cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Koodo seems to be getting better rates than Public Mobile. Are 3rd tier carriers on the way out?

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It seems that lately, most of the best deals have been coming way of the 2nd tier companies, such as Koodo, Fido, Virgin Mobile. Ever since Public Mobile moved away from Canada wide calling to provincial calling, the honest truth is that new subscribers will get more for less on those 2nd tier carriers. Just today, I noticed that BestBuy is having an offer on a bring your own plan on any of the 2nd tier carriers for $40/10GB/unlimited Canada calls per month. Compare that to Public Mobile which offers 5GB for the same $40...but also limits the speed to 3 Mbps. It's seems more and more like the carriers are putting less focus on the 3rd tier brands, and I get the feeling that at some point down the road they will shutter them down. If they are to remain around in the long term, the carriers are going to have to bring another approach to table. Maybe the 3rd tiers will focus on basic calls and text only, or maybe they will offer plans that stray away from being monthly, and offer daily, weekly, or yearly plans. Either way, I don't see the status quo working for Public Mobile, Chatr, or Lucky.

11 REPLIES 11

yiruiruan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It's not Just Koodo. Rogers has some pretty amazing deals too. I have gotten offers for $45/20GB a month if I switch back to Rogers. I declined as I don't need data during covid really. Rogers said its plan would last till end of May but it's only SELECTED customers. I am in ONTARIO just for the reference. Thus Rogers does offer much better deals if you need lots of data. PM is mostly better for entry level plans with a little bit of data 1GB as you can get ur plan down to around $20 for that with rewards. If you are a heavy data user, maybe keep your options open.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Nezgar wrote:

MVNO is technically an initialism, not an acronym, since it's not pronounced as a word, instead each letter is recited. 🤓

Hmm...well I guess you ("I") learn something new everyday!  😊

MVNO is technically an initialism, not an acronym, since it's not pronounced as a word, instead each letter is recited. 🤓

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@darlicious wrote:

@CFPartDeux 

Oh come on... you pick up on the one time @BearFBI messes up on NVMO/MVNO? Yet you have never commented on numerous Mabey's?😁

Re-read what I said above..... besides, a "mabey" is a simple typo, whereas the other typo kind of changes the meaning of the acronym. 😜

@CFPartDeux 

Oh come on... you pick up on the one time @BearFBI messes up on NVMO/MVNO? Yet you have never commented on numerous Mabey's?😁

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

EDIT: looks Like Fido and Rogers don't offer an equivalent to the Call Control feature yet.  I think it's of more value to me than VoLTE would be, so I guess for now I stick with the status quo.

Call Control is the best feature Telus offers. I've pretty much dropped off the face of the earth as far as scammer callers are concerned now.

@WoozyPolarBear yes, same here.  I don't think I can move on until Robbers brings the feature to Fido.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@srlawren wrote:

@WoozyPolarBear nice find on that Best Buy deal.  Looks like it's today only.  I'm considering abandoning my Koodo plan to move to Fido, since it's essentially the same plan (I've got a 6GB/40 plan with a free 5GB monthly booster added a few months ago) except that Fido would let me use VoLTE with my not-on-our-list-so-too-bad-for-you-says-Koodo phone.  Hmmmmmm.

EDIT: looks Like Fido and Rogers don't offer an equivalent to the Call Control feature yet.  I think it's of more value to me than VoLTE would be, so I guess for now I stick with the status quo.

Call Control is the best feature Telus offers. I've pretty much dropped off the face of the earth as far as scammer callers are concerned now.

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@CFPartDeux Whoops. I knew that lol. I just type too fast.

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@BearFBI wrote:

These cheap prices make me wonder. What could the wholesale rates look in the future ? If NVMO's really want to compete here how are they even going to compete with big carriers offering 40$/10GB plans like you mentioned.

Just a heads-up, since I've seen you post this a couple times.... it's MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator). 😁

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@WoozyPolarBear nice find on that Best Buy deal.  Looks like it's today only.  I'm considering abandoning my Koodo plan to move to Fido, since it's essentially the same plan (I've got a 6GB/40 plan with a free 5GB monthly booster added a few months ago) except that Fido would let me use VoLTE with my not-on-our-list-so-too-bad-for-you-says-Koodo phone.  Hmmmmmm.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@WoozyPolarBear Ive been saying this for the past month. Other carriers are doing better. Everyone comes back saying "but rewards". Yes rewards are great but when there are carriers that are offering the SAME plan price that your paying WITH rewards then there not that great anymore. Rewards take so much time to build up you might as well go get a second job and earn more money. Sure they can help to save a few bucks but thats it. People dont like working so hard to buildup rewards to save just a few dollars on the most stripped down carrier of all. Sure I'm fine with Public but there are a few things that I just wish I had.

Big carriers dont really want to offer cheaper plans than they are already offering here so I guess well either get shutdown in the future or just be known as the carrier with bad plans.

These cheap prices make me wonder. What could the wholesale rates look in the future ? If NVMO's really want to compete here how are they even going to compete with big carriers offering 40$/10GB plans like you mentioned. I think I can see 4G data going down to just a few bucks soon. Who knows. 

Mabey PM will lower prices soon once they figure out what to do with us and who to compete with. You never know, They could be planning something right now. 

Need Help? Let's chat.