cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodbye everyone. I've switched to Shaw Mobile and couldn't be happier

FrostyButters
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks to the community for all of the help and support.

Public Mobile was the last telus service I subscribed to. I'm glad to have severed all ties.

49 REPLIES 49

DolphinV8

All of the above -- AND better reception.

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Korth wrote:

@AE_Collector wrote:

Thats an unusual one though...crappy signal on Telus so the first thought is to switch to Shaw or Freedom! 

People switch away from providers because of poor reliability.

They don't switch to providers because of better reliability. They switch to different providers because they can get better plans, prices, or phones.

You're making a generalization with that statement, because I can assure you that's not true of everybody.....

@AE_Collector wrote:

Thats an unusual one though...crappy signal on Telus so the first thought is to switch to Shaw or Freedom! 

People switch away from providers because of poor reliability.

They don't switch to providers because of better reliability. They switch to different providers because they can get better plans, prices, or phones.

Could be poor reception causing the lack of Text message to port out but since the instructions to port out ultimately originates from your new company .........

AE_Collector

@DolphinV8 

Enjoy your new provider. Hopefully their coverage in your area will give you better reception and service.

DolphinV8

Thank you (though let's hope it never comes to that) and thanks again as you continue helping everyone with their questions in this forum.

Best wishes!

DolphinV8

Thank you for this helpful information that I trust does clarify for anyone else who might see this comment and experience any kind of delay. (My next attempt did result in success, so I think you were correct).

My best wishes as you continue helping everyone else in the P.Mobile community.

DolphinV8

OK, and thank you for providing this helpful information.

Best wishes.

@DolphinV8 

Public mobile, koodo and telus all run on the same network and get the exact same reception. However pm does not support voip calling which could explain the difference in call quality. You may just be in one of those few areas that a freedom/rogers cell tower is better situated than the nearest telus tower.

If you havent recieved the text from pm you may want to check with shaw and when they requested the porting of your number.

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Do what you have to do, Good luck and take care!

DolphinV8

Only reason I need to hear from Public Mobile is permission to port my telephone number over to the new service.

A possible complication is the spotty mobile reception where we live -- spotty with Public Mobile, that is; when another household member switched to Telus the problem of "spotty reception" stopped. If I'm correct that Telus owns Public Mobile, perhaps the Public Mobile service/reception is being choked off.  But I'll leave that for you in-house experts to clarify and please, do, correct me if I'm in error about the spotty mobile reception.

Easy solution might be to just get a new telephone number, and inform all my contacts.

@DolphinV8 wrote:

Only step left before inserting my new SIM card is getting a text from Public Mobile acknowleding the end of my service. This will let me keep my existing number.

Still waiting.

Still waiting to get away from Public Mobile.

Will Public Mobile ever let me get its claws off of me?

Still waiting.

Number ports take as long as they take. They involve a system of cooperative protocols between operators, and there's strict rules in place which prevent operators from being unreasonably obstructive.

Interesting that the old provider is always blamed for delays. And always blamed for problems or failures.

If you initiated a mobile number port through Shaw then you don't need any further contact with Public - at some point your old service will stop working, you'll install your new SIM card, you'll restart, and your new service will start working. There will only be a problem if you (or Shaw) entered the MNP information incorrectly. Public (or Telus) cannot interfere once things have already reached the point where MNP has been initiated.

MNPs usually complete in minutes these days. Sometimes a few hours. CRTC allows a maximum limit of 10 days but a delay of 2-3 business days is already rare and if you've been waiting longer then you should contact Shaw to confirm there isn't a problem.

dude65
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@DolphinV8  sorry to see you leave, but when you tired of the other provider, PM will still be here. 

DolphinV8

I am in the middle of switching over to Shaw -- I have activated with Shaw.

I have my new SIM card handy.

Only step left before inserting my new SIM card is getting a text from Public Mobile acknowleding the end of my service. This will let me keep my existing number.

Still waiting.

Still waiting to get away from Public Mobile.

Will Public Mobile ever let me get its claws off of me?

Still waiting.
Hopefully not much longer to go before my mobile phone will be ALWAYS in range, in stead of only occasionally as has been the case with Public Mobile.

Goodbye forever Public Mobile.

Likewise with Telus. Never will be a customer of Telus.

BEER

@FrostyButters wrote:

Thanks to the community for all of the help and support.

Public Mobile was the last telus service I subscribed to. I'm glad to have severed all ties.

We've all been had - just perhaps this is a clever ploy to use this forum to advertise for Shaw Mobile --- and perusing the pages of activity  it seems that it has  worked. 

@CFPartDeux wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@dabr 

You said....... I don't think Shaw is any different from the other internet providers, that is they ALL* seem to increase their prices/or will match the increase of their competitors. Alas!

*ALL but public mobile as they tried that once......and it didn't go over too well!

While you CAN access the internet via PM's data, I don't think too many folks would consider PM to be "an internet provider"..... 😜 😁

@CFPartDeux 

You made me flip my tablet didn't you.....yes I realize that but i also thought that @dabr was referring to both internet and mobile service providers raising their prices.

Edit: Ok as i wrote I was wrong so now I'm righting my wrong as @dabr has clarified that by assuming I have made an 🐎 out of not U but me!

@darlicious wrote:

@dabr 

You said....... I don't think Shaw is any different from the other internet providers, that is they ALL* seem to increase their prices/or will match the increase of their competitors. Alas!

*ALL but public mobile as they tried that once......and it didn't go over too well!

@darlicious   I actually was referring to internet providers.  But I'm sure even PM will eventually try to raise their prices despite what happened the last time they tried.

CFPartDeux

@darlicious wrote:

@dabr 

While you CAN access the internet via PM's data, I don't think too many folks would consider PM to be "an internet provider"..... 😜 😁

@dabr 

CFPartDeux

@dabr wrote:

@CFPartDeux wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@FrostyButters   Thanks for updating your experience so far with Shaw Mobile.  It actually sounds quite decent.

Do you know if the $0/talk/text is only free for a certain length of time or it'll stay free as long as you stay with Shaw?  It kinda seems almost too good to be true and was wondering what conditions may come with it.   I understand that it's only $0 for Shaw's current internet subscribers and non Shaw customers would be paying $15 I believe.

I too have been curious about that, and I'm sure plenty of other folks are too. On one hand, Shaw gouges enough money out of internet & TV subscribers, that they could easily afford to keep the $0 plan going, BUT, OTOH, it's Shaw, and they routinely jack up their prices, so I expect that $0 plan won't stay that way for "as long as you stay with Shaw". 🤔

@CFPartDeux   Yeah, hopefully OP will come back and explain the $0 plan details a bit more, but as to increasing prices, I don't think Shaw is any different from the other internet providers, that is they ALL seem to increase their prices/or will match the increase of their competitors.  Alas!

Well, I JUST read some stuff about it, and yes, the $0 plan is an "introductory" deal, so at some point they'll be bumping it up. That, and you are correct, i.e. non-Shaw internet customers pay $15. My guess would be that Shaw will bump the non-Shaw customers' cost to Freedom-like cost, and Shaw customers will probably then end up with the ~$15 cost. 🤔

@CFPartDeux wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@FrostyButters   Thanks for updating your experience so far with Shaw Mobile.  It actually sounds quite decent.

Do you know if the $0/talk/text is only free for a certain length of time or it'll stay free as long as you stay with Shaw?  It kinda seems almost too good to be true and was wondering what conditions may come with it.   I understand that it's only $0 for Shaw's current internet subscribers and non Shaw customers would be paying $15 I believe.

I too have been curious about that, and I'm sure plenty of other folks are too. On one hand, Shaw gouges enough money out of internet & TV subscribers, that they could easily afford to keep the $0 plan going, BUT, OTOH, it's Shaw, and they routinely jack up their prices, so I expect that $0 plan won't stay that way for "as long as you stay with Shaw". 🤔

@CFPartDeux   Yeah, hopefully OP will come back and explain the $0 plan details a bit more, but as to increasing prices, I don't think Shaw is any different from the other internet providers, that is they ALL seem to increase their prices/or will match the increase of their competitors.  Alas!

Shaw's apparent focus on grabbing customers and generating a short-term influx of working capital - a suddenly big pile of cash to burn - could indicate they're planning to expand operations. Need lots of money to buy all the hardware, licenses, and tech staff involved in new deployments.

CFPartDeux

@dude65 wrote:

Once they have many people hooked, they most likely will up the cost. I cant see them doing that pricing long term.

I would think the same, BUT, if they up the cost to something similar that's available elsewhere, and if the connection is as sketchy as many claim it is, there would likely be a mass exodus once that price goes up.

dude65
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Once they have many people hooked, they most likely will up the cost. I cant see them doing that pricing long term.

CFPartDeux

@dabr wrote:

FrostyButters

Yes. Speedtest.net app has been run several times on different days at different times in the same area's with wifi turned off on my Samsung S10. I've actually been running speed tests anywhere I think of it and the service has been great.

The Freedom Mobile plan you're quoting is a different plan that what I'm talking about with Shaw Mobile.

Shaw Mobile has Unlimited nationwide calling and texting for $0 a month for Shaw Internet customers with pay by the gig ($10 per 1 Gb nationwide with rollover data for 90 days).

The other plan is $45 a month for Unlimited nationwide calling and texting, 25Gb of data with reduced speeds after cap is reached. This plan has a 2Gb data cap on Nationwide roaming. My phone has only been on roaming a couple of times and I've used 0.1Gb or Nationwide data.

I have 3 phones on the $0 plan and 1 phone on the $45 plan.

BEER

@FrostyButters wrote:

I'm getting 75Mbps down at my house. The highest speed I've seen on a Speedtest was 128Mbps in central Abbotsford. Both tests were done with wifi off. The slowest I've seen is 6Mbps in Township of Langley in one specific area.

😉Are you sure?  

Freedom Mobile fared well in the tests, with a 45.81Mbps average download speed, 26.79Mbps average upload speed and 19.42ms average latency

ALSO as I previously mentioned. 

Their $19 price is a 12 month promo afterwards it will go up to $29. Cut and pasting below

FLASH SALE!  $19/mo. for Talk, Text and Data!

For a limited time, get 1.5GB Fast LTE Data with unlimited Canada-wide calling and global text for only $19/mo. for 12 months16, with our Digital Discount.3 Conditions apply.

(a $5 monthly credit applied to your account for up to 12 months to a maximum of $60).

CFPartDeux

@darlicious wrote:

@CFPartDeux 

Rogers supplies freedoms nationwide service but there are limits on how much you can use  it without incurring roaming charges and not all freedom plans include it. Their would be a presumption of limits put on it as well for shaw mobile customers.

THAT is something I've been wondering all along, when looking at Freedom's site, i.e. I've seen mention of "roaming", but I've never been able to find info on how they work that. I've seen mentions of possible per use charges for it too, but again, couldn't find any further detail, almost like they have to put that info out there, but they don't REALLY want you to know all the details, since it might turn off prospective customers. Given that the bro-in-law & family will be living in an area with no Freedom towers, they'll end up using roaming every time they leave the house.

@CFPartDeux 

Out there it could be sketchy but it is presumed if they sell you a service then they must be able to deliver it. If it was a contract situation then recording each time you are unable to connect to your service over a period of time is reasonable grounds to break your contract without penalty. Rogers supplies freedoms nationwide service but there are limits on how much you can use  it without incurring roaming charges and not all freedom plans include it. Their would be a presumption of limits put on it as well for shaw mobile customers.

I checked the cell tower map and noticed there's a new freedom tower on the old kingsgate mall. So they have solved the coverage problem I used to experience at home....as I also discovered my new roommate is with freedom and has no issues with his signal. However trying to contact customer service has deteriorated immensely. Live chat was down, an hours long wait on the phone all caused by the payment system turning down for different credit cards...eventually it did take a direct payment from online banking but what a frustrating experience. Call centres and live chat are only a selling point of a service if you can get thru to them.

Need Help? Let's chat.