cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next car- gas or EV?

elhota
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Seems that everyone I talk to these days is saying that their next car will be an EV.  The EV revolution is coming in the next 3-4 years as soon as the mainstream car manufacturers (VW, Honda, GM etc) start ramping up their production, the infrastructure for charging stations is built up, and battery longevity/technology improves.  EVs are far less costly to own over a 10 year timeframe due to lower fuel/charging costs and lower maintenance repairs.  Plus better performance, acceleration compared to gas.  And with ever rising fuel costs, once the EV revolution begins, gas go the way of the dodo bird (much like the decline of conventional film cameras when digital cameras were introduced or typewriters when PCs came on board). 

I am likely going to need to purchase my next car within the next 4-5 years.  My mind tells me that I should go EV (i.e. Tesla Model 3, or the new VW ID etc) but my heart wants a gas VW GTI (even though it is more costly to maintain).  I can't resist the enjoyment of shifting gears, hearing the sound of the engine/exhaust roar.  Also, I want to teach my son how to drive a stick when he gets his driver's license in 5 years.  I know manual transmissions are going to be extinct but I still would like him to experience it.

What to do?

16 REPLIES 16

ChallengerOwner
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yes alot of the newer Volkswagens have some pretty annoying issues, have you looked into the GOLF Rs? Those things are awesome. GTIs are awesome as well but alot of the newer models have alot of battery issues, window issues, and lots of others. Maybe try and go for somethings 2016 and under? Or try for a standard diesel passat? Or diesel golf? Are you set only on vw? Have you looked into Audi or other vehicles? Do you care more about fuel mileage or something to enjoy all year long? Maybe I could get you a better idea and then you can make your decision...cause as you know it's no small decision lol. 

elhota

I'm thinking of getting a used 2019 GTI in about 4 years but I've heard that they have a lot of issues. A friend had a 2015 GTI and she had so many issues with it in the one year she owned it.  It left her stranded with a failed water pump (or was it a fuel pump).  She joined an online forum with other GTI owners, and within 2 years all of the owners sold their GTIs.  Also, Consumer Reports rated it with very poor reliability.

But the GTI has all the features that I want in a car- fun to drive, fairly quick, lots of passenger space, and cargo space, nice upscale interior, and also fuel efficient.  So I wonder if I should take a chance and go for a used one.. I think maybe it's hit and miss with those cars (some are reliable but some are lemons).   but I really wouldn't want to own a car that I would be taking to the mechanic every couple of months.

ChallengerOwner
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey so I am probably the worst person to comment on this but...I also drive a manual car ( 6 speed 2016 dodge challenger R/T) and nothing beats the savings of a manual car. Now yes it sucks right now with gas prices and even more with the prices of premium 😭 but in the end it depends on what you value most. I value speed, sound, and the feeling of a muscle car. If you teach your son how to drive manual he will be one of the coolest kids out there and have an edge over the others since automatics basically take the market over. 

Now if you go with a GTI you won't be let down...my last car was a 2001 Volkswagen Jetta vr6 and I sold it with 450,000 kms so these cars can last with the proper maintenance. Diesel would be for someone who travels alot.  I used to work for Volkswagen so if you have any questions about a specific vehicle I can tell you if it's worth it. I know alot of the issues and the things they try to hide lol. 

Felixbthe1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Yep, I think you have a good plan in place, VW Microbus would be unreal!

elhota

I like your suggestion.  My car right now is a standard with low mileage.  But it's a 2007 model that likely will be a rust bucket by the time my son gets his drivers license in 5 years. So I might need to replace it in 4 or 5 years.  My wife's minivan is due for replacement around that time too.  Maybe I can replace my car with a standard and replace her minivan with an EV (a VW Microbus looks good!)

Felixbthe1

Find a good deal on a standard car or truck so you have it to teach your son on and take it for a rip when you want, it's a transition gas ain't going away for awhile,it's needed to make the transition. Trade your are in on an electric in 6 years when electric vehicles will be cheaper than gasoline cars and trucks.

Felixbthe1

Still not inexpensive even with rebates $34,000 +taxes, frieght etc etc.

Felixbthe1

By the year 2025 an electric car's battery with only be 30% of the car's worth. The batteries are becoming cheaper to make and will have a much longer range . The cost of an electric car will also be cheaper than a gas car to buy 6 years from now. If the technology is there I will defiantly go electric.

elhota

As much as I like the gti, the numbers just don't justify getting one anymore. In 4 years, when it's time to replace my car, I could either buy a used 4 year old gti for $20k or a new VW ID for $25k (assuming that the pricing is in line with a Golf Diesel, as VW claims it will be).  With the savings in fuel and maintenance, the total cost savings for the ID will probably surpass the gti within 5 years.  The gti will put a smile on my face every time I drive it- not so sure about the ID though.

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I would say get an EV now while "things" are cheap.

"Things" meaning

1. Charging stations are still free (at least where I live in Vancouver). That is changing as we speak. Downtown Vancouver, they are charging money to charge your vehicle, and it is at rip off rates. Most other places are still free.

2. EV rebates. Once EV's are well established, these will be gone.

3. HOV access stickers. Not going to last forever.

4. Gas taxes for road maintenance, etc. None existent on EV's so far. Not sure how they are going to transition those taxes to EV's.

5. Auto Insurance discounts. Again, when EV's are well established, these will be gone.

With the price of gas being what it is around here ($1.72/litre in Vancouver), the amount of money you save by not filling up on gas per month, could probably pay the monthly lease or loan payments on a new EV.

I've been a Chevy Volt driver since 2015. Started out with a 2013, then went to a 2016. In my view, the Volt is probably the best commuter car in existence. I think it failed because Chevy didn't do a good job marketing it and most people don't understand how it works.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Electric once level 3 charging becomes mainstream.  By the way the current comparison of gas vs electricity cost is illusory.  Once governments lose taxes from gasoline, it will be transitioned over to electricity.  The choice is less about cost but more about following the future development is transportation.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TheGx wrote:

Wish I could afford an electric car, I'd get the Volvo SUV electric model if I could.  In Alberta the kenny pcs just got elected, so there no chance of rebates anymore, and Trudeau is looking to be in trouble too - so maybe no EV rebates in future.

But at these gas prices can you afford not to.

I did some quick math the other day. The Bolt allegedly gets 380 km's. It's a ~60 kwh battery. Charging it to full at home would cost me $5.30 at the BCHydro lower rate. Charging it to 80% at a fast charge comes to about $13. Let's even say $15.

To get a gas car with comparable cost per km at a fast charger would have to be able to get 3.5 l/100km or in real talk 🙂 80 miles per imperial gallon at $1.40 per litre.

If there is such a gas beast then you would have to spend a fortune on it to get that kind of mileage. The basic Bolt is $44,800. Minus BC's $5000 and maybe minus the federal $5000 makes it very attractive.

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Wish I could afford an electric car, I'd get the Volvo SUV electric model if I could.  In Alberta the kenny pcs just got elected, so there no chance of rebates anymore, and Trudeau is looking to be in trouble too - so maybe no EV rebates in future.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The federal rebate isn't set up yet. It's an election year. Read into that what you will.

Here in BC we currently have a $5000 rebate. I'm looking forward to stacking that with the future fed one if it ever comes out.

An EV will definitely be my next car.

The Bolt is a great choice. Likely what I will get. It has the range. Kia is coming out with a couple models that will have even slightly greater range than the Bolt. Not sure about price yet wrt the fed rebate.

Tesla's are beautiful cars just WAY too much money. Even the cheap one would be another 10-15 more than the Bolt before rebates.

elhota

None of the cars on the list are too appealing.  Maybe the eGolf, but it only has a 201 km range.  I can't justify paying $44K for a Chevy Bolt even with the $5k rebate.  I've ridden in one, and boy does that car feel cheap!

Doug Ford, pls bring back the $14K rebate for Ontario 🙂 

Need Help? Let's chat.