cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New-fangled mobile phone

Anonymous
Not applicable

So we were talking about rural phone systems in another thread and I mentioned that I have the Telus Wireless Home Phone.

Then there's @AE_Collector and his collection. I like the real bell analog ringer in these things.

So I took this phone system elsewhere and figured this was good for a laugh. It has a battery in it so hey it's mobile.

20200210_210339.jpg

31 REPLIES 31

And to think we were taught basic "printing" and "writing" ... then taught better "printing" from a draftsman and better "writing" from a calligrapher. Just part of standard public education for the common masses.

Personal signatures have always been scribbly and unintelligible, of course, but back in those days they were artistically scribbly and unintelligible, they required practice and were basically part of your academic grade, lol.

And no calculators on tests, at least not until about 3rd or 4th year university when they finally decided that you probably knew how to do basic math anyhow (although by then the basic math was hardly used and you needed advanced algorithms, so programmable calculators were banned, lol). No textbooks or references or cheatsheets, either - you were being tested for knowledge, after all, and you either knew it or you didn't.

@Luddite wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@Korth 

They no longer teach cursive in school. You can note the generational shift by those who can read it or not. I remember having a conversation with my sister (a UBC prof) being frustrated because her students were complaining about the difficulty of completing certain assignments which required disseminating stats from handwritten documents. They were unable to read them.

A retired teacher told us that cursive is no longer taught because there isn't enough time in the curriculum! 🤣

@Luddite  There's no e emphasis put on penmanship whatsoever anymore. After years of diligently working every weekend on his printing, spelling and vocabulary my nephew and I had it out on day and I said fine we won't do it anymore.....about a year later in grade 6 he was over for the weekend and required to finish some school work. I checked on it and it was barely legible. Shocked I pulled out some of the work he had done at our place when he was in grade two it was neat and very legible and he didn't recognize it as his own. In a year he had regressed to the printing of a kindergartener. When I asked what his teacher thought of his printing skill he shrugged his shoulders and told me this is how he always does it!!

@CFPartDeux wrote

Can't quite make that out, on the black phone.... that thing on the front, in the middle of the brass? plate.... is that a switch, to go from Line 1 to Line 2? 🤔

Yes...correct. That one is a Simple two line phone with no provision to hold either line. There were other similar models with two and even three switches to allow for hold and other features. These models 1930-1950.

AE_Collector

@darlicious wrote:

@Korth 

They no longer teach cursive in school. You can note the generational shift by those who can read it or not. I remember having a conversation with my sister (a UBC prof) being frustrated because her students were complaining about the difficulty of completing certain assignments which required disseminating stats from handwritten documents. They were unable to read them.

A retired teacher told us that cursive is no longer taught because there isn't enough time in the curriculum! 🤣

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@AE_Collector wrote:

@CFPartDeux wrote:

@AE_Collector  Now THAT'S a funky lookin' old phone! 👍

Yeah there are Several of them around here!

Can't quite make that out, on the black phone.... that thing on the front, in the middle of the brass? plate.... is that a switch, to go from Line 1 to Line 2? 🤔

@CFPartDeux wrote:

Yeah there are Several of them around here!

AE_Collector

1B927E46-C7CB-447D-82FE-4616C49C0558.jpeg

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@robert123451234 wrote:

I purchased this unit and with a PM sim, i have a home pohone again. its nice to hear a dial tone again, and not get calls all day everywhere you are.

Have you tried a rotary dial phone on it? Some devices support both tone and pulse dialling while others only support tones.

AE_Collector

CEC1D8E0-4674-4698-BFEA-97179EDC3DA9.jpeg

@darlicious wrote:

Sad times. I remember joking predictions about the future, people claiming humanity wouldn't be able to read and write, wouldn't be able to do basic arithmetic, wouldn't even be able to remember simple facts like phone numbers and addresses, would become increasingly reliant on machines communicating (and thinking) for them. Like primitive humans consulting shamans, worshipping icons, and using simple sets of common pictographs.

robert123451234
New in Town / Nouveau en Ville

I purchased this unit and with a PM sim, i have a home pohone again. its nice to hear a dial tone again, and not get calls all day everywhere you are.

@Korth 

Writing is obsolete?

I think businesses and offices generate more paper than ever before.

And the most fundamental biometric for authenticating identity in our government, legal, and financial systems is still the centuries-old hand-written signature. (Even though such signatures have always been vulnerable to forgery attacks and other unique biometrics offering more reliable security/convenience do exist.)

@darlicious wrote:

@will13am  I did go to OCA back in the day....studied fine art. I'm out of practice but I can draw, paint...mostly watercolour but I can also use acrylic or oil paints. Pen &ink illustrations, pointilism, cartooning (darlicious) and did some printmaking. Mostly photography these days but every once in awhile I get inspired and I'll knock out a piece.20180203_130031.jpg

Good for you.  I barely have the skills to operate a writing device.  Most of the time, I can't read my own writing.  Sadly, I am not a doctor or pharmacist.  I am so happy that keyboarding rendered writing obsolete.  

@will13am  I did go to OCA back in the day....studied fine art. I'm out of practice but I can draw, paint...mostly watercolour but I can also use acrylic or oil paints. Pen &ink illustrations, pointilism, cartooning (darlicious) and did some printmaking. Mostly photography these days but every once in awhile I get inspired and I'll knock out a piece.20180203_130031.jpg

@darlicious wrote:

@Anonymous 

As I read thru thus thread I couldn't get a basic image out of my head....but by collaborating with @AE_Collector  to pick the right kind of phone I couldn't help but sketch out your costume for Halloween this year.....a public mobile phone booth!You could charge a loonie to make a phone call!

Are you a caricature artist?  Nice job. 

@darlicious 

Better get the $5/500 minute add-on if charging for calls!

AE_Collector

@Anonymous 

As I read thru thus thread I couldn't get a basic image out of my head....but by collaborating with @AE_Collector  to pick the right kind of phone I couldn't help but sketch out your costume for Halloween this year.....a public mobile phone booth!You could charge a loonie to make a phone call!

The ZTE device is clever and handy. It contains a SIM card which can be swapped. Although it's likely running carrier-locked and write-protected firmware (so it'll refuse to work with any other SIM) unless you deliberately purchased your own unlocked one from Alibaba.

I expect this sort of device will become exclusively eSIM soon, if it hasn't already. So it won't be long before your model truly earns a place next to that other phone antique.

Female Aviators in early 20th century, so many cool things going on. Of course have to have the cigarettes too.

I bet you could fit it in with antenae inside the case as well.

AE_Collector

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jb456 wrote:

I have Koodo one. $5 for first 12 months then $20 afterwards

The Telus offering was $10 and a device charge over 2 years. That's coming up for me at the beginning of May coinciding with probably not keeping the service.

@AE_Collector : what a great pic. What are they...stewardesses??

Funny about the phone tester guy.

Or de-case the ZTE and drill a hole for the antenna and put the circuit board and battery in the phone 🙂

I can't recall where I grabbed this from, maybe on here but from somewhere. I think it is just the coolest picture. Of course it is likely not really "old" but is like it is predicting the future with lots of Star Trek like "old technology"....

AE_Collector

AF443133-0C9E-4007-B3DA-80DB3B56B4A8.jpeg

@Anonymous 

Quite a bit of room inside an AE 80E telephone for more batteries! I have a couple around here with a RJ11 jack in the back rather than having the hardwired cord coming out the back to a plug. Thus it could be used as the power/charging input and you wouldn't have a 7 foot cord hanging from it while "out for a walk". 

A fellow phone collector friend had something like this he took with him to flea markets and yard sales etc. When he found a phone he was interested in and asked "does it work" he would then verify their answer!

AE_Collector

I have Koodo one. $5 for first 12 months then $20 afterwards

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 

The other device/service I have from Telus called Smarthub is a wifi router and has an rj45 jack and 2 rj11 jacks but it seems those phone jacks are disabled.

This one just has the 2 phone jacks. The antenna is the cell antenna.

Both have batteries and power and use SIM's. So it was a joke that I called this a mobile phone simply because it can be.

So, you could go for a walk and use that to make a phone call? You'd definitely get some stares.  

The ZTE device is a standalone wireless home phone base.  It connects to the cellular network and can transmit and receive.  It does need a phone to be connected to it to answer and make calls.  There is enough power coming out of the two jacks to run up to something like 5 devices.  Disconnect the incoming signal at the demarc and you can back feed the output on the base into the phone jacks in the house.  I have been using one of these for about a decade.  It is great for people who have cottages, second homes.  You bring your home phone with you.  For anyone interested in ditching their landline but are afraid to cut the cord, this is a good way to cut the cord and still have a home phone.  Koodo (sister brand to Public Mobile) offers the best deal at $5 per month for unlimited Canada wide calling and usual bevy of calling features.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 

The other device/service I have from Telus called Smarthub is a wifi router and has an rj45 jack and 2 rj11 jacks but it seems those phone jacks are disabled.

Both have batteries and power and use SIM's. So it was a joke that I called this a mobile phone simply because it can be.

So, you could go for a walk and use that to make a phone call? You'd definitely get some stares.  

lol Well now I have to try! Thanks. Jeez.

🙂

Maybe I'll make a utoob channel and get a zillion views and make a fortune. Yeah that's the ticket.

Then I wonder how long the battery would last while actively using the phone.

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 

Although I tried driving along and turned on the Smarthub (not being the driver) and it didn't want to connect. Maybe another time I'll have it on to start and see if it will stay connected.

@AE_Collector : I'm not sure I need to invest any money into these things. I have two other older ones that we've talked about before. They work.

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

Is that a crack in the plastic of that phone? That wireless router looks like 802.11b or something like that.  If you wanted to go really old school, find a pure wired router.

Yes it is a crack.

No. This is a current real working system. It's the device for the Wireless Home Phone service. It uses the cell system and then has a couple phone jacks in it to plug in a landline kind of phone.

I didn't notice before how the phone line goes to the router. I understand now.  I am assuming that the router has a sim card in it and that the Wi-Fi antenna is to provide internet. Since is has standard phone jack connections any regular home phone can be plugged in.

It wasn't too long ago that separate USB internet sticks, VoIP adapters, wireless home phone devices, and wireless routers were needed. I never even though of it before how a WHP device could also have built-in Wi-Fi.  That was being discussed recently in another thread.I was probably thinking of the ones that don't have that because of how the sim cards on some plans are restricted in the way that they can be used. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

Is that a crack in the plastic of that phone? That wireless router looks like 802.11b or something like that.  If you wanted to go really old school, find a pure wired router.

Yes it is a crack.

No. This is a current real working system. It's the device for the Wireless Home Phone service. It uses the cell system and then has a couple phone jacks in it to plug in a landline kind of phone.

@computergeek541 

It's a clear hard plastic faceplate. I need to get @Anonymous  a replacement!

@Anonymous 

Next to built that INTO the phone!

AE_Collector

Need Help? Let's chat.