Did you mean: 

Freedom Mobile plan looks decent

rossputin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
17 REPLIES 17

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@jojo9 wrote:

If one is relying on network service connection for business, safety, and such but still within a budget, PM does it. 

As far as safety goes, even a non-activated phone, or a phone that is roaming on any other network can make a 911 call without issue.

@Korth 

Hmmmm....freedom had always advertised itself as a no contract provider but this is clearly a plan contract without the incentive of a free device and penalties built into cancellation that normally are not charged for a plan but an ECF is usually charged to recover the cost of a device not to save $60 off the cost of a plan. $10 off for six months is usually an incentive to just gain your custom not lock you in for 2 years!

The sale of freedom to rogers still has to pass regulatory permission but it sures sounds like freedom has already adopted rogers business practices. I would run very quickly in the opposite direction of this deal/scam......or the last thing you will have is your freedom!

Get 3GB Fast LTE Data with unlimited Canada-wide calling and global text for only $24/mo.

(6 months16 of Digital Discount3 on a 24 month plan). Offer available for new Prepaid Activations only. Offer available in-store only. Offer applies to post-paid plan only. Conditions apply, eligibility requirements must be met, valid credit card required.

16 Prepaid Limited Time Offer

... You'll receive a $60 Service Credit (a $10 monthly credit applied to your account for up to 6 months to a maximum of $60) ... already factored into the advertised sale price ... then you will pay the non-advertised non-sale full price ($34/month) for the remaining (18 month) term of contract.

3 Digital Discount

... 24 month contract ("but it's not a contract, it's a Tab!"), during which you cannot change or cancel your plan without forfeiting your discounts and paying penalties. Charges will always be assessed to your credit card first, explained later.

To me it doesn't seem like a decent deal at all. They're trying to capture you in the fine print - which is sort of expected in this cut-throat sales-driven industry - but the fact that they're doing it so brazenly and callously suggests that once they get your signature and your credit card number that friendly retail smile fades away and the real face of a ruthless business ethic is revealed.

Total cost after 24 months = $756, which averages out to $31.50/month for a 3GB LTE plan. There are worse deals. But there are also better deals. And most of these deals, good or bad, don't lock you down while other (sometimes better) deals keep coming and going.

The final consideration, of course, is that Shaw (and Freedom) has been purchased by Rogers. Like it or not you'll effectively be a Rogers customer for 2 years. If Freedom doesn't even exist as a brand when it's time to renew your plan then any "history" or "loyalty" you've brought with your business will gain no recognition, no privileges, no discounts. (Compare vs Public Mobile, where each year gives you an increasing Loyalty Reward.)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 : I was going more towards people heading off into the back country because a map showed a road there and maybe suggested it as some kind of shortcut and getting stuck in snow/ice/mud/run-off etc due to being ill-equipped for it and out of cell range and way far in to reasonably walk...and dying.

It happens. Or other such calamities that have led people astray driving off bridges and the like.

@Anonymous wrote:

@popping : Just don't rely on those maps to suggest and give directions to take a back country mountain pass shortcut road in the middle of winter. 🙂

As you already know, using GPS and navigation doesn't require a constant data connection.  Not only do many mapping applications caches some map data, but maps can also be downloaded ahead of time. GPS positioning doesn't require the use of data, though it would hlep with faster GPS locks.  I guess that the mountains could interfere with the connection to the GPS satellites, that's not a cell phone carrier matter.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@popping : Just don't rely on those maps to suggest and give directions to take a back country mountain pass shortcut road in the middle of winter. 🙂

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I prefer staying with PM for the backend loyalty reward + autopay reward every month + a Canada wide network.

There is no point to pay for a network service which does not work at the time I need it the most - like trying to use Google map while I am lost on a country road.

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@rossputin Meh. They've had this for years so its not really new. Your also stuck to the Freedom network which is fine if you dont care about reliability or are at home using Wi-Fi calling. Also no rewards. 

If you want to switch go ahead but now that rogers bought Shaw Freedom is in a bad position so I would stay FAR away from them. Stick with PM and at least build up some rewards.  

If you can wait maybe take a look at dotmobile once they launch. 

Yes you have to always consider that price isn't everything, particularly with cell providers. My daughter was with Telus but then switched to Freedom. Her signal was almost non existent at her house in Coquitlam a suburb of Vancouver. She switched to PM and is back on the Telus network again.

AE_Collector

@rossputin 

If you are in an urban area with good freedom coverage (they have made some significant improvements in the last year or so....) then its a good pandemic plan for the next six months while we await vaccinations and remain in various levels of lockdown. But its drop it and switch once the promotional price ends.

@will13am wrote:

No thank you!  Been there, done that twice.  I already feel shame to have to say this.  You know the old saying fool me once, shame on you...

You must have really enjoyed Wind. The network was so good.  To be fair, they have added a lot of new sites. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

No thank you!  Been there, done that twice.  I already feel shame to have to say this.  You know the old saying fool me once, shame on you...

jojo9
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

More restricted also in major urban Vancouver, for example after a long time with Wind/FM (enough was enough). Since the beginning, I'd be in multiple areas of the city where network was expected, only to see FM was roaming on Telus repeatedly frustrating (good Telus advertising). If one is relying on network service connection for business, safety, and such but still within a budget, PM does it. But if low pricing is the main factor, you only $ave a bit, at the cost of network connectivity.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

I think the network coverage is more restricted.    If you are always around city  and urban area you might be ok.  But if you like going cottage or area, the signal might be a problem.

Hey, it will be part of Rogers or it might been sold to another company soon with the recent Rogers-Shaws deal, might be better, might be worse down the road

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@rossputin wrote:

Don't you think?

https://mobilesyrup.com/2021/03/25/freedom-mobile-offering-24-3gb-prepaid-plan-with-unlimited-canada...

I say.....read on. And do they have constant pricing, rewards, and grandfathered plans?

And whose towers do they use?

$10 off for 6 months....keep shopping....this one is a looooooser.  

675C2B49-920C-4D1B-B17E-6854422E81CB.jpeg

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Hey @rossputin 

If one is not 'tied' to PM in forfeiting referrals or loyalty rewards, it might be worth a look.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Off you go then 🙂 .

Need Help? Let's chat.