cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holy Smoke!

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Vancouver and many parts of southern bc and the island are experiencing the worst air quality in the world. Caused by the massive fires in california, oregon and washington state. It was evident on tuesday but less so the next couple of days but by Friday morning there was s familiar smell of campfire in the air and visibility was down to zero?!!

Share your pics......

A time lapse of this past Tuesday evening.....20200912_065430-ANIMATION.gif

40 REPLIES 40

"acrid", "amaroidal", and "abhorrent" apparently aren't used commonly enough for my spellcheck to let them pass unmolested.

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@darlicious wrote:

I'm sure @ShawnC13  and others can attest to its afraid qualities as Victoria has it worse than Vancouver.

Uhm..... was that Firefox, on your tablet, doing another one of those completely off the wall auto-correct things, or did you actually intend to type that? 🤔

Seaside bike ride theres just not that much to see....20200912_193745.jpg

If you can't see the sea what you do see is quite eerie......20200912_193609.jpg

@yanzhiqiang 

Yes if you didn't want to wear a mask before you will now....and you live in victoria. No views from here either.20200912_093938-COLLAGE.jpg

@Korth 

This normally happy camper who was unable to camp this year woke to smell that nostalgic campfire smell for about 2 minutes and then I was just left with a heavy sludge of air. I'm sure @ShawnC13  and others can attest to its afraid qualities as Victoria has it worse than Vancouver.20200912_075855-COLLAGE.jpg

@dabr 

We've had some pretty smokey days in past summers from our own forest fires but this is incredibly thick and looks similar to the winter fog we get during temperature inversions. Unfortunately the sun cant burn it off by midafternoon. The brief bit of sun i did see today had that weird orange glow.20200912_072704-COLLAGE.jpg

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

N95 masks help!

Korth
Mayor / Maire

Or it could be Unholy Smoke.

It certainly smells like it. Underneath the campfire smell is a sort of gritty slimy scorched plastic scent.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@darlicious   Yes it's hard to tell between sunrise and sunset except for the eerie red coloured sun in the eastern sky, or should I say smoke haze.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Sunrise or sunset? This morning it was non-existent.....just dull grey.20200912_074506-COLLAGE.jpg

Need Help? Let's chat.