cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flu Shot at SDM

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Early riser gets the worm...

I just got my flu shot at SDM(Shoppers Drug Mart) after lunch today on the first day available in AB.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/more-important-than-ever-flu-shots-now-available-at-some-c...

5 REPLIES 5

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

I hadn't had a flu shot in 18 years. I rarely get sick

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I took my flu shot today.

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I dont like flu shot but I will take it this year because of corona virus.

Influenza vaccines usually cover multiple strains, not just one - so it's not 0% or 100% successful. You might be covered for 3 or 4 in one shot.

And the very reason that the predicted strains change each year is why it's important to get vaccinated every year. if you were immune to 2 strains out of 3 that ended up being prevalent, you might have helped prevent transmitting 1 or 2 of those strains down the line to a vulnerable individual that could not receive the vaccine for various reasons. (ie ineligible infants, immunocompromised, etc) - Help out those folks by getting it if you are eligible and able.

It is just as important to vaccinate to limit the spread to those around you, along with yourself...

Being able to get the shot conveniently with a drop-in to SDM is a great bonus. Done it for myself and my kids the last couple years.

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

My wife is a nurse, and she never got the flu vaccine, for the very reason that was stated a couple of times in that article:

"influenza in particular changes so dramatically from year to year"

"Dickinson said the flu shot “isn’t perfect” but is proven to reduce chances of contracting influenza. Its effectiveness this year will come down to “the luck of the draw,” he said."

That is to say, they prepare a flu vaccine every year, based on which strain they think MIGHT show up, and from what my wife tells me, they're wrong most, or all, of the time.

Having said that, I have to wonder if the strain they vaccinate for SOMETIMES is close enough to the one that actually shows up, that it actually makes SOME difference, otherwise it would seem to be a colossal waste of time & money...... 🤔

Need Help? Let's chat.