cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think we all see this coming for some time now...

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

... and. I'll be honest here, as much as everyone is used to just making pressure and lobbying our politicians I think the best way of action is to figure out how to really come on top with this, how to make profit... You know you can't keep then out forever better have plan how not be in position to join them but maybe have them join you.

I don't know I'm not smart enough for any of this but I looked closely how badly tobacco company handled ecigs. I believe they spent way more money on demonization than was necessary and still didn't manage holds up. Even if you truly believed everything that came out of their mouth at the end of the day when you realise that ecig industry vs tobacco industry is really lemonade stand industry vs food industry and your perspective just resets.

Anyhoooo I already noticed that fongo already does offer sim cards, and since I noticed it I've been checking TextNow.Screenshot_20200221-225943~2.png

Anyways I was always gladly suggesting to everyone TextNow, not affiliated by any means, just very impressed with the service for the price as well as the fact that it actually ended up being Canadian company too my surprise. I would be very interested in getting their sim card, but I know it's not going to affect even one of the sims at home. But I can see couple off phones with double sim having something there

It is very very VERY different service and (not if but) when they come I know that roaming packages around here will have to change, our add-ons will probably go down too. There will be a hit, no question about it... I hope telus takes a good position to minimize it. And yes the big 3 will be screaming and rolling on the floor just like every soccer game you ever saw, it's expected (at least from the shareholders)

What I hope doesn't happen is that public mobile doesn't get downgraded to WiFi service, now when every one thinks once 5g hits it may go back to 4g.

I would much rather see Telus have 4 tier entity or even team up with somebody. I hope they are preparing for it. 

Have a read when you have a minute https://business.financialpost.com/telecom/telus-ceo-threatens-5000-job-cuts-if-forced-to-sell-acces... 

2 REPLIES 2

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The job cut is an idle threat, unless Telus wants to fold up the tent and move on.  If I were to read deeper into the article, Telus is saying we have a lot of bloat in the company and if we cannot maintain current pricing, we will have no choice but to trim the fat in order to compete and hold onto our market share.  As long as the dividend is not threatened, then all is good. 

Edit:. The feds have made it official.  The two year clock is ticking.  Interestingly the 3G plans here meet criteria already.  I sense the government is focusing on the tier 1 brands.  Trickle down economics should yield even cheaper prices for the tier 3 market.  Or it could backfire and lower tier brands could be rolled up to augment income.  

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/wireless-cellphone-fees-1.5484080

Korth
Mayor / Maire

I'm a little confused here.

Fongo is an app or Fongo Mobile is a SIM?

Fongo is mobile VoIP - you get a local phone number, unlimited Canada-wide (or Global) messaging - calling and "World Plan" long-distance, etc. So Fongo is an MVNO?

Fongo seems pretty good (or at least pretty cheap) and it is oft-praised by many folks. But I gotta say I'm unimpressed by all their dirty little nickle-and-dime surcharges (optional one-time fee of $6.99 to disable ads, $25 to port an existing number, etc).

Need Help? Let's chat.