cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Humour and other misc. stuff

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

It's gotten a bit stale around here, so I thought maybe we could use some humour, so post your funny pics, your jokes, anecdotes, or even some nice vintage phone pics( I'm lookin' at you @AE_Collector  ), or whatever else floats yer boat.

84 REPLIES 84

CFPartDeux

Apparently some business owners in the US have been posting signs about wearing masks when people enter their business......

Reflection.jpg

CFPartDeux

Self explanatory:

TrumpSpeech.jpg

@AE_Collector wrote:

And the matching model 50 Wall Phone made from about 1940 until to 1957.

6334ABF3-8BE4-49AA-8DE1-4DE160403665.jpeg

This one brings back memories of my teen years. That was the phone at home in Victoria BC.

Placed a few crank calls..."Have you got Prince Albert in a can ?"....

CFPartDeux

Another keeper:

TrumpT.P..jpg

CFPartDeux

@AE_Collector wrote:

here is the next update. The AE 80 desk phone made from about 1956 until 1975.

Yup, saw that red one before too - THAT is pretty much the phone our family had for YEARS, except in black, and then later on we had what I suspect is probably the wall mounted version of the same phone(or very similar), but in white.

ISTR you also posted a green, and maybe a yellow version of that..... did those things come in a bunch of different colours, or is that about it?

CFPartDeux

@AE_Collector wrote:

I only have two phones built on his reproduced housings. This is the other one, also a reject as he put a crack in the side of this housing trying to pry it out of the mould. This is the predecessor to the AE40 (the clear phone). This is an AE34. They basically used the year of introduction as the model numbers then.

You posted that one before - that/'s a cool lookin' phone..... I like the different style & colours of a lot of these phones most of us have probably never seen. 👍

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

isolation.jpg

And the last in the series, the AE 80E desk phone made from 1975 until about 1987 give or take. At this time with deregulation, cheaper phones from Asia began to flood North America and AE quit making telephones but the damage was done, AE completely went out of business a year or so later. They were huge in making switching equipment for Central Offices. AE was effectively the inventor of the Dial telephone and the dial Switching systems. Gone.... RIP AE.2EDE4CBC-546A-4D26-92B5-C39A1EEEFE0A.jpeg

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Specify President.jpg

Thanks to @CFPartDeux ...for sizing correction.

And since I have posted the AE34 desk phone, then the new updated replacement... the AE40 desk phone (With companion AE50 wall phone) here is the next update. The AE 80 desk phone made from about 1956 until 1975.

0AC08C30-BCC9-480D-AEFF-5FBAF193B86C.jpeg

I only have two phones built on his reproduced housings. This is the other one, also a reject as he put a crack in the side of this housing trying to pry it out of the mould. This is the predecessor to the AE40 (the clear phone). This is an AE34. They basically used the year of introduction as the model numbers then.

AE_Collector

1D14147A-A06C-4A9E-8779-36CA6A24DB11.jpeg76524764-46DF-49F8-8D05-5FA06E3B1AE5.jpeg

@CFPartDeux 

I know its history. It is a real AE phone that likely had a smashed Bakelite housing. A guy I know in the mid west USA casts new telephone housings from resin as replacement parts or complete kits in lots of different colours as well as clear. This is one of his housing rejects, there was a little goof up inside with a threaded brass insert for a screw terminal that floated loose making it unusable to him as he puts 15-20 hours into each Complete phone and sells them complete for $800-$1200 US depending on the model. I got a great deal on it from him as while I am a serious collector, I’m not $800-$1200 US serious! Thus it didn’t come with the matching clear handset though I have discussed the possibility with him.

He casts them upside down in the mould. You can see the brass terminals inside. There should be one in the lower red circle but it wasn't fastened into the mould properly and it  floated to the lowest point which is inside the top red circle, the top of the cradle ear. It is completely inside the resin of course, just nowhere near where it was supposed to be! Had it not been a clear phone case he would have assumed he missed putting it in place in the mould. But since it was a clear case he finally spotted it!

The manufacturer did make some originals of numerous models in clear. They were used as samples to phone companies and occasionally for employee gifts like Employment  anniversaries with companies etc. The majority of the few clear ones from the 1940’s era turned a very dark Smokey colour with time rather than staying clear like this one will being made with much better products.

AE_Collector

A4651D75-22AD-4662-A893-9D69EA3E2F3A.jpeg

CFPartDeux

@AE_Collector wrote:

The Automatic Electric Company Model 40 wasn't really available in a clear see through version but I have one anyway. They were mainly available in black Bakelite like this ones handset. This model was made from 1939 through 1957.

Pretty sure you posted that pic before, although I don't recall a mention of "wasn't really available in a clear version"..... care to elaborate on that one..... is that a reproduction piece to replace broken Bakelite, or did you acquire it that way, and don't know the history of it? 🤔

CFPartDeux

@AE_Collector wrote:

@CFPartDeux 

I cant recall what I have and have not posted so far!

[snip]

It is an Automatic Electric from the teens or early 20’s. 

Cool.... no, I haven't seen that one before! 👍

I mentioned once before...my handle AE_Collector ... AE = Automatic Electric...

Yes, I recall, and  I also recall seeing several of the funky colours of your basic countertop dial phones that most of us have only ever seen in either black or white.

CFPartDeux

@BearFBI wrote:

I'm sure everyone has seen this one before.

Hmmm, guess I haven't paid attention, because, no, I actually hadn't seen that one before..... it wouldn't surprise me if that was actually quite doable, given that I've seen a 3D printed car, minus the drivetrain, and 3D printed buildings, IIRC, over in Afghanistan, printed in place, for US military. 😮

And the matching model 50 Wall Phone made from about 1940 until to 1957.

6334ABF3-8BE4-49AA-8DE1-4DE160403665.jpeg

The Automatic Electric Company Model 40 wasn't really available in a clear see through version but I have one anyway. They were mainly available in black Bakelite like this ones handset. This model was made from 1939 through 1957.

4DFDE091-EE26-4929-916B-188EF23BE98E.jpeg

@srlawren 

Hollow or fully of crap, 6 of one or half a dozen of the other.

@CFPartDeux 

I cant recall what I have and have not posted so far! This one makes a great cell phone for talk and text but the lack of a screen and data capability limits its functionality in the 21st century. Still, it is very rugged. It is an Automatic Electric from the teens or early 20’s. 

I mentioned once before...my handle AE_Collector ... AE = Automatic Electric...

AF64BEDE-1541-43EA-BC05-1D6B0574E2E4.jpeg

@BearFBI   Good one! 😂

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I'm sure everyone has seen this one before.

khgj90fj7k531.jpg

CFPartDeux

@dabr wrote:

@CFPartDeux   Funny!!  🤣   Hmm....have to see if it gets tossed out in Nov (or not)!!

Actually, when you think about it, given the current world situation, there's likely a higher probability of Donny getting tossed out before any jack-o'-lanterns..... 😮

CFPartDeux

@srlawren wrote:

@CFPartDeux small point of contention on that one: pumpkins are not hollow; Jack-o'-lanterns are.  

Pickin' nits I say! 😉

EDIT: the best part of that image is that the creator did't even have to adjust the colour on any part of the image (straight-up copy-and-paste).  

How true! I'm thinkin' that usin' Donny's face on there actually might have enhanced the orange colour of the pumpkin! 🤣

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@CFPartDeux   Funny!!  🤣   Hmm....have to see if it gets tossed out in Nov (or not)!!

@srlawren   Have to agree the colour match is uncanny! 😂

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@CFPartDeux small point of contention on that one: pumpkins are not hollow; Jack-o'-lanterns are.  

EDIT: the best part of that image is that the creator did't even have to adjust the colour on any part of the image (straight-up copy-and-paste).  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Need Help? Let's chat.