cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
will13am
Oracle

Re: Koodo Home Phone 5$ now ?

Lol, the SIMs for the wireless home phone is device locked.  If not, everyone would be getting $5 Canada wide calling plans.  Bell does the same thing with tablet data plans.  

Luddite
Oracle

@BearFBI wrote:

@z10user4 Interesting.... Usually the SIM lock would be on the phone. Not the actual SIM card. I wonder how they did that. Darn.

@BearFBI Pretty sure SIM lock codes are on the SIM itself. The PM SIM PIN is required in order to create a personal unlock code for a SIM.

Problems begin when you enter the SIM PIN incorrectly 3 times which locks the SIM (not your phone) until you get the PUK code from the carrier.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. Je ne suis pas un moderateur.
Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@Luddite wrote:

If you really want $5 home phone look at Fongo home phone, and only $29 for the converter. https://www.fongo.com/#homephone

I can second this... I had Rogers Wireless Home phone service (equivalent to Koodo's) and I can say that the audio quality from the Fongo home phone (VoIP + ATA) was much better, just as good as a real POTS line (uncompressed G.711) and now also includes canada-wide calling (to provinces) too. This would be a good "backup" line for better quality when at home, and for long-distance calls now that province-wide plans are becoming a thing at PM again. Fongo home phone also lets you setup additional numbers for "simultaneous ring" such as your mobile number.

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Nezgar wrote:

@Luddite wrote:

If you really want $5 home phone look at Fongo home phone, and only $29 for the converter. https://www.fongo.com/#homephone

I can second this... I had Rogers Wireless Home phone service (equivalent to Koodo's) and I can say that the audio quality from the Fongo home phone (VoIP + ATA) was much better, just as good as a real POTS line (uncompressed G.711) and now also includes canada-wide calling (to provinces) too. This would be a good "backup" line for better quality when at home, and for long-distance calls now that province-wide plans are becoming a thing at PM again. Fongo home phone also lets you setup additional numbers for "simultaneous ring" such as your mobile number.

I mean if your looking for a home phone im sure fongo is great. ive heard many good things about fongo. i made this thread because i was interested in the SIM part of it and that you man be able to use it in a cell phone (turns out you cant).

For home phone fongo is great but its BIGGEST downside is the ATA adapter isint configurable. it comes pre configured and locked to their settings. Freephoneline.ca fixes that but you have to pay a hefty upfront cost to get acsess and its sorta a gamble.

911 calling is a whole other discussion too.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@BearFBI wrote:

I mean if your looking for a home phone I'm sure Fongo is great. I've heard many good things about Fongo. i made this thread because i was interested in the SIM part of it and that you man be able to use it in a cell phone (turns out you cant).

All true... Although the adapter is still kind of "fun" to play with afterwards to put in another unlocked SIM into once you unlock the adapter itself... I have leftover adapters from Rogers & Koodoo myself that I've unlocked...

For home phone Fongo is great but its BIGGEST downside is the ATA adapter isnt configurable. it comes pre configured and locked to their settings. freephoneline.ca fixes that but you have to pay a hefty upfront cost to get assess and its sorta a gamble.

I agree - Initially I appreciated getting a preconfigured device due to my limited VoIP experience at the time. This "managed" configuration is perfect for most non-technical folks. Though eventually quirks like they could never get the setting for Saskatchewan's time zone to stick and most incoming calls had no caller ID name display and the features of voip.ms drove the techie in me to figure out how to do it myself...

Fongo's adapter is not really locked well... I was able to simply factory reset their ATA while not connected to the Internet, and erased the provisioning server URL. Then I proceeded to set it up to connect to voip.ms instead. Now I get correct caller ID timestamps and name display, and of course all the other goodies DIY techies like about voip.ms...

softech

I am using Freephoneline.com, Fongo parent company, with my own ATA adapter.. there is some work to setup the adaptor but then it's free (only one time setup free + the ATA hardware cost)

Fongo/Freephoneline at home is working quiet well, i have been using it a lot for meetings as I have been working from home..

on the other hand Fongo Mobile app is terrible.. quiet often people not hearing me ... or they call me and it goes to voicemail without even a ring.  😞

BearFBI

@Nezgar wrote:

the features of voip.ms drove the techie in me to figure out how to do it myself...

Voip.ms is really fun to mess around with. I remember a while ago I was into VOIP and i was trying to find a home phone alternative for my parents. I was considering either going with Fongo or Voip.ms but i just made the decision that they should get a cell phone. 

I might consider getting a friend of mine setup with fongo home phone though. Ive done a lot of research a long time ago so I know all about fongo.

Need Help? Let's chat.