cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huawei Tower

TMS
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Is Telus (Public Mobile) going with Huawei in the future? What about the present? Hoping they go with other.

What about Rogers and Bell are they going to be using Huawei Towers?

20 REPLIES 20

@popping wrote:

Anyone know the meaning of check mark on this thread.

This means that there was a solution assigned to this thread. However, solutions can't be assigned when a thread is in The Lounge, so the message that was previously chosen as the solution will not be indicated.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Anyone know the meaning of check mark on this thread.

TMS

@Anonymous  

When I say this in my head it's shrugging saying I dunno...but in text it's gonna read as snotty.

How should I know? Go to a shareholders meeting and ask.

See. Sounds snotty. I'm just saying I dunno. 🙂

You could’ve JUST said, “I dunno”. 🙂

I’ll DM ya with a text as to what’s in my head right now. Lots of snottiness. Lol 😂 👍

I hear you. To answer your question, the radio equipment definitely has intelligence and processing capability. But its only link is to Telus routers, eventually connecting to Telus/Bell core networks, where every packet can be captured and analyzed. I don't see how user data can be sent to China via the core network. The radio equipment is not connected to any external networks.

The only thing I can think of, is if the base station can somehow create an encrypted tunnel by itself and encapsulate data to a new destination over the internet. I don't even know if something like that is possible. Maybe someone with IP expertise can comment.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sheytoon wrote:

@Anonymous what exactly do people need to trust? It's radio equipment, not core. What can Huawei or the Chinese government actually do?

@sheytoon 

Not a clue. It's all suspicion and innuendo. I have no clue how deep any installed equipment goes. If it's just dumb radio transmission then maybe that's fine. Or is it? Or what is installed somewhere else intercepting those radio signals...a la Stingray. If there's some semblance of a microchip with software in it somewhere then the possibilities are endless. I don't know how the infrastructure of a cell system works so I don't know at what point nefarious deeds can be performed.

Of course we have our own cops and spy agencies watching over us too but at least they're internal. Then our allies. That's certainly problematic to me. But to have a not so friendly authoritarian government with its hands in all of its internal affairs ... leaves one to wonder.

Then there are the two camps of privacy. 1. what do I have to hide? 2. I have everything to hide.

A mobile transmitting device carried around by _everybody_ has its whole host of possibilities. But we trade that for the convenience of an always-with-us communication device and mobile connection to the internet.

All we can do is hope and trust that what we do and share on the device is not being abused by unwanted actors.

blah blah blah paranoid conspiracy theories everywhere...what'r'y'gonna do 🙂

@Anonymous what exactly do people need to trust? It's radio equipment, not core. What can Huawei or the Chinese government actually do?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sheytoon wrote:

What is the problem with Huawei in the RAN exactly?

Geo-politics. Trust in the supplier due to geo-politics. Trust in a governing body having any authority over that supplier due to geo-politics. Siding with allies that might have issues with all of the above due to geo-politics.

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Today's news is Telus go with Samsung for 5G

The latest information that I have is that Bell will be using Ericsson and Nokia for 5G RAN. Telus has not specifically announced a RAN vendor. My suspicion is that they will use Samsung for 5G RAN, Ericsson/Nokia for 5G Core, and they may or may not make a decision on a second RAN vendor.

Telus already uses Huawei for 3G and 4G RAN.

Rogers uses Ericsson for 2G, 3G, 4G, 5G RAN, with Huawei for 3G RAN in BC, AB, SK.

Bell uses Huawei and Nokia for 3G and 4G RAN.

What is the problem with Huawei in the RAN exactly?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TMS wrote:

@Anonymous 

Will Telus do away with their existing Huawei Equipment? We here at PM probably won’t be using 5G anytime soon, so does that mean we are still on Huawei equipment?

When I say this in my head it's shrugging saying I dunno...but in text it's gonna read as snotty.

How should I know? Go to a shareholders meeting and ask.

See. Sounds snotty. I'm just saying I dunno. 🙂

Yes @TMS , it seems that all of the major telecommunication companies use its equipment to varying degress with Rogers being the least invested. See article.

https://www.thestar.com/business/technology/2019/05/21/rogers-says-us-huawei-ban-wont-slow-it-down.h...

TMS

Does Rogers use Huawei for any of their towers (equipment)?

2G, GSM, 3G, 4G LTE?

TMS

@gblackma 

PM uses Huawei presently, correct?

I rather doubt it @TMS  if they do, it will be a gradual process over an extended period of time. We will get 5g before they are finished. Probably redundancy will do it. Stay safe. 

TMS

@Anonymous 

Will Telus do away with their existing Huawei Equipment? We here at PM probably won’t be using 5G anytime soon, so does that mean we are still on Huawei equipment?

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire
@TMS a 5G tower is going in, near St Catherines Ontario friends of mine received notices. Huawei has been making telecommunications networks since the '80s and we have been using their technology for a while.

But yes looks like they will be going with Erikkson or something.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This was from back in February. I had recalled seeing about this. And then there was this in June.

TMS

@RossN  What? 5G!

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@TMS wrote:

Is Telus (Public Mobile) going with Huawei in the future? What about the present? Hoping they go with other.

What about Rogers and Bell are they going to be using Huawei Towers?

@TMS that is highly doubt full since they already have the best coverage across
Canada any 5G upgrades to their towers will not be with Hauwei

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

They aren't @TMS . There was an article that said that both Bell and Telus were going with a Swedish and a Finnish company. Stay safe. 

Heres a link to the article. https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bce-5g-ericsson-1.5594601

Need Help? Let's chat.