cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need to ask this question, IMPORTANT as I am not sure on this

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

Let's say one bought a Sim from Travelsim, and purchased a Local Calling Card from a Country like Taiwan or Vietnam and used it to call back to Canada using the Travelsim will that normally count on the Airtime of Travelsim Balance?

The Travelsim Rep can't seem to understand and this is quite awkward to ask as it is no easy to explain

12 REPLIES 12

Just wondering, E-Sim, is that ALMOST Like CDMA, BUT Using an Sim card-like bases, BUT no Physical Sim in practice?

@mimmo , Roam Mobility is ONLY for US unfortunately.

The other options, Fongo, more like Frankenstein meets the Wires, not as clean cut or straight forward, BUT appears that no matter what method, very messy. But, Possibly ONLY Option

Anonymous
Not applicable

@makkahn28 wrote:

Let's say one bought a Sim from Travelsim, and purchased a Local Calling Card from a Country like Taiwan or Vietnam and used it to call back to Canada using the Travelsim will that normally count on the Airtime of Travelsim Balance?

The Travelsim Rep can't seem to understand and this is quite awkward to ask as it is no easy to explain

I think it's kinda obvious. It's two different services. We can do the same thing here. Have a phone service of whatever nature. Buy a calling card. Use the phone service to call the calling card access number and then following the instructions to call somewhere via the calling card.

That will all take calling time from the phone service. Whether pay phone or land line or cell. THEN it's up to the phone service to provide the initial call. Whether it's "toll free" to call the calling card or just a "local" call is up to that service to charge whatever or not.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@makkahn28 @Have you looked at sim2fly

You could also buy a chatr sim for 30 days they have international roaming.

Also roam mobility

If she has data or even just wifi there is skype what's app and fongo

Vacation from April 2nd or 3rd to April 23rd or 24th

That would be a lot of Sims and different Phone #'s to deal with

@mimmo , she's going to 4 Countries

Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore and Vietnam

mimmo

@makkahn28  @Why not just buy a local Taiwanese sim card when she gets there.

I need to ask, as Travelsim's fee for their Data is INSANE Expensive, Zone B for 1GB is $69 for 30 days

Do you know ANY Sim Provider that is cheaper than Travelsim's?

Their Zone A 1GB is $19 for 30 days

IF PM actually had Global Roaming, example, would the Price for the Data really be that insane?

@makkahn28 wrote:

@computergeek541 , yes I am aware of the fee to call and such.

My Mother asked me to find out whether IF buying a Local Calling Card from Taiwan, example, if by dialing the Unique # and then the Country Code of Canada while using the Travelsim Card itself, would that use ANY of the Airtime Balance I have on my Travelsim Account.

Also, the price for the Calling I won't deny is incredibly pricy.

Had hoped that the Local Sim would be cheaper option, But it appears it might not be.

So your mom wants to prepay for long distance minutes by purchasing that calling card?  it would be billed as a call to whatever country/city/area that access number is in. The long distance back to Canada is paid to the calling card company.  Is that what you are asking?

@computergeek541 , yes I am aware of the fee to call and such.

My Mother asked me to find out whether IF buying a Local Calling Card from Taiwan, example, if by dialing the Unique # and then the Country Code of Canada while using the Travelsim Card itself, would that use ANY of the Airtime Balance I have on my Travelsim Account.

Also, the price for the Calling I won't deny is incredibly pricy.

Had hoped that the Local Sim would be cheaper option, But it appears it might not be.

@makkahn28 wrote:

I've never used Travelsim, but I did find the website, and in the example of calling from Vietnam to Canada, it looks like it costs $0.77 (canadian dollars) per minute to make that call.

https://travelsim.com/rates/

srlawren

@makkahn28 wrote:

@makkahn28 I'm not totally sure I understand the question either.  You're saying you've got an international sim from Travelsim, and you're travelling to a country overseas and using a calling card from there to call Canada?  Oh wait I do understand your question.  If you're using a calling card with a local access number in the country you're visiting then then to Travelsim it should look like a local call.  It would count against whatever local airtime Travelsim gives you in your plan.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Need Help? Let's chat.