cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
z10user4
Mayor / Maire

New-fangled mobile phone

So we were talking about rural phone systems in another thread and I mentioned that I have the Telus Wireless Home Phone.

Then there's @AE_Collector and his collection. I like the real bell analog ringer in these things.

So I took this phone system elsewhere and figured this was good for a laugh. It has a battery in it so hey it's mobile.

20200210_210339.jpg

Re: New-fangled mobile phone

Is that a crack in the plastic of that phone? That wireless router looks like 802.11b or something like that.  If you wanted to go really old school, find a pure wired router.

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

@computergeek541 

It's a clear hard plastic faceplate. I need to get @z10user4  a replacement!

@z10user4 

Next to built that INTO the phone!

AE_Collector

z10user4
Mayor / Maire

@computergeek541 wrote:

Is that a crack in the plastic of that phone? That wireless router looks like 802.11b or something like that.  If you wanted to go really old school, find a pure wired router.

Yes it is a crack.

No. This is a current real working system. It's the device for the Wireless Home Phone service. It uses the cell system and then has a couple phone jacks in it to plug in a landline kind of phone.

@z10user4 wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

Yes it is a crack.

No. This is a current real working system. It's the device for the Wireless Home Phone service. It uses the cell system and then has a couple phone jacks in it to plug in a landline kind of phone.

I didn't notice before how the phone line goes to the router. I understand now.  I am assuming that the router has a sim card in it and that the Wi-Fi antenna is to provide internet. Since is has standard phone jack connections any regular home phone can be plugged in.

It wasn't too long ago that separate USB internet sticks, VoIP adapters, wireless home phone devices, and wireless routers were needed. I never even though of it before how a WHP device could also have built-in Wi-Fi.  That was being discussed recently in another thread.I was probably thinking of the ones that don't have that because of how the sim cards on some plans are restricted in the way that they can be used. 

z10user4
Mayor / Maire

@computergeek541 

The other device/service I have from Telus called Smarthub is a wifi router and has an rj45 jack and 2 rj11 jacks but it seems those phone jacks are disabled.

This one just has the 2 phone jacks. The antenna is the cell antenna.

Both have batteries and power and use SIM's. So it was a joke that I called this a mobile phone simply because it can be.

Although I tried driving along and turned on the Smarthub (not being the driver) and it didn't want to connect. Maybe another time I'll have it on to start and see if it will stay connected.

@AE_Collector : I'm not sure I need to invest any money into these things. I have two other older ones that we've talked about before. They work.

@z10user4 wrote:

@computergeek541 

The other device/service I have from Telus called Smarthub is a wifi router and has an rj45 jack and 2 rj11 jacks but it seems those phone jacks are disabled.

Both have batteries and power and use SIM's. So it was a joke that I called this a mobile phone simply because it can be.

So, you could go for a walk and use that to make a phone call? You'd definitely get some stares.  

z10user4
Mayor / Maire

@computergeek541 wrote:

@z10user4 wrote:

@computergeek541 

So, you could go for a walk and use that to make a phone call? You'd definitely get some stares.  

lol Well now I have to try! Thanks. Jeez.

🙂

Maybe I'll make a utoob channel and get a zillion views and make a fortune. Yeah that's the ticket.

Then I wonder how long the battery would last while actively using the phone.

will13am
Oracle

@computergeek541 wrote:

@z10user4 wrote:

@computergeek541 

The ZTE device is a standalone wireless home phone base.  It connects to the cellular network and can transmit and receive.  It does need a phone to be connected to it to answer and make calls.  There is enough power coming out of the two jacks to run up to something like 5 devices.  Disconnect the incoming signal at the demarc and you can back feed the output on the base into the phone jacks in the house.  I have been using one of these for about a decade.  It is great for people who have cottages, second homes.  You bring your home phone with you.  For anyone interested in ditching their landline but are afraid to cut the cord, this is a good way to cut the cord and still have a home phone.  Koodo (sister brand to Public Mobile) offers the best deal at $5 per month for unlimited Canada wide calling and usual bevy of calling features.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

I have Koodo one. $5 for first 12 months then $20 afterwards

Need Help? Let's chat.