cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Neighbours are real Critters....

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

A little before dusk I went next door to visit the neighbour for a drink on their "patio". Not long after single mom Rocky wandered over with her rambunctious little kitties making a racket as they played  climbing in and out of the big cedar tree and chasing Bebe the neighbours cat around if he got too close for comfort. They grow up so fast. You have to enjoy these moments.........!!😃

PXL_20210908_024628358.jpgPXL_20210908_024512461.jpgPXL_20210908_024403403.jpg

26 REPLIES 26

yardbirder
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@darlicious 

I was just scrolling through posts and saw yours on Critters, great photos BTW. I'm glad we don't have skunks or coyotes on Vancouver Island, lots of raccoon though. They come at night and get into the bird feeders, occasionally even taking the feeders away with them. I assume they want to dig the seeds out of them at their leisure or maybe just to play with. I don't seem to get out and take pics of them, they tend to scamper up trees and disappear. Got a few good pics of baby owls once though, had to use a flashlight to illuminate them.

2009_0610 baby owl 1.JPG2009_0610owls0007.JPG

Wait a minute.....

PXL_20210922_003323964.jpg

@CFPartDeux

Yes thats my roof or more correctly my landlord the owners roof. Maintenance is at a bare minimum. We do what we can....but that's after a winter season of rain. We do clear it off each spring, the summer's sun burns the rest of it off and the whole process starts all over come fall. We are part of the solution to make Vancouver a green city!😃🌿🌱

DSCF1410.JPG

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@darlicious wrote:

This one doesn't show up very often but gets a fair amount of attention when it does.

That's a hawk, isn't it? Don't THINK it's a falcon..... 🤔

On another note, is that your roof that bird is sittin' on?

This one doesn't show up very often but gets a fair amount of attention when it does.

20190310_181238.jpg

@CFPartDeux 

Well the cat door is from the kitchen to the porch then out the window down about 6 feet. Marcus will go out the window if necessary and in it in an emergency ie.coyotes. He prefers concierge service. Minty has not come back in the house since escaping two days after seeing the vet. So yes she gets fed outside whenever she makes an appearance. The bf saw her down by the kayak storage near Science World last week she was sleeping on a lounger in the yard a few hours later.

CFPartDeux

@darlicious wrote:

@CFPartDeux 

Lol...not me! I had to give my roommate crap for doing it.....even though he not so secretly continued. Well he learned his lesson when his share of the "crop" on the deck was dug up and broken and lying in a sad heap over the edge on the porch roof.

Oh well, at least the lesson was learned.

He didn't realize the squirrels would hide the peanuts in our planters

The Jays do the same thing around here - quite the mess they make too! 😠

CFPartDeux

@darlicious wrote:

Marcus likes to hang with the skunks

Ooooh, maybe you ought to seal up that cat door, so you can do a smell test before Marcus is allowed entry. 😱 🤣

and Minty holds her own against Rock's kits but concedes her food when presented with more than one.

Meaning what - Minty is fed outside, or the raccoons come in the cat door for free chow?

The squirrels stay up in the trees or they can be the catch of the day.

Seems they also hang out on the roof, and window sill, where ISTR seeing your cats before...... 🤔

@CFPartDeux 

Lol...not me! I had to give my roommate crap for doing it.....even though he not so secretly continued. Well he learned his lesson when his share of the "crop" on the deck was dug up and broken and lying in a sad heap over the edge on the porch roof. He didn't realize the squirrels would hide the peanuts in our planters and dig them up in the spring. Lesson learned by a costly weekly trip to the dispensary for the next year.

CFPartDeux

@Anonymous wrote:

@CFPartDeux : So I gotta ask...over time I see you write kittehs. Is that slang?

Yes, sort of.....

Where from?

ISTR it's from some TV show, although I don't recall which..... I dunno..... maybe South Park.....

EDIT - it just came to me..... I THINK "kitteh" probably came from this site:  lolcats 

Or how do you pronounce it? Kit-ay?

Yes.

Is it actually wanting to be kitties? Does your typing struggle to find the n key just below? Inquiring minds wanna know.

Any such typing from me, like "kitteh", or "dunno", or your "wanna" above, etc. is intentional..... anything else that appears to be a typo probably is, i.e. I do occasionally miss things when proofreading. 😁

CFPartDeux

@Anonymous wrote:

@darlicious : Betcha any one of those squirrels are invasive too.

Especially when SOMEONE feeds them(peanuts on the window sill 🙄), so they keep coming back..... wonder who it could be.... 😉

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CFPartDeux : So I gotta ask...over time I see you write kittehs. Is that slang? Where from? Or how do you pronounce it? Kit-ay? Is it actually wanting to be kitties? Does your typing struggle to find the n key just below? Inquiring minds wanna know.

@darlicious @Anonymous 

Two different friends had raccoons made a hole under the soffit and started make a home I the attic. 
Once they have babies in the attic, it will be tough to get rid of them and they will return every year. They had to call the exterminator to get rid of them.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : Betcha any one of those squirrels are invasive too.

@hairbag1 

Lol....clever use my own pics to illustrate your point! Max was too quick up a tree and in the house for Bitey to even have a chance. Marcus likes to hang with the skunks and Minty holds her own against Rock's kits but concedes her food when presented with more than one. The squirrels stay up in the trees or they can be the catch of the day.

DSCF1735.JPG20200918_100842.jpgDSCF1413.JPG20191013_180723.jpg

@CFPartDeux wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

David Suzuki and The Nature of Things had an excellent documentary about raccoons in Toronto a few years ago....very insightful.

So, just out of curiosity, did that documentary include any info about the hazards of raccoon latrines, and anything about the likelihood of them killing cats? 🤔

As for Max & Bitey, good on Max, but kittehs are often on coyotes' menus...... fortunately, Bitey must've not been THAT hungry, and Max must've been too difficult to be made into a meal. 👍

What Max and kits look like to Bitey !!...

hairbag1_0-1631414287841.jpeg

CFPartDeux

@darlicious wrote:

David Suzuki and The Nature of Things had an excellent documentary about raccoons in Toronto a few years ago....very insightful.

So, just out of curiosity, did that documentary include any info about the hazards of raccoon latrines, and anything about the likelihood of them killing cats? 🤔

As for Max & Bitey, good on Max, but kittehs are often on coyotes' menus...... fortunately, Bitey must've not been THAT hungry, and Max must've been too difficult to be made into a meal. 👍

@Anonymous 

Of course I don't want them inside.....that was quite a few years ago like 2013 when Rocky had 5 kits to feed and in 2017 when we had such dry spring she couldn't feed the kits on a normal diet of grubs and worms and such because the ground was so hard packed. But you had to bring up Bitey didn't you? The reason it took so long for the conservation officers so long to find him was he was crashing out in our backyard! Max kept him in line though.....

Screenshot_20210307-111635_Samsung Internet~2.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : Yes and coyotes too...which is all very well for them...but not us. I spoke up here when you mentioned them being inside and further to BKNS27's post. That's very bad to have them inside and they are also very destructive. Heck nesting birds and wood peckers can also do damage but they tend to stay outside. Keep deterring critters. 

@Anonymous 

I suppose I could worry about rabies but raccoons are habituated to city life and have very defined territories that they stick to rarely crossing boundaries into anothers. So I much prefer Rocky the raccoon that we do know than one we don't know..... David Suzuki and The Nature of Things had an excellent documentary about raccoons in Toronto a few years ago....very insightful.

Luckily these guys were thwarted before they were able to fully move into our house and are still living next door. Bear repellent is very effective deterrent for lots of critters.

20190822_183008.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : um...yeah...in a human interface setting these things are vermin. As for being inside...please look up the word zoonosis and have a thought about our lovely last 18 months.

They're one of my favourite animals what with their smarts and hand and tool usage. But not around my house.

It's a bird! It's a plane! Oh its nothing....

PXL_20210908_024444555.jpg

@BKNS27 

Rocky the raccoon has been a very successful mother over the years even with her handicap. She has wandered in the house looking for cat food. We caught her climbing over my tv in the bedroom in the middle of the night and she broke the lid of my crock pot climbing up a shelf in the kitchen to steal a bag of bagels after she came thru the cat door.

PXL_20210908_024901497.NIGHT.jpg

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@darlicious 

When I was single and bought my first house. I rented the basement to a girl with a cat. She would leave cat food outside and the racoons would come and got their dinner at night.

I was cleaning the basement for the next renter after she moved away. The racoons will scratch on the sliding door asking for more food.

@popping...

hairbag1_0-1631233506231.jpeg

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I have woodpecker chipping away on my wood siding.

I am getting a Wyze V3 outdoor cam with two way voice to yell at it when it come by again.  

Need Help? Let's chat.