cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDP unveils plan to lower cellphone and internet costs intends

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

This would be great to limit costs for internet access but probalby not viable by the major isps and cell providers.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/06/10/ndp-unveils-plan-to-lower-cellphone-internet-costs-intends-to-inc...

11 REPLIES 11

Promises by politicians who've already repeatedly demonstrated their lack of transparency and utter unaccountability.

And in the real world, government controls usually evolve into long-term regulation, politics, unions, unproductive committees and studies, rules made by uninformed bureaucrats, rules enforced by unmotivated apparatchniks, etc. 

At least today the Big Three (and Little Sibling) have to lobby hard with all levels of government (and hide behind anti-consumer lobby groups like the CWTA) to maintain their privileged and protected oligopoly. Imagine how much easier it would be for them to "legally" force price hikes once they become anuntouchable and centralized government institution. $29 or $39 regulatory caps could (and would ) easily climb towards $129 or $239 regulatory caps with government sanctions and corporate impunity. When's the last time anyone ever saw Canada's government open taxation to competitors or abolish a source of income? 

Wholecloud
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I haven't heard concrete plans from NDP on lower cellphone/Internet plan costs so far so keep expecting to pay a premium if you want a phone+plan bundle with a decent phone. Somebody's gotta pay for the phone and its not the network.

NDP policies are a joke

Somehow (never say exactly how) they will give us all this stuff AND less taxes and more money in our pockets at the end of the day

You need to be beyond gullible to actually support them

Just look at some of the absurdity they are throwing around for next election

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ndp-singh-health-policy-federal-election-1.5175899

Andrea-N
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Seems intriguing I’ll have to look it up and see what it’s all about. It would make sense to lower the cost but meh what do I know 🤷‍♀️ Lol

@LovesToPM wrote:

They won't gain many votes with these kind of proposals:

"An average cellphone plan with 300 calls and 1GB of data in the OECD is currently $29 a month. Singh said the NDP is proposing for it to be shifted to a $39 monthly cap."

Aren't we currently paying $25 ($23 with AutoPay) for this plan, albeit 3G speed?

And most Canadian providers charge up to $35 for a 1 GB plan.

Looks like the party leader needs to take some lessons in cell plan shopping 101.  Regulation as a means of price control invariably backfires.  Regulations of that nature means increases in cost of doing business which consumers end up footing the bill.  The best way regulators can assists in price reduction is puting in place a regulatory framework that maximizes competition.  

This is what drives me crazy about all the complaining about cell phone pricing. Everyone wants it to just be mandated lower cost so they don’t have to do any work. Most of us here have done our homework and found great deals here at PM but the rest just want to complain. Sometimes I wish government would stay out of it. They fixed the three year contracts for us by mandating two year maximum contracts and all the plan prices went up in price to cover the phone over only two years. I keep a phone for 5-6 years and don’t want to pay for it for all those years. Phones shouldn’t be bundled with cell service plans IMHO. Landline phones were unbundled in the 80’s. It is good to see more BYOD plans at the carriers now but guess what, the complainers probably want the latest iPhone with lots of LTE data for $20. Without good profits, coverage and data speed won’t continue to improve. Infrastructure is very expensive.

Terry

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

They won't gain many votes with these kind of proposals:

"An average cellphone plan with 300 calls and 1GB of data in the OECD is currently $29 a month. Singh said the NDP is proposing for it to be shifted to a $39 monthly cap."

Aren't we currently paying $25 ($23 with AutoPay) for this plan, albeit 3G speed?

And most Canadian providers charge up to $35 for a 1 GB plan.

To me, this sound like an attempt by the leader/party to be popular.  I'll believe that lower costs are coming when I actually see the better price plans.

That’s what they said about Tommy Douglas when he and his party prior to the NDP suggested free healthcare.

Oh look, pharmacare is also on the NDP platform for the next election.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

It's easy to make promises when you don't have a chance to get elected or  actually get your motion approvrd in parliament

Tammy3
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Wouldn't that be nice! We pay the highest in utilities and services!

Need Help? Let's chat.