cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I port over to Koodo?

cyhoiii
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey guys,

I am pretty new at this, and I apologize if this had been asked already. I am currently with Public Mobile for the really old promo plan ($120/3mths for 12GB total), however now I am looking to switch over to Koodo as I am finding that an average of 4GB a month is not really enough. 

Could someone please explain the process on how to properly do a switch over to Koodo with my current phone number? My PM plan expires end of this month, so I figured it would be best to do the change now.

16 REPLIES 16

A Koodo SIM card will be needed so just calling may not get it done.

AE_Collector

Msalehi
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just call Kodo and register for the plan. It will automatically will be transfered.

@AE_Collector 

That's what I was thinking.....theres no risk in trying the throttled speed since they are already a customer but if the new provider isn't all they say they are moving back to pm costs a sim card and the loss of accumulated rewards and any costs associated with changing to a new provider.

@maximum_gato 

Sounds as though @cyhoiii may have already left for greener pastures. Good idea with the 1 month test of 3G plan though, that would have been a good move since already working on PM. So many think that LTE speed is so important and will lead to a much better experience which is true if everything else is equal. I’m wondering if the move to 8Gb LTE for $50 is with Freedom which can very easily introduce a whole new load of frustrations quickly making 3G on a real provider look very appealing!

AE_Collector

@cyhoiii 

You've already mentioned koodo.....and  it never hurts to hear other members experiences with other providers. Curiously public mobile has a similarly priced plan do you only have autopay and loyalty rewards to lose? Still not willing to give pm's 4G LTE throttled data a 30 day trial?

cyhoiii

Thanks for the info guys! 

I tried out using 3G on my phone yesterday and the speed really wasn;t all that different, except Instagram loaded somewhat slower than normal (not too bad though). I don't plan on streaming any videos longer than a minute on my data anyway.

However though i just found out about another company that was doing double data promo with LTE, (8gbs for ~$50 dollars), and ultimately I went with that instead. Not sure if I'm allowed to mention their name in a PM forum. 

@cyhoiii 

I agree with @AE_Collector unless you're watching HD movies on your phone there is very little difference between 4G and 4G LTE throttled data. If a higher speed is needed you can switch to 3G and have data speeds up to 20mbps. Before you fork out to port out to koodo why not change your plan to the $40/5gb or $50/8.5gb plan and test it out for 30 days and if you're still not satisfied then make the move to koodo. You will also use less data on throttled 4G LTE. Here is koodo's best current promotion in your range....the normal 3gb plan....the 5gb plan is $5 more at $55 p/m.

$50 per month
+ applicable monthly tab charge

3gb of data+2gb bonus (shock free)

unlimited Canada wide calling

unlimited in canada SMS/MMS texting

Call display, call waiting, conference calling and voicemail

Additional data $10/100mb

$40 connection fee in store including sim card/$0 online connection including sim card

* make sure you read the nitty gritty

Note the additional data charges rate. Public mobiles $15/1gb (of roll over) data add on would have the equivilant price = $100/1gb.

Just curious, presumably someone on a 4G plan with PM who wonders if they would notice a slow down going to a PM 3G plan may be able to set their phone to 3G only to give it a test? PM uses 3G or throttled LTE for data so a test like this may give you inside about the speed. Most people here aren’t mega data users thus they (me too) claim that they see no difference using PM’s data for what they do. 

AE_Collector

cyhoiii

Thanks! 

I did check out the PM plans, however they were 3G speeds. Koodo had LTE, which I would prefer. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@cyhoiii wrote:

Hey guys,

I am pretty new at this, and I apologize if this had been asked already. I am currently with Public Mobile for the really old promo plan ($120/3mths for 12GB total), however now I am looking to switch over to Koodo as I am finding that an average of 4GB a month is not really enough. 

Could someone please explain the process on how to properly do a switch over to Koodo with my current phone number? My PM plan expires end of this month, so I figured it would be best to do the change now.

@cyhoiii  Go to the Koodo website or retail location and signup for the plan that you want. During your Koodo sim activation ask them to port-in your Public Mobile number. You need to provide them with your Public Mobile account number, name on the Public Mobile account and the Public Mobile phone number. You can get that info by accessing your Public Mobile selfserve account.

Note: As already mentioned to forget to remove the credit card that you have on file with Public Mobile via selfserve before activating with Koodo.

Good Luck.

@cyhoiii 

You DO know that PM has plans that include more than 4 Gb per month presumably? You state the need for more data as your reason to leave PM for Koodo yet there is no mention of switching to the $40/5Gb/30 day PM plan for a 25% increase in data OR to the $50/8.5Gb/30 day plan for more than 100% increase in data. Unless Koodo happens to have a sweet spot in between PM’s 5 and 8.5Gb plans, I bet you get a better deal right here at PM.

PS: Now that this topic is back to PM rather than Koodo, time to move it back to a regular area of the forum. I’m not sure why everyone answers the OP’s question so literally without mentioning that PM has larger plans available as well.

AE_Collector

@computergeek541 

@zblackma was right you are a one-man wrecking crew moving over threads LOL 

I think you have been more active as a retired oracle then prior ha-ha. 

Keep up the god work! 

cyhoiii

Wow you guys are super quick with replies!

So it really does seem like it is a seamless process for me where I really don't have to do anything besides going over to Koodo and checking out with a plan and phone?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Remove any registered payment card. You're done here.

Then you give Koodo the required particulars and this account gets closed at the time of transfer.

All porting to Koodo is to be handled by Koodo. You can port an inactive Public Mobile phone number to Koodo as long as it hasn't been suspended for non-payment for 90 days. Be sure to have your Public Mobile account number with you when you're doing the porting to Koodo.

Need Help? Let's chat.