Maybe to some I am a horrible person but almost everything I have here, is from someone else teaching me and based on the bravo’s I receive and never once a complaint I thought, and still think I am doing a good job regardless of where I picked up the content. I like to think of us collectedly as a team where we can build on each others knowledge.

As for mpcdesign and his exact copy of my thoughts made me look twice but I am not upset, I just thought lol. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and not think he was on a quick bravo hunt. Maybe he had the exact same thoughts as me and could not express it as well. But he could have had the same feeling as me. Although he could have quoted me and just said "+1" 😛 but at the end of the day yolo.

Lol @RobertQc what a wall of words as if you are a defendant.  As you say the problems are repeats and so should the suggestions.  There are instances where a past response is an outstanding 11 out of 10.  These solutions warrant repeating where appropriate.  Let your judgement decide whether the solution should be copied, linked or whatever.  This is just a community forum where people give and receive help.  Let's not make it into a big deal and judge each other like the court of law.  If the community has become that big of a deal for anyone, I would suggest a time out and a good reflection on where life is heading.  

@computergeek541 wrote:

@RobertQc wrote:

@mpcdesign wrote:

@RobertQc wrote:

@RobertQc , this user also copied a sentence or 2 that I wrote about Wi-Fi not being part of the SMS specification word for word and I think used it in a macro. This really isn't cool.  I know this may just be a community forum, but a shout out to everyone in community and that a reminder that if you're a student and you're writing a term paper, or if you're an author/reporter writing a book or article, copying peoples' sentences and words can get you in range of trouble including possibly be kicked out of school, losing a job, or even possible legal trouble.  This is something that shouldn't be done.

@computergeek541Bring your pitchfork. Sorry... but I might be outing myself here as I used to do a lot of searching on this forum when I try to solve an issue someone is having. Either to learn or get more info then I have. From time to time during that search I come across an exceptional amount of knowledge or things I did not know and piece together various word documents for common issues to help new comers and have felt their added knowledge are too good to be buried away on page 613 of the forum. Sometimes just a couple words, sometimes entire sentences, sometimes entire paragraphs. Let's be honest the people asking for help almost never search if they did their own research as they should they would have already found the answer to 999/1000 problems buried on an old thread regardless of who the author is.

Almost everything on this forum is someone else’s words- even if you didn't "copy" it you still read it last week and learned about it and reposted it. With how many times I edit, change and piece together information in my documents it would be ridiculous to breakdown my answers of which words came from me and which words came from others and which words were inspired by who. With many thanks I have a lot of really good info I have learned from (just to name a few) @will13am @Luddite @mimmo @srlawren @Martin @Anonymous @popping @ShawnC13 @Dunkman @SD08 @LEGO @stonechucker @NDesai @Anonymous and you, and many others.

@(Too many users mentioned. You can @mention only 15 user(s) in a post.)

The help that is originally mine I am more than happy if someone copies my words even without my knowing. Since the goal is to help. If I find out someone uses my solution well that’s just props to me and makes me smile I could help someone and my words were organized so well they would repost it.

Not only that in order to keep a tag working it needs to be selected each time from the drop down, not just copied from a word document or used with the quote feature. If I started tagging everyone from everything I have learned I would literally be tagging 1000's of times each month. will13am would log in, in the morning and see I quoted him 23 times last night.

Maybe to some I am a horrible person but almost everything I have here, is from someone else teaching me and based on the bravo’s I receive and never once a complaint I thought, and still think I am doing a good job regardless of where I picked up the content. I like to think of us collectedly as a team where we can build on each others knowledge.

As for mpcdesign and his exact copy of my thoughts made me look twice but I am not upset, I just thought lol. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and not think he was on a quick bravo hunt. Maybe he had the exact same thoughts as me and could not express it as well. But he could have had the same feeling as me. Although he could have quoted me and just said "+1" 😛 but at the end of the day yolo.

(Which I only agree with because of the ones who only post here in the announcements for bravo's)

@mimmo wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This is not a scholarly journal. This is not writing essays and dissertations.

I just think it's a little lazy to just straight copy what someone else said. I know I've seen one or two things I've said re-stated verbatim. I read the post and think hey those are my words. I take it as a bit of flattery. As I was settling in to participate here, I copied RobertQc's bit on pm'ing the mods. But...I re-wrote bits so that it was more like something I would say.

That's the crux of it for me....it's how I would say it. If someone wants to copy what I wrote...oh well.

But that's just me. Relax. We're all just trying to help out around here.

And at the end of the day...ALL of this content belongs to the site owner.

I have to agree there are no copyrights etc, but why re invent the wheel, @srlawren and i created a contact mod macro together, and that macro has been copied, copied/modified and used by many users. it means we found a way to say something well. and it is flattering, except when used in an incorrect context.

I also agree there are limitations.  posts like the congratulations in this thread should be unique and heartfelt not a copy and paste from a previous months or a copy from someone else, just to get a couple extra bravos.   

Don't hate me, but It might be worth putting future community reward threads in the lounge.   

I would hope that Bravo's from an announcement thread don't count towards rewards, just as the lounge doesn't.  There should be a way to not include this threads in the calculation of rewards

mimmo

@Anonymous wrote:

I just think it's a little lazy to just straight copy what someone else said. I know I've seen one or two things I've said re-stated verbatim. I read the post and think hey those are my words. I take it as a bit of flattery. As I was settling in to participate here, I copied RobertQc's bit on pm'ing the mods. But...I re-wrote bits so that it was more like something I would say.

That's the crux of it for me....it's how I would say it. If someone wants to copy what I wrote...oh well.

I have to agree there are no copyrights etc, but why re invent the wheel, @srlawren and i created a contact mod macro together, and that macro has been copied, copied/modified and used by many users. it means we found a way to say something well. and it is flattering, except when used in an incorrect context.

I also agree there are limitations.  posts like the congratulations in this thread should be unique and heartfelt not a copy and paste from a previous months or a copy from someone else, just to get a couple extra bravos.   

Don't hate me, but It might be worth putting future community reward threads in the lounge.   

@youbme wrote:

Woohoo!!! Congratulations everyone, another month of awesome community 🙂

Beware...short rant:

@mpcdesign, plagiarism is really unacceptable and frankly just silly that you think you need to copy/paste someone else's post just to get something posted on a thread. It's one thing to copy/paste information to help others (still questionable when not cited), but to copy someone's thoughts and pass them on as your own? No. Just no.

--end rant.

^^ and it should include peoples signatures that are included with their posts

Anonymous
Not applicable

@stonechucker wrote:

This why I don’t use the macros.  I write everything when I post.

Personally, I'm not a fan of them either.  Even so, someone copying complete sentences and even entire paragraphs is in fact, plagirism.  No one's going to go reporting this or anything to get anyone in trouble, but it is still unacceptable, nevertheless.  Even contents of presaved macros still need to be your words, your sentences, etc., not material that you thought was so well written, that it just gets copied.

I know some of the time, large companies don't really have a choice but to copy and paste canned, or partially canned responses, and/or to use a template.  Otherwise, it'd just take so long to reply to the messages from every customer.

The unfortunate side of that is that people generally don't like pre-scripted answers, but I can live with them if the information provided is correct and the response is appropriate.  However, there's a tendency (not necessarily just people here or the moderators, but at any company/on any forum), to just rush through messages and paste something that doesn't even answer the question.  That happens when people rush.

This why I don’t use the macros.  I write everything when I post.

@RobertQc wrote:

@mpcdesign wrote:

@RobertQc wrote:

youbme
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Woohoo!!! Congratulations everyone, another month of awesome community 🙂

Beware...short rant:

@mpcdesign, plagiarism is really unacceptable and frankly just silly that you think you need to copy/paste someone else's post just to get something posted on a thread. It's one thing to copy/paste information to help others (still questionable when not cited), but to copy someone's thoughts and pass them on as your own? No. Just no.

--end rant.

Need Help? Let's chat.