cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lucky mobile or Virgin

troyfy
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I have been waiting forever for PM to have a migration offer to Koodo! Do you think I should keep waiting or switch to Lucky Mobile and then take Virgin's $40 for 6GB promotion?

22 REPLIES 22

@Spotlight11   share your phone number then  🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Spotlight11 : Nobody will call you. Buying add-ons is a non-intuitive 2 step process. You first deposit money and then you buy the add-on. I suspect you've done step 1.

Spotlight11
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If one of you plebiscite's don't call me or contact me soon RE: My data purchase's I swear to God.... I'm going to Virgin or Lucky.

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@troyfy wrote:

I have been waiting forever for PM to have a migration offer to Koodo! Do you think I should keep waiting or switch to Lucky Mobile and then take Virgin's $40 for 6GB promotion?

Do what is good for you. Community here are Public customers so we can be biased.  We can't predict Koodo offers.  Stay with Public if you like earning rewards.

Karnbot13
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
Virgin has VolLTE. The frequencies are the same and shared between Bell and Telus. If you're here at PM, you don't care about VolLTE, so there is no error. Thanks for coming out.

Anyone who doesn't need VoLTE or VoWiFi doesn't care about the two protocols. LTE and 3G coverage is exactly the same between the networks - so that is the same reception.  Delivery of the products that make calling more available is great (if you have it, and you need it).  For those of us who don't need the enhance calling access, not having it is less work for our devices, and less costly for our service needs.

ShanieBerthelot
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I think you should stay with PM. We get helped by the comunity way better than customer services from other company. 🙂

@Karnbot13 wrote:

@KB1325 wrote:

I find Virgin is really good in reception; and with the $40 for 6GB, that's a good price. 

Virgin and PM share the same Bellus network, reception will be identical

Incorrect Virgin supports VoLTE  and PM does not do it's not the same reception.

Karnbot13

@KB1325 wrote:

I find Virgin is really good in reception; and with the $40 for 6GB, that's a good price. 

Virgin and PM share the same Bellus network, reception will be identical

bridonca

Set up another Lucky Mobile account.  Wait till the Virgin offer you are looking for kicks in, get it, and when you want, ports your Public Mobile number over.  Might cost you around $40 extra, but in the long term, it really will not matter. 

@troyfy wrote:

Well, I like Virgin as I was with them a few years ago. I was hoping Koodo would have a migration offer, to take advantage of the faster data, but I am not sure when they will have a promotion again. I know everyone here is biased, I would just rather get LTE eventually than get a few reward dollars off each month. I thought someone might know a trick or secret deal to migrate to Koodo!

@troyfy  I agree. Virgin competes with Koodo and PM competes with Lucky. Comparing Virgin to PM is not fair because Virgin wins they support VoLTE etc. Comparing Virgin to Koodo is a different story.

As for the Koodo migration offer your guess is a good as anyone else's because I don't think anyone around here really knows. As others have mentioned it's your money so you decide. My understanding is that the migration offers occur because the party that it is offering them need to maintain a certain number of customers for quarterly reporting purposes. Telus & Bell are public companies and shareholders like to see customer numbers being maintained and growing not shrinking so a provider will use migration offers when the flanker brand is growing quickly and the Tier 2 is not. In the end it's all about the numbers.

wywang97

I'm just going to let you know that the difference in 4G vs LTE may seem big in the numbers department, isn't really felt by the average consumer.

Source: I used to network for tech companies.

I'm not too familiar with Virgin, but I know Koodo often has deals for new customers, but they're often for customers who want to purchase a new device.

troyfy

Well, I like Virgin as I was with them a few years ago. I was hoping Koodo would have a migration offer, to take advantage of the faster data, but I am not sure when they will have a promotion again. I know everyone here is biased, I would just rather get LTE eventually than get a few reward dollars off each month. I thought someone might know a trick or secret deal to migrate to Koodo!

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@troyfy wrote:

Agree with others...it's up to you and not for us to decide. Most of us who help out are PM fans and enjoy the savings so you're likely to get a bias towards staying. 

Speaking of which, what are your specific reasons for wanting to leave PM in favour of another carrier? 

The $15 is $13 after autopay reward.  Gets cheaper as you stick around each year for 5 years.

The $10 plan will continue to exist for those currently on it, so no need to move, and it's already $8 after autopay, and also gets cheaper by each year.

Community participation and friend referrals also help reduce cost.

Stay here, unless you really wish to hurt your wallet.

missorange
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

you might get 1.5 GB more by switching, but you also lost the rewards. However, I just saw the post that there will no longer had $10 plan in future, but from I know, Lucky mobile had $10 plan, a lot of people might go with Lucky mobile.

It's the same network, so service received will be the same.  You might get perks on Virgin being a second tier, but same with Koodo here.

Public Mobile pays you to stay here.  My next renewal is almost free.

PMFanatic

Stick with PublicMobile!! Better loyalty rewards over time IMO... Smiley Happy

Anonymous
Not applicable

@troyfy wrote:

You spending your hard earned money is entirely up to you.

Again with these competitor threads...if anywhere they should down in The Lounge. But at least its in Discussions.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@troyfy Isn't that your decision?

KB1325

bravo_md

You'll regret leaving PM!    DON'T DO IT!!!!

Need Help? Let's chat.