cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm saving on my mobile plan, but my home internet plan is killing me

DryWater
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I've always been on the mid-high teir internet plans, which have never cost more than $100 all in. I'm currently with Rogers 1 Gigabit plan and paying $45 until July so I've been looking around to see what else is available. 

It seems like even the most basic internet is $50-70 and that's if I don't mind never watching 4k content again. 

Did all the ISP's decide to double prices or something?

I need 500mb minimum with unlimited data (we have multiple streamers, VOIP, home security with realtime uploads to the cloud, etc). I own my own cable modem but if one is provided in a plan, I'll use it. My router is high end, so I only use the modem portion of the hardware anyway. 

What deals are out there? 

12 REPLIES 12

DryWater

@fdrcamb519 Unfortunately, 75 is to slow for my needs, although paying under $50 is nice! 

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@DryWater 

@DryWater wrote:

I've always been on the mid-high teir internet plans, which have never cost more than $100 all in. I'm currently with Rogers 1 Gigabit plan and paying $45 until July so I've been looking around to see what else is available. 

It seems like even the most basic internet is $50-70 and that's if I don't mind never watching 4k content again. 

Did all the ISP's decide to double prices or something?

I need 500mb minimum with unlimited data (we have multiple streamers, VOIP, home security with realtime uploads to the cloud, etc). I own my own cable modem but if one is provided in a plan, I'll use it. My router is high end, so I only use the modem portion of the hardware anyway. 

What deals are out there? 

I have an awsome deal i'm paying 39.99 with tax 45 month for 75mb down 10 mb upload. unlimited. cable service. works great.

DryWater

@BearFBI I may try that. I'll find a few options leading up to that date so I have an easy exit if they won't budge. Thank you both for all your help! 

BearFBI

@DryWater Yes @Luddite means to wait until your promo price ends and your price increases to the original pricing. Then call rogers to ask for a loyalty plan.

DryWater

@Luddite Hey, when you say wait for the "new price", do you mean after my promo price expires or after a new, planned price comes up from Rogers? I still have time (promo price expires end of July) so I can wait! 

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@DryWater You need to wait until your new price shows up on your Rogers account. About 1 week into the new rate, call them and ask for the best retention deal available. It's the only way to get the "best" offer. 

My $45 special ran out a month ago and I accepted $50 plus tax for the next 12 months; I'm in Ontario.

Good luck.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

BearFBI

@DryWater This provider is also good. https://www.coextro.com/ The only problem is you need fiber in your area. You can also try this provider https://www.distributel.ca/ They have the same slogan as PM. "Were for you" Lol

BearFBI

@DryWater Try This website https://www.comparemyrates.ca/ But first argue with rogers. Just keep making calls and if you didn't get what you wanted call again.  I personally still would stick to a 150 Download plan if a 300 plan is more expansive. 150 can still stream easy 4k and handle heavy traffic. 

DryWater

@BearFBI I've tried Rogers to see if they have a retention promo and they were unhelpful. Bell will be my next call, but I would love to just be on a plan that's fair and not rely on promos so much (or else it's save now, pay later!). 

500 would be ideal, but even 300 with 15+ upload would be OK. Cost doesn't change much between plans, so you're almost forced to get a better plan or you feel cheated out! LOL 

My brother uses Synology and can't say enough about it. I may go that route at some point. I do have a windows PC set up like a home server that hosts my photos and network stuff, but it's not nearly as powerful as a Synology setup.

I appreciate all the input. Now to find a plan 🙂  

BearFBI

@DryWater Wow. I see. The 150 Plan still should be fine but just in case probably a 300 plan would suite your needs better. I find on 150 Download with 5 people streaming 4k in the house its fine. I am with Vianet witch is a local service. They have the same prices as Eastlink. I pay 80$ a month no promo. Your promo for gigabit with rogers is insane. I would try to call them. Call them and try to make a deal with them. And if they wont let you keep your promo ask them if you can switch to a lower 300 download plan with a promo. But before you switch to anything lower I would switch to POE cameras with a local NVR to relive stress of your internet network. I recommend a Synology NAS. Surveillance station licenses are extremely expensive but its worth it for how feature rich the software is. Upgrading your router was definitely a big step and improvement. your local network dosent seem to be a bottleneck. Also keep in mind that your IP cams are using  upload so higher download speeds are useless. 150 Download is safe for all those 4k streams. I'm gonna look at some providers in your area rn. 

DryWater

@BearFBI Living in Durham Region, Ontario. Paying $45 + tax for the 1 gigabit plan from Rogers, but that will go up to over $115 when my promo plan ends. The 75u plan is $85 (!!!) a month... it's crazy!

We have four adults and a teen living at home and there is often 2-3 screens playing HD/4k video steaming + gaming. With slower speeds, the bottleneck gets bad, which is why I've needed to get a high-end router to manage some of the flow with QoS, but that was before the cameras.

We've currently have 9 HD/2k wifi cameras with 7 uploading to the cloud when triggered. They have not been problematic with my current plan, but I can only imagine they will bottleneck things at a much lower plan (upload rates with Rogers sucks even with my plan).  The plan, once COVID-19 stuff is done, is to have my 8 camera POE security system + NVR hooked up so video can be stored to the internal HD and uploaded overnight if needed, but until then (and even maybe after), I'll continue to use the wifi cameras because they offer a more user-friendly experience. 

If slower speeds are sufficient, then I really don't care either way, but paying the same or more for a plan that offers a fraction of my current speeds would be a maddening thought 😞 

How much are you paying for the 150 plan? With who?

BearFBI

@DryWater Where are you located ? How much do you pay a month at the moment? You really dont need 500 Download. Believe me. VoIP can run on dial up internet and for HD voice probably around 5 Download. Home security systems dont need 500 Download either to upload to the cloud. I have a VoIP phone, a home security system, and I stream IPTV on 3 different TV's in the house. Its Tv over the internet. Its technically pirated tv but then streamed to you. plus I have a Synology NAS and I upload files over the internet from loads of places with no problem or slow speeds. I have 150 Download and like 10 upload. Thats all you need endless your hosting a website or you have a business. Also the ip cams themselves wouldn't be able to use all that bandwidth. Your paying for unnecessary bandwidth. What IP cams do you have? are they POE or wireless? I might suggest using a local backup for IP cameras. My NAS running synology Surveillance Station stores all of my live IP cam footage without uploading to the internet but I can still access it all over the internet on a smartphone 

Need Help? Let's chat.