cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mexico SIM card telcel

Traveler22
New Neighbour / Nouveau Voisin

Hi! Bought telcel SIM card (Mexico’s largest provider) for trip to Mexico. Limited wi-fi. Have you had good experience with it?

In their instructions it says iPhone may not be supported due to unlocking issue - contact your carrier (Public Mobile) to unlick it. Any problems with locking?

10 REPLIES 10

Simple...just answer the call as usually would.

Traveler22

One thing I don’t understand is telcel’s instruction to receive calls from Canada +52(10 digits) or 01152(10digits).    Doesn’t one simply press the green button to answer the phone?

Traveler22

Ok thanks, making notes.

pS your Hairbag name is hilarious!

And another thing....when you dial someone back in Canada make sure to first dial 001...then area code...then number.

eg...001 250 608****

@Traveler22 

good question. Your contact list is still on the phone. No worrys. You won't have any trouble.

They do send a few messages in Spanish so learn how to use Gogle Translate.

@Traveler22 contacts for most people are saved on the phone and not sim.  check it.  

or you can check in contact on iCloud

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/icloud/mmfba73ffb/icloud

Traveler22

Thanks! How do you text someone back in Canada. Is your Contacts list still on your phone with telcel SIM card?

@Traveler22 

as long as your iPhone is unlocked, the Telcel plan will be fine. I've been using the TelCel sim in my iPhone SE for about a week...works fine. Very impressed actualy.

I have the "Unlimited Friends Package" with 3GB of 4G data...about $15 / 30 days.

Traveler22

Hi! I checked the Settings - it is unlocked, thanks so much, I really appreciate it. I may test another SIM card as you suggested as well. Happy New Year! 🎆

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Traveler22  the disclaimer about locked phone should be just a reminder

You can check if your iPhone is unlocked here

Settings > General > About. If "No SIM restrictions" appears next to Carrier Lock, your iPhone is unlocked.

you can also try to get a sim card from another provider and test it on your phone.  If it works, then your phone is unlocked

Need Help? Let's chat.