cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have figured out how the rewards Points work, though perhaps somewhat painful, but hope lives

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

Apparently, the Points is like how, Take PC Optimum, it appears to work like that in some way

That could either fail, or, if tweaks and tune-ups done correctly, could make lucrative.

But, it unfortunately depends on one's bill, Itchy fingers on Add-Ons, and perhaps fate.

If PM introduced even a PM version of an PC Optimums Card, maybe savings wouldn't be too painful

But, Only Tyme will tell

14 REPLIES 14

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I've yet to ever get a migrate to koodo offer. Maybe Cuz I came from koodo? Or because I'm not willing to pay enough per month lol. But I only did that because they wouldn't reinstate an add-on that their system removed without my consent, and even upon calling they would not fix it so I shopped around lol. Loyalty meant nothing to them, so it then meant nothing to me

@ShawnC13 wrote:

Maybe we will start seeing really good migration offers to Koodo

Or maybe we will start seeing really good offers from competitors.

Given enough time, it's really only a question of "when" instead of "if". I'm curious what sort of response Public Mobile will be able to roll out when faced with the threat of losing Points subscribers who can earn more or save more somewhere else.

@gpixel,i like the idea but I don't see PM altering the program.  I really think Telus didn't expect people to be with PM that long and hoped they worked move up to the higher tiers. The number of long term customers receiving the max loyalty rewards is probably what drove the reward program redesign.  

The only thing to entice the grandfathered rewards program people over would be some great contests and giveaways.  

Maybe we will start seeing really good migration offers to Koodo

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

pm needs to revise the loyalty points to an accumulation of 10 points/year to a max of 50 points/5 years. that's about $4/30 days after 5 years. I don't see many customers joining or staying for the long term without this reward... it takes a long time to accomplish this amount of savings. that was a horrible business decision. they need to fire that person/team lol

dna2016

@makkahn28 I agree I think PM was maybe looking at the PC Optimum model when they started this journey to design a new points system.  But I think some people forgot that Rogers also tried a points system as well where people could use it towards purchasing add-ons/value packs, I believe it even extended into cable where you could use it towards ordering movies and stuff.  And I kid you not I don't think that Rogers points program even lasted 2 years before they scraped it and threw it in the dumpster. Accumulating points based on you paying your monthly service will never allow the customer to accumulate enough points fast enough to where they would get excited in even getting the points.  And to add on top of that, after it took months to accumulate enough points to even get something, there wasn't really anything worthwhile at that point level.  Very few people cared to use their points that took them 8 months to build up towards a movie that came out a year ago. But Rogers mistake was that the customer didn't have the ability to use their points towards their own Rogers bill, so at least PM got this one right at least. But I definitely don't see PM going into the credit card route, that's definitely not something for a 3rd tier telecommunications company to venture into, that's traditionally left for the main tiers that has already established the commercial appeal and branding. I don't see Mastercard partnering with Public Mobile, lol. Right now Rogers has their own Mastercard, not sure how well that's going. Maybe Telus could establish a partnership with Mastercard or Visa, and that PM customers would also benefit, but there's a lot of cost involved in that style of partnership, and then programming the tech so that what you purchase ties back to your PM account, that's a lot of operating/servicing/maintenance costs that Telus might not be willing to want to pay into for PM customers, maybe if PM was a much larger brand that had further reach and market share between all the 2 & 3 tier telecommunications companies, but even then.... So sounds like a good idea, but at the end of the day will that truly drive enough worthwhile revenue and value, or just be a headache a drive up the costs.

Dgraziani
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Upon looking at the new system it is still rewarding for new customers. But yes it is less of a reward on an annual and possible monthly basis. They have also tried to do the jackpot where they can get some of those back. I still think that PM is ahead of other companies in their tier in terms of cashback/rewards

Korth
Mayor / Maire

(A friend of mine subscribes to a Singapore telco which has all sorts of ongoing customer rewards, incentives, and motivations. Their equivalent of this Public Points system pays "top performing" customers hundreds or thousands of dollars per month. She gets 100GB 5G/LTE data - with unlimited accumulated rollover - "globally" in Asia and USA and Canada for about $12CDN per month - a flat rate "guaranteed" to never increase. Then again, she has to pay about $0.25/minute for "talk airtime".)

The more you spend, the more Points you get. Simple as that. People who subscribe to higher-cost plans will immediately enjoy more savings. (On the other side of the coin, Public Mobile will be better positioned to offer more higher-cost plans and add-ons - maybe allowing them to sell options like "Unlimited Data" and "LTE Speed Data" to subscribers who want to buy them. Within limits, of course, since Telus probably won't want to cannibalize Koodo to feed Public, lol.)

People who subscribe to lower-cost plans won't gain as much. They haven't upgraded to higher-cost plans yet, but getting more Points as part of the cost package might be the extra psychological nudge they need to make the decision.

People who've already aggregated substantial Loyalty and Referrals will come out ahead with Rewards. But not in the short term.

Immediate savings and instant gratification is a valuable attractor in a market where customers want to come and go as they please. A lot of people will take (and spend) their Points immediately because they like the freedom of choice, of avoiding confining contracts and commitments. Of course there are never long-term contracts at Public Mobile ... but then again, you only get your $5 Loyalty Reward by staying anchored for 5+ years ...

I predict that all new plans and new activations will eventually be based on Points, that Rewards will eventually be phased only towards legacy plans. This would allow Public Mobile to avoid disenfranchising existing Rewards customers while shifting its new focus onto the Points gimmick.

PM hasn't even fully implemented their Points system and already they're offering juicy one-way cash-out bonuses to those who switch over. Liquidate your Rewards for a pile of Points ($dollars$) you can spend immediately! I think it's obvious these efforts will never relent and from time to time they may even be outrageously tempting. The number of customers earning Rewards will gradually erode away.

I'm not sure the lottery/contest options for Points will go over well, though. For every winner there's going to be a lot of losers, including a lot of complainers, and the more valuable the prize the more passionate things will become. I think it's an unwise move, a nest of hornets waiting to be kicked.

I think some sort of "donate Points to charity" option would be good to have. Perhaps a choice of charities. If nothing else, to allow the Community to collectively help support members who are suffering through financial crisis - maybe anonymously, maybe sporting a charity badge.

webassassin319
New in Town / Nouveau en Ville

Well apparently I got upgraded to new program. I think we get screwed on annual loyalty. I am now better off switching if cheaper plan outside.

e.g. You are loyal customer for 4 years..

Old System

Year 1 = $0

Year 2 = $12 (subtotal $12 savings) 

Year 3 = $24 ($ 36)

Year 4 =  $36 ($72) 

New Program

Year 1 = $10 in points

Year 2 = $10 ($20)

Year 3 = $10 ($30)

Year 4 = $10 ($40)

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I think personally for simplicity's sake i'm staying on the initial system. It's simple and works for me. 

Pawprints1986

If I remember right, it's a 5% earn. So for me, my bill at $28 (do taxes count ?I assume not) would be $1.40 in rewards, or if it goes up to $30 removing the $2 autopsy, it would be $1.50. But I'm guessing that's *instead of* the $2 autopsy?

But then, this new program would be better for higher bills. If you're on a $60 plan, that's $3 worth of points vs $2 autopsy... 

I think I'm staying with the old plan myself

fdrcamb519

@makkahn28  Let's wait, and see what happens !!!!

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@makkahn28  please stop creating multiple topics all talking about rewards it can be done in one thread

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@makkahn28 

Yup --- truth be told, I'm not AT ALL interested in participating.   Let the 'newbies' be the experimental group.

How is this a "Get Support" topic?

Should be Lounged.

Need Help? Let's chat.