cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lucky Mobile Promotion, will PM match it and if so, apply it to existing customers.

mobileuser
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just a heads up.  Lucky Mobile will be running a promotion until the 20th.

+2GB on $40 dollar plans or over.

So, $40 for 7GB.

Lucky Mobile Deal 

It does not indicate that you need to be a new customer, only get a new SIM.
If Public Mobile can match and retain my rewards, I would renew here in a second.   But, as it is, I am tempted due to the unlimited data (albeit throttled) with Lucky Mobile.

Please do the right thing and match + rewards.  Otherwise, why bother offering prepaid plans where there is no contract and then not showing any sort of continued support when promos come out.

33 REPLIES 33

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mobileuser wrote:

So long and thanks for all the fish!

@mobileuser you're one hoopy frood who always knows where his towel is!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@mobileuser wrote:

Rogers, when it first released its LTE, if I recall it was charging higher priced plans to access that.

Whereas Telus and Bell, it was just automatically available.  One thing I cannot fault Telus for is trying to find the ways it can to create its own services that differentiate itself between Telus the parent and the lower flanker brands.

I was not a Rogers customer at the time and so this is not something I noticed.  The differentiation you allude to is a willful attempt to hold back tech advancements for the purpose of directly monetizing the advancements.  As evidenced by history, trying to directly monetize LTE was not enduring.  If this kind of approach really worked well, then Public Mobile would be a total failure and every customer would jump ship to Koodo/Telus. 

Home internet is the same thing.  I know that for cable internet, customer kept on having their speed jacked up as older low speed plans were deprecated and docsis standards updated every few years.  If it made sense to do so, there would still be cable internet customers on 10 Mbit plans on docsis 1 standard. 

mobileuser

Rogers, when it first released its LTE, if I recall it was charging higher priced plans to access that.

Whereas Telus and Bell, it was just automatically available.  One thing I cannot fault Telus for is trying to find the ways it can to create its own services that differentiate itself between Telus the parent and the lower flanker brands.

@AE_Collector wrote:

One of my favourites was someone arguing with me that it costs PM/TELUS nothing to throttle the data to 3G like speed as it is usually LTE thus they should just open it up. True in the most simplistic way of looking at it but not true for long when all Telus and most Koodo customers switch to PM. I prefer that those customers continue paying for network development and expansion on my behalf.

AE_Collector

This area is a bit of a tough call.  From my perspective, Telus tends to go too far on trying to directly monetize new technologies.  As a result, the adoption rate is slowed to the detriment of both sides.  If new technology is rolled out universally, every customers is paying into it so to speak.  VoLTE is a good example.  Due to spotty roll out, most customers still don't have access to the feature because they are not using the short list of carrier branded devices.  By all measures, the approach is not successful and both sides are losers.

marimacas
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Most companies are trying to get new customers with attractive promotions, but I think treating existing customers well is also important for long-term relationships.

One of my favourites was someone arguing with me that it costs PM/TELUS nothing to throttle the data to 3G like speed as it is usually LTE thus they should just open it up. True in the most simplistic way of looking at it but not true for long when all Telus and most Koodo customers switch to PM. I prefer that those customers continue paying for network development and expansion on my behalf.

AE_Collector

@mobileuser wrote:

Wrong demographic.

Now, let's say you're a parent and have set a budget on how much you spend on your kids phones.

- you don't have a home phone

- you work about 40 mins highway driving away from them at any point.

- you don't care about them exceeding a certain amount of data, because that is their problem.

Except you still wish you could "Find your Device/iPhone", or if necessary exchange some sort of data message since SMS is technically a non-guaranteed, best effort delivery system.

This isn't about what my kids want, it's about what I want.  So, their sucky browsing experience is their problem. 

PM/Lucky have really underwhelming over $25 value points (in my opinion).  And now it has been sweetened.

I have been hmmming about that for awhile now but as was pointed out, referrals.  But, $22 a month more for 6GB, and that little piece of my mind.

Also, according to the following RFD thread existing Lucky users can get it.  If anyone here is browsing that is already a LM user:  RFD Thread 

Giving existing customers access to the offer was quite the surprise.  Existing customers are almost always excluded.  Maybe this is the beginning of a new norm. 

@ShawnC13 wrote:

I think the unlimited data is just a gimmick to get people to get into higher data bucket plans.  They get people signing up (on top tier provider) to bigger data buckets 6, 8,10 or higher GB plans.  People using that amount of data won't get by on the reduced speed even though they have the cushion of "unlimited" data and will find that they run out and can't handle the speed but instead of curbing their use the providers hope that they will just up there plan to the next amount of data

Totally agree.  We have a symbiotic relationship with the service provider.  No side is willing to give something for nothing.  The unlimited data marketing scheme is intended to be a hook to get customers into a pattern of using a lot more data than they "normally" would use.  New usage pattern = future revenue opportunity. 

Having said that, it is wrong for any customer to think that it would be great user experience to treat the unlimited usage as equivalent to included data or to treat unlimited overage as the same as truly unlimited data.  If this were the case, then everyone would get the plan with the least amount of included data and live entirely off of the free overage.  This is why I advocate for what I refer to as augmented data.  With proper planning, nobody should need more than say 10% buffer in a high usage month.  So, offering 15% augmented data would essentially be the same as unlimited data.  Putting a limit on augmented data would allow consideration of a slightly higher speed without causing an unintended consequence of customers living off of free overage by design.

I appreciate Public Mobile's apprehension with offering augmented data.  It would be ideal to be able to design a service without interference from outside forces.  It is not possible to completely ignore what the competition is doing, particularly when everyone has jumped onto the bandwagon.  It is never a good situation when you see the competition's license plate from the front windshield. 

@mobileuser 

Please report back with pros and cons! We're all interested.

AE_Collector

mobileuser

So long and thanks for all the fish!

mobileuser

Wrong demographic.

Now, let's say you're a parent and have set a budget on how much you spend on your kids phones.

- you don't have a home phone

- you work about 40 mins highway driving away from them at any point.

- you don't care about them exceeding a certain amount of data, because that is their problem.

Except you still wish you could "Find your Device/iPhone", or if necessary exchange some sort of data message since SMS is technically a non-guaranteed, best effort delivery system.

This isn't about what my kids want, it's about what I want.  So, their sucky browsing experience is their problem. 

PM/Lucky have really underwhelming over $25 value points (in my opinion).  And now it has been sweetened.

I have been hmmming about that for awhile now but as was pointed out, referrals.  But, $22 a month more for 6GB, and that little piece of my mind.

Also, according to the following RFD thread existing Lucky users can get it.  If anyone here is browsing that is already a LM user:  RFD Thread 

I think the unlimited data is just a gimmick to get people to get into higher data bucket plans.  They get people signing up (on top tier provider) to bigger data buckets 6, 8,10 or higher GB plans.  People using that amount of data won't get by on the reduced speed even though they have the cushion of "unlimited" data and will find that they run out and can't handle the speed but instead of curbing their use the providers hope that they will just up there plan to the next amount of data

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

I'm thinking lots of time outs with nothing loading. 

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector wrote:

@CannonFodder wrote:

Yeah, web browsing at 128Kbps.... EEEEEEW, no thanks! I sort of remember what web browsing was like when using our 56K  dialup modem.... only ever go back to THAT, if it was ABSOLUTELY necessary.

And web pages were optimized for 56K viewing then! Now they aren't.

Yeah, I was thinking that when I typed it.... can you imagine trying to check out a web page that's absolutely LOADED with graphics, while on 128k! 👎🏻 

@CannonFodder wrote:

Yeah, web browsing at 128Kbps.... EEEEEEW, no thanks! I sort of remember what web browsing was like when using our 56K  dialup modem.... only ever go back to THAT, if it was ABSOLUTELY necessary.

And web pages were optimized for 56K viewing then! Now they aren't.

AE_Collector

mimmo

@CannonFodder of you have the correct plan then you will never use 128

KBS. But if you run out  at least you can limp to renewal. At pm it just stops. Your call which is better.

@mobileuser wrote:

128Kbps, so basically enough for messaging, email without attachments and "Oh m'gwerd!" Web browsing.

mobileuser

128Kbps, so basically enough for messaging, email without attachments and "Oh m'gwerd!" Web browsing.

What speed is Lucky providing data at once you are into the throttled unlimited territory? The big guys are all 512Kb I assume? I recall TELUS launches at 256 but believe they bumped to 512 either to meet one of their other competitors or to push ahead. 

I have no interest in switching as I "allowed myself" to come to PM (career long BCTel/TELUS employee who remains loyal to them even though we had our differences of opinion over the years) as it is still under TELUS. 

AE_Collector

mimmo

@Usernametaken wrote:

Loyalty or No loyalty when your data hovers around 5gb's.  Staying at the $40 mark for 7gb is huge.  Not to mention if you stream heavily for one month and need a couple extra days of data the unlimited for WhatsApp, email and maps is huuuggggeeeee.

Then it's a great opportunity to switch.

Usernametaken
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Loyalty or No loyalty when your data hovers around 5gb's.  Staying at the $40 mark for 7gb is huge.  Not to mention if you stream heavily for one month and need a couple extra days of data the unlimited for WhatsApp, email and maps is huuuggggeeeee.

mimmo

@mobileuser the biggest thing pm has done to prevent churn is it's rewards system which no other provider has. A couple referrals, autopay, comunity, and loyalty easily equal $8+/30 days.

mobileuser

To be clear, my do the right thing comment was about if they match, apply the promo to the extended user base and allow us to keep the rewards.

If they don't then there is less incentive for me to move from the $25 to the $40 here, than there is from $25 to $40 in the same foot print, plus unlimited data (again, throttled further after the allotment).  It is unlimited minutes in both scenarios.

Incentive for new customers, sure, incentive to prevent churn, maybe that is not as interesting to them.   With that said, I know of the promo, so I need to reach out to my referred friends anyways, because that is my personality to help them also get better value.

Dolphin1

@CannonFodder wrote:

@AE_Collector wrote:

Just looked at the Lucky Mobile plans. They look awful familiar except...their $15 plan looks to be 100 minutes in/out, not unlimited incoming like PM?

That's exactly what it is, which is the main reason I'm here, and after I arrived, I found out about PM's $5/500min. add-on, which rolls over until completely used, which makes it even better than Lucky's $15 plan, which has "Service Passes", which expire at the end of 30 days.

Having the roll over until used is a great benefit.  Most other companies expire after 30 days.  This feature is an excellent one to have - great job PM !

Tony_Xu

I guess there would be a fight between Public Mobile and Lucky Moobile to keep or attract customers.

pmmobile

@mobileuser  Wow that sounds like a great offer! PM had $40 6GB promo back in Dec, but of course no unlimited throttled data

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I certainly hope that Public Mobile will take notice and provide some sort of competitive response.  These deals are always for new activations which can't really excite the long termers here.  We can only possibly get the side affects; referral opportunity.

Shutdown

Fyi you have to do in-store activation to get this promo can't activate yourself online.

@AE_Collector wrote:

Just looked at the Lucky Mobile plans. They look awful familiar except...their $15 plan looks to be 100 minutes in/out, not unlimited incoming like PM?

That's exactly what it is, which is the main reason I'm here, and after I arrived, I found out about PM's $5/500min. add-on, which rolls over until completely used, which makes it even better than Lucky's $15 plan, which has "Service Passes", which expire at the end of 30 days.

Usernametaken
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just joined on Thursday and I'll be jumping ship. Love the PM concept but an extra 2gb and unlimited throttled data seems like a solid deal. 

Need Help? Let's chat.