cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Maps Offline

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@darlicious  on Google maps you can download "offline maps" and still get the turn by turn talking instructions. It's the same thing except you won't get real time traffic updates since it's not on data.

Then go in Google map settings in the app and turn on wifi only. When that is set it will say "when not connected to wifi only offline maps will work"

Also while in settings go to "offline map settings"

Ensure download preferences is set to wifi only.

3 REPLIES 3

@Jb456  Cool ill be doing this on my next trip........many planned , booked and paid for and probably soon to be cancelled! Thanks again my brain works well with the watch and learn concept.

@darlicious  nothing to do so I'll help you out. Just bookmark this thread for instructions 😝

• Open Google maps app
  • Top right click your logo Screenshot_20200402_021508.jpg
  •  Ensure you're connected to wifi first so you don't download the maps with your data.
  • Actually better yet change the settings first.
  • So click "settings"Screenshot_20200402_021921.jpg
  •  Turn on wifi only..then go to one on top "offline map settings"Screenshot_20200402_022017.jpg
  •  In offline map settings make sure first two are turned on. Like Picture below
  • And for "Download Preferences" set to wifi only.Screenshot_20200402_022142.jpg
  •  once all settings are done go back to your name iconScreenshot_20200402_021508.jpg
  •  This time select "offline maps"Screenshot_20200402_022557.jpg
  •  click "select your own mapScreenshot_20200402_022701.jpg

 pick an area of the map you want and click "download"Screenshot_20200402_022937.jpg

•  Done!
  • Everything in the Square that you downloaded now is the map. So my screenshot example. I have maps from MTL to Ottawa parts of Vermont and New York.

You can download multiple offline maps to and you'll always have the person talking with the turn by turn instructions.

Enjoy!

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Jb456  Thanks  that's good to know....i saved those instructions in a screenshot for future reference. When my bf and I were wandering around Barcelona we each take directions  the opposite of one another. He did the step by step and I needed a general overview and memorized the the street names that we had to turn right or left on.....

Need Help? Let's chat.