cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I’m switching my plan!

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

So, this is totally related to Public Mobile, but it’s a sad post for humour reactions.

I am now about 26.5 hours away from my plan switching from the amazing Fall 2016 Promo for $120/90-days, to the build your own $50 Unlimited Canada and US calling, International SMS and MMS, and 8 GB of 3G speed data, 30-day plan.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks to 2 $25 friend referrals this week, my available balance is above the plan cost of $50, I had loaded a $1 payment a few weeks ago, and I’m sitting on $27 of rewards yet to be made available.

Question for the masses, should I be worried about renewal failing, or am I in a good place for this to work?  I can force the renewal as I already have the required balance, but you know the errors that have been happening.

13 REPLIES 13

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@will13am wrote:

Why would you feel left out?  As you can see, there are many 2016 fall promo customers still hanging on to the same plan in spite of many attempts to lure us over to Koodo or a different plan on this service.  @srlawren is an example,

Me too, me too. Still hanging on to that Fall promo.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@will13am wrote:

@srlawrenis an example, he let temptation get the better of him.  I am sure 20/20 hindsight is telling him that he should have waited until the $40/8GB offer with $180 bill credit.  Smiley Happy

@will13am to be completely honest, I have no regrets on taking the offer I took.  Yes it would have been nice to get a better offer, but I never go anywhere near the 6GB included, and I still got $100 bill credit plus there was a $100 referral credit special at the time.  I have access to Easy Roam which is still better suited to visiting the USA for a day or two (my most frequent pattern by far) vs. the PM add-ons (for my usage--all 3 services pretty much required), plus I could use it internationally if desired.  And, to be honest again, Koodo's [post-paid, since pre-paid is sahred system with PM] system seems much more stable and reliable in terms of payments, renewals without issues [not that I had any personally, but we sure see a lot of them here] and other technical glitches.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@stonechucker wrote:

@mimmo, I dream of using all my data in a cycle, but I rarely use half.  I only use Provincial calling, only txt within my Province, and rarely use the LD addon.  I have only used 23 minutes of 200, in about 2.5 years.

This is a rare renewal this time around, as I have $41 in rewards, $50 in friend referral bonuses.  So I’m only paying a small amount for 90 days.  I’d prefer a 30 day cycle, but if I’m going to do that, really the only smart choices would be the 5GB for $40 (same cost, more data, calling, less speed) or a 2 or 3 GB LTE plan, with the same talk and txt, for inflated prices.

As @ShawnC13 mentioned, I will just top up part way through cycles to put money on the plan.  I really don’t expect to take any Koodo offers, but if something came out that would suit my desire better, I will switch then.

i just feel left out as the best deal ever is the one I’m already on.  It’s boring waiting for a better deal to come, when I know Telus is going to raise my price in the future.  I do not expect the same result of the last attempt to happen again.

Why would you feel left out?  As you can see, there are many 2016 fall promo customers still hanging on to the same plan in spite of many attempts to lure us over to Koodo or a different plan on this service.  @srlawren is an example, he let temptation get the better of him.  I am sure 20/20 hindsight is telling him that he should have waited until the $40/8GB offer with $180 bill credit.  Smiley Happy

srlawren

@stonechucker yeah I think they will handle the next attempted $ bump for fall promo holders a lot more carefully than the first time.  However, I think you should just keep enjoying it for the forseeable future.  Making manual top-ups in a timeframe that suits you better seems like a great compromise where you don't have to give up your faster data or pay any extra in exchange for things you don't need (Can-wide, more data).  Win-Win.  Boring, but it works for ya.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@mimmo, I dream of using all my data in a cycle, but I rarely use half.  I only use Provincial calling, only txt within my Province, and rarely use the LD addon.  I have only used 23 minutes of 200, in about 2.5 years.

This is a rare renewal this time around, as I have $41 in rewards, $50 in friend referral bonuses.  So I’m only paying a small amount for 90 days.  I’d prefer a 30 day cycle, but if I’m going to do that, really the only smart choices would be the 5GB for $40 (same cost, more data, calling, less speed) or a 2 or 3 GB LTE plan, with the same talk and txt, for inflated prices.

As @ShawnC13 mentioned, I will just top up part way through cycles to put money on the plan.  I really don’t expect to take any Koodo offers, but if something came out that would suit my desire better, I will switch then.

i just feel left out as the best deal ever is the one I’m already on.  It’s boring waiting for a better deal to come, when I know Telus is going to raise my price in the future.  I do not expect the same result of the last attempt to happen again.

mimmo

@stonechucker the only reason I would leave the fall promo is if you need more data or if you plan to migrate the Koodo.  Then having a 90 day plan can be problematic.

I would opt to pay less than more.  Do you use the  $120 /,year in additional costs (provincial calling vs Canada/USA or 8gb vs 4?)

@stonechucker wrote:

@ShawnC13, ok, I see your point.   This works out nice this time.  $28 AutoPay with my new referrals, and other rewards.  Cheapest one yet!

The arithmetic should be the same whether you pay every 30 days or 90 days, unless there is something new that I am not aware of.  If you are heavily reliant on referrals, there is a chance that some leave before 90 days, but may have stayed 30 days.  Apart from that I don't see any monetary disadvantages of the 90 option over 30 for the same plan fee. 

@ShawnC13, ok, I see your point.   This works out nice this time.  $28 AutoPay with my new referrals, and other rewards.  Cheapest one yet!

@stonechucker wrote:

@srlawren, I posted here because I didn’t want my post to be counted towards community awards.  I’ve been flip flopping for months on doing this, and I keep pulling the plug.

@will13am, I want to keep the plan, but I want a monthly payment.  I’m still considering the 5 for $40, which would suit my needs, but who knows.

@stonechucker, Why not just make a payment every month on your current plan and have it sit in available funds.  Sure it isn't in your bank for you to use but it would be gone if you were on a 30 day plan as well.  You keep full LTE speed and you say you don't need the data and that 4GB is enough and this still gives you the flexibility of data over 90 days.  I think PM would have to pay me to move away from this plan or at least provide something better at the same price

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@stonechucker wrote:

@srlawren, I posted here because I didn’t want my post to be counted towards community awards.  I’ve been flip flopping for months on doing this, and I keep pulling the plug.

@will13am, I want to keep the plan, but I want a monthly payment.  I’m still considering the 5 for $40, which would suit my needs, but who knows.

If you are going to switch because you want 30 day payment instead of every 90 days, then the comparable is the $40/5GB plan.  That comes with Canada wide calling also.  Unless you need the extra data which I assume not, it is a waste of $10 per 30 days.  Even if you have peaks and valleys on data usage, 5GB is a good 25% increase over the 4GB per 30 day average for the 2016 fall promo.  I hope you have cold feet yet again.  The fall promo club needs you. 

srlawren

@stonechucker finally taking the plunge, eh??

I'm not sure why you posted this in the lounge, it's totally on-topic.  If you do run into issues during the renewal, you might need to try the lost/found trick to reactivate. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Don't do it!  Never leave the ubiquitous fall promo!  I thought you are not a heavy user and so the extra data may just go to waste.  As for long distance, unless you are really chatty, the extra $10 per month buys a lot of minutes. 

Going back on topic, I did a plan change on next renewal recently and it worked as advertised.  You should not expect any surprises. 

Need Help? Let's chat.