cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just out of curiosity, what is people's take on the Rogers/Shaw Merger, and what of Freedom Mobile?

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

This being of course a nail-biting time, wondering, is this a bad idea, or what?

Also, Freedom Mobile, Should Rogers be compelled to relinquish FM to another Buyer?

Like, Videotron

Also, what about the Mobile Virtual Network Provider thing?

Should CRTC, Comp Bureau, CCRC make this a rule?

Personally, I think that ALL should be implemented as we pay too high a fee, need relief, hoping that FM is NOT in Rogers's Hands as that would be the end of 4th Player, Plus, allowing MVNP to compete would hopefully keep fees in check

Also, what about the Spectrum that is going on sale?

Hoping MORE players will participate, as the BIG 3 needs to learn how to share and I just think that they need to be open as it's now more important than ever.

Also, the Fed Gov also needs to consider allowing some Foreign entities to establish in Canada some New Wireless/Telecom Co. to be able to give Canadiens a wider ranger of choices as the costs Canadiens are paying currently would reach a point one day where it would be a Luxury to have anything, and I just hope that the Big 3 are willing to atleast understand that there's Plenty of room for more.

4th Player in my opinion is not enough

Perhaps 6-8 Players per region would shock the industry into competition mode

What's your take?

9 REPLIES 9

For the corps it's about greed. For the govs it's about greed and control. For both it's a vested interest in maintaining status quo, keeping the market protected by keeping disruptive competitors (and foreign competitors) locked out.

The Canadian government has traditionally maintained a lot of control over Canadian communications and media. It used to be about ensuring integrity of communications for things like critical services, emergency response, military, police, intelligence, etc - not quite as bad as the tinfoil hats believe, but also a lot more invasive than most people would find comfortable.

I think now it's about keeping a fist-in-a-cookie-jar grip onto something they won't relinquish because it has amazing potential value for the future. The government realizes that (through regulation) they can effectively collect taxes on this amazing potential. Mobility is worth millions billions today and it keeps growing ... the Canadian government wants to be able to take a share of that big money, and the fewer players the bigger each share will be.

@Meow 

Lol....that's one if my favourites too....you could compare a community member to each character. I am of course Lenina Huxley....

@darlicious wrote:

@Meow 

You mean like TACO BELL in Demolition Man?

I LOVE that movie! Most popular hit-song is actually idiotic ad for beans or something!? Green giant??? Cannot remember, did not watch it for a while...

@Meow 

You mean like TACO BELL in Demolition Man?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@WoozyPolarBear : You and @TheGx might become fast friends 🙂 I'm with ya...just not maybe quite as extreme. 🙂

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Meow wrote:

Long time ago, taxi driver who had little company here in Canada, told me that 'big guys' will either buy you or destroy you. It is all about GREED!!! like you can take all that money with you when you go to meet your maker...

Eventually in a few hundred years there will be only ONE company owning everybody else. Go see what Canadian Tire owns as example...

It's not companies who own you...it's the illegal government that owns people today. In a lot less time than 100's of years (practically already right now) corporations and government will be one and the same. 

Long time ago, taxi driver who had little company here in Canada, told me that 'big guys' will either buy you or destroy you. It is all about GREED!!! like you can take all that money with you when you go to meet your maker...

Eventually in a few hundred years there will be only ONE company owning everybody else. Go see what Canadian Tire owns as example...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well talked about in the lounge since that announcement.

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I personally don't trust politicians, nor do I think they ever consider the best needs of the citizens in their decision making. I personally consider all politicians as the most corrupt criminals in existence. This merger WILL go through, as the MP's have already likely received their cut via bitcoin transfers from Rogers.

Need Help? Let's chat.