cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How nuts am I? and selling stuff.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just drove 8 hours in a rental car up and down a couple mountain passes on the possibility that the seller of an obsolete 12 year old tv would come down from being way over-priced. I look at it. All seems fine. Then we talk money as we touched on through a phone call. Thus the source of that possibility.  I'm not going to offer sight-unseen when the price is starting out too high. If a seller asks well below then it would sell in a minute. Sight-unseen even. But if they ask too high then it languishes. This one languished. I offered what I believed to be a generous well above fair market value price. He wouldn't budge. I couldn't reasonably justify his price. He wouldn't move. Dead-locked. So I drove the 8 hours back empty-handed.

How nuts am I? 🙂

There are two kinds of private sellers:

1. Want to sell it. Price it whatever with an eye to a reasonable fair market value. Some one offers something that you can live with just so its sold.

2. Want to see what they can get while being fine enough to just keep it so not taking much of any offers even if fair market value or more. And so just doesn't sell it.

#1 works for both parties. #2 sucks for the buyer.

73 REPLIES 73

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@darlicious Thanks for the info. but we were looking for the distant future, approx 2 years until we get a new truck. 

@stevenanto 

Camping reservations open up the 1st of february for 3 months hence. Do your research, have your account already set up and have both a person trying on the internet and a person on the phone. Practice with the opening dates so you are a seasoned veteran by the time your preferred dates become available.

stevenanto

@Anonymous Ah gotcha, I wanna visit the west, looking to do a nice camping road trip with family 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@stevenanto : From the OP...up and down two mountain passes...where else...the real west. 🙂 But where I am sorta doesn't matter when I'm collecting data from your link....please 🙂 I'm in the southern interior of BC. I'll drive those kinds of hours in decent weather. It was a nice high pressure break with no precip when I took my recent drive.

@darlicious 

No change in the industry, lol. Except that China recently declared that it will no longer be the world's dumping ground - that's caused a lot of things to be shuffled around in the industry, a lot of changes in government regulations and subsidies. Trudeau has decided to keep on sending our garbage to the Philippines, and the Philippines has decided to keep on sending it back, lol.

There's always "somewhere else" to dump toxic landfill. But the costs (transport and bribes) keep going up as the list of (poor or corrupt) governments willing to accept the garbage keeps dwindling. At some point the export costs must exceed the deal-with-it-locally costs, though we aren't quite there yet.

@Korth 

Sadly I have seen the documentaries I was just hoping that there might be some work arounds and/or industry change. I remember watching that tech treasure hunters show and I am sure there was a warehouse in the lower mainland full of this stuff.....like the first "edition" nintendo console i have.

@darlicious 

E-waste recycling isn't as awesome as most people think. Don't be fooled by the smiling politics and promising startups. The best outcomes they actually deliver usually amount to turning good ewaste into profit while sending bad ewaste somewhere else.

They do salvage a few (very, very few) choice parts for resale and re-use. But most of it is just sorted so that metal and plastic and glass go to the right places. Circuit boards are likely landfill, though in Asia they're starting to grind that stuff down, dissolve it in boiling cyanide acid, and extract the precious metals - gold, silver, copper - before sending the other (hugely toxic) 99% of the mass into landfill. And there's yet another sad industry (a travesty, an atrocity) in the Third World Undeveloped nations which are paid dumpsites - starving people sort through the trash for bits of commodity metal they can sell (they improvise ways to melt batches in their homes and chronically expose themselves to extremely toxic fumes from heavy metals and industrial plastics).

Consumers are strongly discouraged from touching anything after it's arrived at a "recycling" facility. Potential electrical hazards (charged capacitors, batteries, etc), potential chemical hazards (mercury, cadmium, etc), and privacy laws (who knows what amazing data could be found on somebody else's discards). Plus the stuff is just easier (cheaper) to transport and process as intact units, TVs go into the TV pile, phones go into the phone pile, etc - it's extra hassle (time, cost) to go through crates of random parts from random things.

I've serviced some conveyer equipment at an E-Cycle place. I've seen two truckloads of brand new unopened fresh-from-Walmart unsold 60" flatscreens get destroyed for raw materials. It turns out that the manufacturers pay to have last year's unsold stock destroyed instead of paying to have it sent back for upgrades or salvage at the factory - it just costs them less, plus it forces consumers to keep buying the newest items (at the newest prices).

(I also saw a treasure trove of professional cameras, high-end servers full of graphic cards from a Telus datacenter, tons of easily repairable home appliances. Along with bins and bins of smartphones, remotes, dead toys, and other junk. If the intention was recycling and reducing waste then they'd let technicians take the prized goodies before sending it all into the grinder and meltpot. But they don't.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toijA2e1sLw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFfaYc_pIx8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P8_ZoOBmF0

stevenanto

Where are you located?

@CFPartDeux 

Now that is a question.....I know electronics are sorted reuse, refurbush, recycle. Where a member of the public comes in wanting to rescue I'm not sure.....

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@darlicious  Well, I SUPPOSE that's possible, but it seems unlikely.....

"Edit: How many people hold it in high regard vs big, bulky and obsolete?"

Ok, now that you put it that way. 😁  Trouble is, someone may have dropped it off at the recycling depot, but do they even give or resell that stuff to people? Once it's there, isn't that EOL for that particular item? 🤔

@CFPartDeux 

Think about it....youve replaced your giant plasma tv with an equally big flat screen that weighs10lb  and/or you are moving. In the age of covid you can list it for sale or for free but if you have no takers or you cant be bothered to answer emails etc... you just get it in your vehicle and drop it off for free at the depot.

Edit: How many people hold it in high regard vs big, bulky and obsolete?

CFPartDeux

@darlicious wrote:

@Anonymous 

Ok I will keep an eye out for you.....have you thought about talking to the guys at the electronics recycling depot?

While it couldn't hurt, don't you think that something THIS well regarded, wouldn't be sitting at the recycling depot if it still worked? 🤔

CFPartDeux

@Anonymous wrote:

The seller (or should I say keeper 🙂 ) was asking well over a thousand. No way. Out to lunch.

DANG!!! 😮  So, out of curiosity, "well over a thousand" is a bit vague..... would you care to tell us his actual asking price? That, and since you asked us, "how nuts am I?", just how nuts are you really, i.e. since he was asking over $1000, given the rental and the road trip, how high were you actually willing to go for this "lovely", but old piece of electronics?

CFPartDeux

@darlicious wrote:

@Anonymous 

Got it. Plasma.Pioneer.... preferably 2009. Key word "kuro". Bigger the better.

Yeah, although Panasonic plasmas are well regarded, I HAVE heard(never having seen one in operation) that Pioneer Kuro TVs are THE plasmas to have. Having said that, you REALLY do need to have consumed the Kool-Aid(which z10 admits to having done) to be willing to spend significant amounts for 12 yr. old tech.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @stevenanto . Pricey depends on many factors. People can ask whatever they want. You rarely hear what they ended up selling it for...if it sold.

Can you pm me a link to that?

stevenanto

@Anonymous i have a guy in my area selling it for 300 (50 inch original owner)

man these things are pricey

@Anonymous 

Ok I will keep an eye out for you.....have you thought about talking to the guys at the electronics recycling depot?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : I have seen them around for a few hundred dollars...mostly ON. One says sold with $375 showing. I've read stories in the states where people will give them away to a good home to a fellow enthusiast but that you have to take it off the wall and take it away yourself. The same place shows some screens asking lower hundreds. Even one at $125.

I have seen them asking less than a thousand.

The seller (or should I say keeper 🙂 ) was asking well over a thousand. No way. Out to lunch.

It's not about scarcity either. It's about who's buying one. Seems you can barely give these things away. But I want one. But I'm not paying the moon for one. It's the buyer that's scarce.

If my current screen dies then I might possibly replace it with a 50". There seem to be several more of those showing up on occasion. But if I can find a 60" anytime before that then I would get it. If I could get to and from the states I would go there. Stupid covid.

@Anonymous 

$1,000,000 no wait....one billion dollars!! $$$$$

@Anonymous 

Got it. Plasma.Pioneer.... preferably 2009. Key word "kuro". Bigger the better. Can you give me a ballpark figure?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious

Thanks for the find. I'm targeting Pioneer. Specifically 2009. As gpixel4 would say...a unicorn. I drink the Kuro cult Kool-Aid.

I've tried a low series large LCD. I've tried a top series not as large OLED. They don't work for my eyes. The OLED was close. But it wasn't worth buying it compared to what I have.

@stevenanto : There was a conversation before I left. There seemed to be an opening for offering less than asking. So I went. He gambled on not budging and that I would take it anyway. I gambled on coming back empty-handed. So we both lost? 🙂 No, I lost. He's out nothing and still has the thing.

What he doesn't want to know is that the fair market value is much less than his asking price. I'm fine to pay fair market value. I'm fine to be more than generous in some cases. I'm not fine to over-pay.

Like we all might do with things we have, we have our price. But if you actually want to sell it then you work it. If you just want to get your price then you need to be prepared to not sell it.

It's what I call fishing. I use the term more in real estate. You set a ridiculous price. Sure, I'll sell it if someone pays this price. Otherwise, I'm fine to keep it.

stevenanto

Nothing bad about making a nice road trip of it. 

In temrms of buying or selling it doesn’t hurt to ask them if their price is negotiable and how low would they be willing to go. Then you know if you can actually accommodate their asking price. I’ve been on both ends of this. But it sounds like the seller knows exactly what they had on their hands and probably knew you had a long drive so he wouldn’t budge on price. He took his chance with his firm price and didn’t luck out. 

CFPartDeux

@Anonymous wrote:

As I know only too well...once somebody interprets your text their way then it's very difficult to re-assert your intended meaning after the fact. The reader read it their way and that's that.

Well, it IS the internet, where people are simply yappin' on a forum, and it's all text, so it happens all the time. Trouble is, you make a post like that, and all it says, is that you think I misread the intention of one of your posts, or you misread one of mine..... 😕

Enjoy your new(to you) Panasonic. 👍

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Anonymous 

Only one drawback that i'm sure you could figure out.....plasma is plasma isn't it? BTW.....did I mention ummmmm.......free.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/zip/d/vancouver-panasonic-viera-plasma-tv/7253651602.html

Anonymous
Not applicable

As I know only too well...once somebody interprets your text their way then it's very difficult to re-assert your intended meaning after the fact. The reader read it their way and that's that.

Cheers

CFPartDeux

@Anonymous wrote:

@CFPartDeux : Better?

Is what better? Ah, ok, after a 2nd look, I see your edit..... and no, it made zero difference if you left that there or not - my reply was simply disagreeing with what you said I would do.

Your writing had an unnecessarily forceful feel and a thumbs down at the end.

LOL, seriously, because of two all-caps words!? 🙄

You make your choices. I'll make mine.

EXACTLY what my post was saying, i.e. you said that because I know about plasma, I'd get the set, even for free, and I simply disagreed, because there's not a chance in hell I'd spend 16 hrs. driving, and a car rental for a 12 yr. old TV, plasma or otherwise, hence the thumbs-down at the end..... nothing more, nothing less.

I started the thread as a frustration at sellers and my own assumptions.

I'm frustrated and pissed off at my eyes and frustrated and pissed off at modern technology that it's unusable to me so I'm going retro to go bigger. It's a testament to what I have and what I'm looking for that these 12 year old screens still exist and that they're that good. But I ain't over-paying for it.

And I believe I pretty much agreed with the gist of that, with the exception of the journey to get it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CFPartDeux : Better? Your writing had an unnecessarily forceful feel and a thumbs down at the end. You make your choices. I'll make mine. I started the thread as a frustration at sellers and my own assumptions.

I'm frustrated and pissed off at my eyes and frustrated and pissed off at modern technology that it's unusable to me so I'm going retro to go bigger. It's a testament to what I have and what I'm looking for that these 12 year old screens still exist and that they're that good. But I ain't over-paying for it.

CFPartDeux

@Anonymous wrote:

Jeez. See that pill bottle labeled Chill? Take one.

Since you posted that RIGHT after my reply, I'm assuming that was aimed at me? What in my post required THAT reply..... two words in all caps, or did you read something in there that wasn't actually there!? 🤔 Chill indeed.....

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

If you want a used tv, just pay attentions to cube side in your neighborhood. I got two working TVs, and still working. 

Jovi
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Korth 

Great tip 👍

Need Help? Let's chat.